Anyone else think a smooth finish, rounded sides and a 200g phone is a recipe for disaster?

Guest AndyO

Should have changed my name to prophet of doom I think:)

I love my Vario III. Even though I've got MicroSD problems posted below, its a brilliant bit of kit and I'm chuffed to bits to finally get a Kaiser after waiting for months to do so!

However, one of the first things I did on getting it out of its case for the first time when it rang, was fumble it and nearly drop it! Thanks to the Vario IIIs silky finish, it damn near hit the deck which at the time was a concrete pavement....not the best combo I'm thinking. And well built as it is, there's no way that hinge would weather a fall onto concrete if it landed on the edge!

Am I right in thinking that the HTC version actually has a rubberised (silicone) backing plate? That would be an incredibly sensible choice for a handset of this weight, especially when it doesn't exactly sit in your palm and stay there! Think I may be trawling eBay for a replacement backing plate to keep it pristine for as long as possible ;)

And on that negative note I might as well go and create a positive post too...back in a sec :wub:

rubberised (silicone) backing plate?

only ever so slightly - more like a rubbery film sprayed onto the thin pastic backing plate - i dont think it offers any sort of protection from droppage :s

Guest Shuflie
rubberised (silicone) backing plate?

only ever so slightly - more like a rubbery film sprayed onto the thin pastic backing plate - i dont think it offers any sort of protection from droppage :s

I think he was referring to added grip rather than any shock protection from the rubberised coating.

I think he was referring to added grip rather than any shock protection from the rubberised coating.

I was indeed! Is it quite 'grippy' for want of a better word?

Guest Mr.Clark
Anyone else think a smooth finish, rounded sides and a 200g phone is a recipe for disaster?
Funny, I thought you were talking about the iPhone ;)

Guest Tallyman

At least they're looking at better processors now - I'm using the 'Touch' which would be a great bit of kit (note: rubberised body) apart from a pathetic processor & pathetic RAM.

Yes, the HTC one is rubbery.

Someone should start selling those seperately :wub:

P

Yup, definitely gonna keep my eyes peeled. I'm cr*pping myself every time I take it out of the case!

To make matters worse I'm a left hander and to use the scroll wheel I've got to hold it in my right hand so its not a thumb wheel for me, which increases the likelihood of a drop! Hopefully it'll last until I can get a spare from HTC somewhere ;)))

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

Get a wrist lanyard, I have. You connect this to the bottom of your phone and whenever you do anything with the phone you grab the lanyard first and pop it over your wrist. Now it doesn't matter if the phone slips from your hand as it's attached to you.

A small investment that will stop you dropping your phone.

Regards

Phil

Guest UncleJimbo

I lost count of the number of times I dropped my XDA Mini S simply cos the damn thing was so shiny!! One reason I'm really glad I got the TyTN II over the VIII ;)