Exploring Yahoo! Go day 3... Flickr

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Welcome to the third post in our 'Exploring Yahoo! Go' series!

Exploring Yahoo! Go day 3... Flickr

The third installment of our Yahoo! Go tour takes us to the 'Flickr' entry on the carousel.

Flickr, purchased by Yahoo! in March 2005, is an online photo album. As you would expect therefore, the Flickr item in Go allows you to view Flickr photos, as well as uploading to and managing your own library.

When you move your cursor to the Flickr item (without clicking), you'll see recent Flickr photos at the top, and then 3 links below - 'My photos', 'Upload photos' and 'Share your photos'. We'll work from the top down.

The group of photos you see at the top are the photo explorer. These are photos that have been recently uploaded to Flickr, by other members... images that Flickr classes as 'interesting'. You can select one of these photos to view additional information (a full size view, description, uploader details, tags etc.), as well as adding the photo to your favourites or adding a comment. In the initial view, you can select 'Explore' if you wish to explore more of these photos than those that are initially displayed.

Then next option is 'My photos'. This is where you can manage your Flickr library. Upon selecting this option, you see the screen split between photos in the 'root' of your own library, and those that you have arranged into 'Sets'. In the screenshot below, you'll see I have 13 photos that aren't in a set and a 'HTC Launch 01/10/07' set that contains 31 photos. You can click an item here to view the contained photos. From the resulting list of photos you can view full screen, delete the photo or add a comment.

These options apply whether you are viewing items either in the 'root' or in a set... it should be noted that although you can view sets, you don't have any ability in Go to add / rename / remove sets.

Below the 'My photos' option sits 'Upload photos'. The functionality here is pretty predictable :D Upon selection, you are presented with a list of photos on your device. After marking the images you wish to upload, selecting 'Upload now' allows you to edit the title, description, tags and privacy settings. These settings can be set per photo, or for all - a handy feature. After doing so, hit 'Done' and you photos will be uploaded to your Flickr account. Piece of cake! What is worth noting here is that you cannot define the destination set for the uploaded photo(s) - they are always uploaded to the 'root'.

The final option in the Flickr carousel view is to 'Share your photos'. This allows you to select email recipients (optionally flagged with groups such as 'friends' or 'family'), who are then emailed a link to your Flickr album. Neato! ;)

Screen029.jpgScreen030.jpgScreen039.jpgScreen040.jpg

Screen031.jpgScreen032.jpgScreen033.jpgScreen034.jpg

Screen035.jpgScreen036.jpgScreen037.jpgScreen038.jpg

With most of the Go carousel items, additional options are revealed when you click the carousel icon, and Flickr is no exception. Upon clicking, the expanded list of options contains - in the 'My photos' section - 'Upload photos', 'My photos', 'My favourites', 'Recent activity', 'My comments', in the 'Contacts' photos' section I only see 'Invite your friends', but that's probably because I don't have any Flickr friends. Sob! :D In 'Explore Flickr', you'll find 'Everyone's photos' and 'Interesting photos'. We covered the main options above, and I think the others are self explanatory! I've included some screenshots however, so you can get a feel for the application in use.

There are also some additional options that appear on the carousel 'Options' menu when Flickr is highlighted. One is 'Flickr Tips' which offers a host of tips on getting the most from Flickr. In the 'Settings' menu, you can select which comments are displayed (based on a time period), which photo sets are displayed, as well as managing your Flickr contacts.

Screen041.jpgScreen042.jpgScreen043.jpgScreen044.jpgScreen045.jpg

Finally, i'd like to end our tour my thoughts on the Flickr application. I find it useful, and it works very well. I think with the addition of better support for sets and the option to automatically upload photos as they are taken (a-la-Shozu?), it could be perfect.

If you're a Flickr user, or just want to make the most of an online photo album, check out Flickr and Yahoo Go! :wub:

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.