gps operation

Guest predo1

Guest predo1

I'm wondering how gps on vario III works. When I run gmaps or visualgpsce and set it to serial port 4 i get data stream which is alright.

Is however gps working all other time when there is no request from applications? I'm just curious how is this managed. Anyone knows?

Guest predo1

so as a user I have no control over that process whatsoever? Do we know any timeout's lets say how long after there is no activity on port4 does it turn off ?

Guest Neil5459

You don't need control over the process- as long as there is a call to COM4 the data stream will continue; any process needing GPS data will call to COM4, keeping the port open.

I don't know what the timeout is (I have a Trinity, which has no GPS LED!)

Guest FlangeArtist
I don't know what the timeout is (I have a Trinity, which has no GPS LED!)

I'd really like to know what the time-out is, so that my applications that I am working on can take this into account! Does anyone know?

Guest the_ape
I'd really like to know what the time-out is, so that my applications that I am working on can take this into account! Does anyone know?

After a quick experiment it looks like it's around the 10 second mark... If I launch TomTom, then close it wait less than 10 seconds and relaunch it it locks imediatly. If I wait any longer it drops the lock and takes time to re aquire.

Not Scientific, but hey