Using the phone for "Data Transfer"?

Guest sc0user_75

Guest sc0user_75

I just hooked up my VIII using the USB cable expecting the phone to show up on my Desktop. But nothing happened!

Is it possible to use the phone a little bit like a USB Stick - whereby you can save and transfer files and music from one computer to another?

I checked the USB options in Settings but couldn't find anything.

Guest the_ape
I just hooked up my VIII using the USB cable expecting the phone to show up on my Desktop. But nothing happened!

Is it possible to use the phone a little bit like a USB Stick - whereby you can save and transfer files and music from one computer to another?

I checked the USB options in Settings but couldn't find anything.

I would say RTFM... but no that harsh, just pull down Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 and you will be good to go....

Guest sc0user_75

Sorry lads. You're right, I should have mentioned the Mac thing!

But I think I also was not clear about exactly what I meant... What I want to do is hook up the phone, via USB, to act simply as a USB Stick kinda storage device. So I can drag and drop files from numerous computers without the need for Active Sync... or Mac alternative software.

This is possible on almost all new phones - Nokia, SE, Samsung etc

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

But I think I also was not clear about exactly what I meant... What I want to do is hook up the phone, via USB, to act simply as a USB Stick kinda storage device. So I can drag and drop files from numerous computers without the need for Active Sync... or Mac alternative software.

As far as I know this is not available on the Kaiser, you are write it is on a lot of phones, just not this one.

Regards

Phil

Guest burrzoo

It is possible but you need to purchase MarkSpaces "Missing Sync" for windows mobile (http://www.markspace.com/ ). I'm using it on my old PowerBook and it has a button to "mount" the device. Drag and Drop files works perfectly, just like any other USB dongle/storage device. Sometimes you just have to spend more money. This software syncs great with Entourage and SplashID etc. I really like it. ;)

Edited by burrzoo

Guest jimbouk

I find it amazing that anyone can post that a WM device can't be used to transfer files between computers...

With XP, use activesync, with Vista use WMDC and with Mac, use the Missing Sync.

Guest sc0user_75

Burrzoo, I'm defo going to order missing sync. Just been a little lazy in downloading it :I

But my main point was that IMO a device such as the Kaiser should not really need any further apps in order for it to act like a USB Stick.

I go to many clients who will 100% not have anything like Active Sync or Missing Sync etc so I would not be able to hook up my phone to their computers as a USB Storage Device.

Lesser technical phones even have this facility - so why not Kaiser?

Guest the_ape
Burrzoo, I'm defo going to order missing sync. Just been a little lazy in downloading it :I

But my main point was that IMO a device such as the Kaiser should not really need any further apps in order for it to act like a USB Stick.

I go to many clients who will 100% not have anything like Active Sync or Missing Sync etc so I would not be able to hook up my phone to their computers as a USB Storage Device.

Lesser technical phones even have this facility - so why not Kaiser?

Wander over to http://www.modaco.com/downloads-file1702.html, grab a copy of the latest WM5Storage and you will be good to go....

There is a know issue with it and the Kaiser, so might be worth waiting for a new version (1.75 is the current version AFAIK).

Worth looking on XDA-Developers as well.

Guest sc0user_75

Thanks Ape for the link. I'll wait for the update. It seems only round the corner.

PS I didnt know that Windows Mobile 5 stuff would work with WM6. I have some old stuff that may work on the VIII. I even have tomtom 5 (hopefully it works too)