Vario III Going Back

Guest mcwarre

Guest mcwarre

Well after 5 days of playing with it I am gonna send it back and cancel contract. Why?

What I do with a phone?

- The odd voice call

- Internet browsing

- Email

- Tomtom (inc traffic)

- Total data usage on GPRS is normally about 8-10MB

- Games

- Music

Positives :wub:

- New Gadget

- Fast data (when in signal which is half the problem)

- Can have 6GB storage card

Negatives ;)

- Shocking battery life (not even 2 days of low usage)

- £139.99 plus £32.50 / month (Flext 25 and W&W max) will not be used as I have a 3 phone for voice

- Can get data (GPRS) capped at £1 / day when used (at home/work I use wi-fi)

It doesn't impress me sufficiently over my K-Jam to warrant nearly £725 over 18 months. In perspective that is more than the insurance for both our cars will cost for the same period...................

Guest Dale Pearson

I think you need to do what you think is right for you.

I do agree in general the cost of ownership of most phones during the contract is a long time, so I think its important to get the most usage out of it as possible.

Good luck with your next new gadget

Guest mcwarre
I think you need to do what you think is right for you.

I do agree in general the cost of ownership of most phones during the contract is a long time, so I think its important to get the most usage out of it as possible.

Good luck with your next new gadget

Cheers Dale. I was waiting for people to counter my thoughts; you have backed them up. TVM.

Cheers Dale. I was waiting for people to counter my thoughts; you have backed them up. TVM.

But... It's soo shiny.... ;)

You do what you need to do for yourself. I've been waiting for a faster, better phone with everything all in one for the last 9 months. My poor Mini S can't keep up with me. At the moment I'm using both whilst my number transfers and the Mini S is like a 386 to me now :wub:

Guest LeeJS1

I don't understand it either, but you've got to do what's right for your situation.

Personally, short of a VGA screen and a faster processor, this little baby has everything I need right now. OK, maybe a full dialpad on the front, smaller form factor, better battery life and more memory would be good, but right now there's no other phone in the market that has everything I need in one unit.

Guest mcwarre
I don't understand it either, but you've got to do what's right for your situation.

Personally, short of a VGA screen and a faster processor, this little baby has everything I need right now. OK, maybe a full dialpad on the front, smaller form factor, better battery life and more memory would be good, but right now there's no other phone in the market that has everything I need in one unit.

The improvement over the K-Jam is not enough (especially considering the battery life issues).

Guest andysalmon

I know what you mean. I love my Vario it's great, but...I really want and use GPS, so built in is a god send. That's the only reason I've got a VIII and didn't get a VII when they came out. Don't spend all that cash if you don't need or want to. Personally I would have preferred a P3600i, but the VIII was cheaper by far.

Guest pjam001

I've got to be honest, i've been undecided for the last week and a half. There's no hiding all the bells and whistles but i was a little unsure about the size and whether i could make full use of it's features.

I compared to a Touch that is so small and confortable to use.

I considered that i already had a BT GPS receiver.

I considered that i cannot get 3g coverage at work or home.

I considered that I had paid £100.

Despite the above negatives, i've tonight decided to keep the vario 3.

I'm finding the keyboard very handy to use. Allowing the screen to be uncluttered without a SIP.

I've discovered that i can also use my BT GPS receiver should i require a longer battery life.

I've discovered that if the phone is just used the same as ordinary phones, the battery life is fine. Its using all the extra features and basically having the backlight on for long periods that give poor battery performance.

I've just been told that t-mobile will be incorporating Three's 3g coverage from next year. (covers my area)

It was a very difficult decision, as anyone on the Palringo/Modaco group will tell you. (been going on about it for long enough) ;)

pjam

Guest Webreaper
You do what you need to do for yourself. I've been waiting for a faster, better phone with everything all in one for the last 9 months. My poor Mini S can't keep up with me. At the moment I'm using both whilst my number transfers and the Mini S is like a 386 to me now :D

Nail/head interface. ;)

After nearly 18 months with a Mini S, having a device which runs Wm6, has enough RAM/ROM to run the OS properly, has enough CPU power to stay responsive whilst running GPS, Mortplayer, PIE, Outlook and copying an MP3 file across the WLAN, it's like a breath of fresh air. I carry one device, can do just about everything I need on it, and it's a neat toy too. However, if you're not using it for mobile mail/web, terminal services, satnav, a music player, and various other things, I can see how it may not be for you.

Battery life is 1-2 days, but I have a USB charger at my desk, one in the car, and one at home, so am rarely more than a few feet from a power source if I need one. And if I don't do 3-4MB of email/web surfing per day on GPRS, a whole load more via wifi, and don't spend 3 hours/day listening to music, I get pretty respectable life out of mine.

It's costly, but my choice was either a decend PDA with embedded satnav, or a new phone, new laptop (for my daily commute) and a standalone Satnav unit - which would have worked out as more expensive than the PDA on its own.

And, as somebody already said, it's shiny. :wub:

Guest DJ_Enigma

I've just arranged to have mine exchanged because it runs slower than my Mini S and the box was battered.

I'm tempted to "forget" to put the battery in the box in light of the opinions of battery life here.

DJ

Guest Webreaper
I've just arranged to have mine exchanged because it runs slower than my Mini S and the box was battered.

I'm tempted to "forget" to put the battery in the box in light of the opinions of battery life here.

Slower than a Mini S?!?! ;)

Sounds like a major fault, my TyTN2 is significantly faster than my old Mini S.

Guest knonist
Slower than a Mini S?!?! ;)

Sounds like a major fault, my TyTN2 is significantly faster than my old Mini S.

Somehow i regerted for ordering the phone....

Total ownership for the phone = £32/month + £9 insurance * 18 + £6 delivery= £744

even if i drop the insurance after 6 month and switch to a cheaper traiff after the 11th months it will still cost me:

((32+9)*6) +(32*5)+(15*6)+6 = £502!!

I might just keep my SE k800i then sign up for one of those 12 months free traiff and buy a new pda instead.

I might not even open the box and return it stright away. or even not to collect it to save the returning cost...

Guest Deathace

I am on the whole really pleased with the phone and now that pof @ xda has CID unlocked it I am sure there is much more to gain in changing the roms to get what you want out of it not what the operators want you to get. I can sum up the bonus of getting this over the MDA Vario/II in 3 words "BUILT IN GPS" now if you don't do a lot of travelling then this wont mean much to you but I work all over the world and the fact of having 1 device that does EVERYTHING over the MDA Vario/II needing the BTGPS and pissing about with the dual wire/charger which in most vehicles means its dangling round the gear knob or dials on the dash which pissed me off enough. Now I have 1 charger cable with a cradle for the vent (HR from gpsforless on eBay) TomTom works instantly no pairing no configuring etc

If you compare the uses of this phone/pda/satnav/mp3 player/office/games machine etc etc to the cost of individual items you are looking at the cost of a tomtom one on its own for more than what I paid for the phone. And regardless of you paying x amount x 18 months x whatever other bollox, you pay that anyway with most networks regardless of the phone subsidy so whats the problem?

Anyway another happy camper !!!

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcwarre
I am on the whole really pleased with the phone and now that pof @ xda has CID unlocked it I am sure there is much more to gain in changing the roms to get what you want out of it not what the operators want you to get. I can sum up the bonus of getting this over the MDA Vario/II in 3 words "BUILT IN GPS" now if you don't do a lot of travelling then this wont mean much to you but I work all over the world and the fact of having 1 device that does EVERYTHING over the MDA Vario/II needing the BTGPS and pissing about with the dual wire/charger which in most vehicles means its dangling round the gear knob or dials on the dash which pissed me off enough. Now I have 1 charger cable with a cradle for the vent (HR from gpsforless on eBay) TomTom works instantly no pairing no configuring etc

If you compare the uses of this phone/pda/satnav/mp3 player/office/games machine etc etc to the cost of individual items you are looking at the cost of a tomtom one on its own for more than what I paid for the phone. And regardless of you paying x amount x 18 months x whatever other bollox, you pay that anyway with most networks regardless of the phone subsidy so whats the problem?

Anyway another happy camper !!!

Russ

You need to be realistic. Most people are talking about upgrade costs so they already have all that bollox stuff you mention

Guest jimbouk

Seems to me that the OP was talking about paying all that money for phone and contract when he has a company 3g phone anyway...

(I would just have bought one from explansys and chucked my company sim in it... and then had the option to sell it on if I wanted to).

Guest mcwarre
Seems to me that the OP was talking about paying all that money for phone and contract when he has a company 3g phone anyway...

(I would just have bought one from explansys and chucked my company sim in it... and then had the option to sell it on if I wanted to).

If you mean the OP, that's me, I wasn't referring to a company phone. Neither, seemingly, was deathace.... Confused ;) :(

Guest jimbouk
If you mean the OP, that's me, I wasn't referring to a company phone. Neither, seemingly, was deathace.... Confused ;) :(

Ah... maybe not company then but you referred to having a "3 phone for voice" ... so you were going to take out an 18 month T Mobile contract on a device, when you already have a personal 3 contract? Just so you could use it for data? Why not just buy an unlocked Tytn2, get the £10 a month 3 data add on and bob... is... your... uncle.