What GPS software VIII comes with?

Guest knonist

Guest Neil5459
tom tom or co pilot?

Much depends on where you live, and which packages are available. Some regions sell the TyTnII Premium which has a full version of TomTom (but costs more than a TyTnII and TTN6 bought separately!); other regions phone operators supply (or will soon supply) with Co-Pilot.

UK supplied TyTnII's should contain the taster version, but as andy says, it's pretty worthless unless to check whether you like it or not. The links to buy the full maps cost a lot more than downloadng the maps from TomTom's website, because they are mail order of hard media.

Been looking on the TomTom website and thinking about getting Navigator.

Can you just download the Navigator software or do you have to have it sent to you on their memory card?

TIA guys and girls.

Guest Neil5459

You can download TTN6 from the website, but remember some of the files are very large- the UK Maps are 200MB and EU is 950MB.

From the TomTom home page, you can select Maps from the list on the left hand side; this takes you to an explanation page with a 'Buy Now' button.

You will then need to select your 'existing product'; if you already have a TTN6 Taster Version, then select Navigator 6; if not select Navigator 5 (even if you don't have Navigator 5!) which will download the TTN6 operating software as well as the maps. You then need to select a device- choose the Orange SPV range , as the newer devices aren't listed yet. (Don't choose the HTC 3600 as that will only give you a choice of Asian maps for some reason. ); you can then choose the map you want and proceed to the checkout.

Guest dolphinit
You can download TTN6 from the website, but remember some of the files are very large- the UK Maps are 200MB and EU is 950MB.

From the TomTom home page, you can select Maps from the list on the left hand side; this takes you to an explanation page with a 'Buy Now' button.

You will then need to select your 'existing product'; if you already have a TTN6 Taster Version, then select Navigator 6; if not select Navigator 5 (even if you don't have Navigator 5!) which will download the TTN6 operating software as well as the maps. You then need to select a device- choose the Orange SPV range , as the newer devices aren't listed yet. (Don't choose the HTC 3600 as that will only give you a choice of Asian maps for some reason. ); you can then choose the map you want and proceed to the checkout.

Just tried that.

Got the maps now on Vario III's memory card but no software or way to download it :-(

Maps downloaded with TomTom home by the way

After going through the support I stumbled accross this link & it worked

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6736&Lid=1

Edited by dolphinit

Guest Phil Lee
After going through the support I stumbled accross this link & it worked

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6736&Lid=1

After seeing this thread yesterday I bought the Western European map. I had a lot of trouble downloading the map cab file (why oh why does TomTom Home not support download resume). I finally managed to get it downloaded last night and installed on my phone. At that point I was snookered because I couldn't see any way to install Navigator 6. I went to bed thinking I'd bought a pup, especially after noticing some small text saying that the maps can only be used if you already own TomTom product. This morning I rang up TT support and was pointed at the page you referred to. I clicked the link and lo and behold the Navigator 6 software downloaded itself into TT Home and then installed itself onto my VIII. I used it this morning for the first time and had no problems getting it to work with the VIII.

If you can manage the download 1Gb download for the WE cab file this is a quick and cheap way to buy TT. Western Europe cost me £69.95. If I had only wanted the UK and Ireland it only costs £41.95. That's good value compared with the boxed versions at £87.02 and £66.79 plus you don't have to wait for delivery ;)

Edited by Phil Lee

Guest Neil5459

Thanks for the heads-up about the lack of TTN core software when buying downloaded maps- did you both select 'Navigator 5' as your existing product? If so, then TomTom's info that TTN6 will be downloaded with the map is incorrect. (just because you may have owned TTN5 doesn't mean it will still be on the device, so TT Home wouldn't find it, if it's doing an eligibility check!)

Guest Phil Lee
Thanks for the heads-up about the lack of TTN core software when buying downloaded maps- did you both select 'Navigator 5' as your existing product? If so, then TomTom's info that TTN6 will be downloaded with the map is incorrect. (just because you may have owned TTN5 doesn't mean it will still be on the device, so TT Home wouldn't find it, if it's doing an eligibility check!)

As I said in my post, everything worked out in the end once I was pointed to the page to download the latest version of TTN6. I selected Navigator 5 and set my device to the T-Mobile selection. I was annoyed that it didn't work automatically but once I went to the correct page on the TT site I was able to get TTN6 up and running for the cost of the WE map.