2125 Dying?

Guest bowdowntozoltan

Guest bowdowntozoltan

My directional key is dying. not wanting to work at random times. Goes other ways when I tell it to go one way and such.

Getting random shut offs.

I was texting someone, locked the phone put it in my pocket and it was off. Then all my text messages from the past 1 hour were gone.

I am hesitant to do a factory reset, because I have a lot of stuff on here that I really dont want to lose.

I want to keep the apps I have but i want my phone to work right.

Its driving me nuts having to turn off my phone and jam around the joystick to get it to work for 5 minutes and then have troubles again....

Guest awarner (MVP)

You would need to do a hard reset to wipe the phone to confirm that the fault is a hardware and not software issue.

From what you have said it sounds like a hardware issue though.

My directional key is dying. not wanting to work at random times. Goes other ways when I tell it to go one way and such.

Getting random shut offs.

I was texting someone, locked the phone put it in my pocket and it was off. Then all my text messages from the past 1 hour were gone.

I am hesitant to do a factory reset, because I have a lot of stuff on here that I really dont want to lose.

I want to keep the apps I have but i want my phone to work right.

Its driving me nuts having to turn off my phone and jam around the joystick to get it to work for 5 minutes and then have troubles again....

smartphone_malware.txt

Sorry, to say but the problem is SW you need to bring your phone to factory settings and re-install all your applications as I did, no big deal.

Well, at least this is what I found:

The Malware resides is in the Flash Memory Card. How it got there? Well, .. since I did not access the web with this phone at least that I am aware of, has to be thru. one of the applications I installed. Malware worked its way to the Media Player making un-operable some of he functions of the phone including the joystick, a bit every time like 5 months?.

First I reseted my phone to factory setting.

The player worked once and the problem came back right away!

Then I re-formatted my 1GB kingstone flash card this way:

E:\>format e: (*while out of the phone!!!*)

bla, bla ....

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if the volume is dismounted first. (note the flash card was out of the phone)

ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. (this crap you don't see it is hidding)

Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? y

volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.

Initializing the File Allocation Table ..........

volume label <11 characters, ENTER for none>?

Invalid media or Track 0 bad -disk unusable. (So, my flash was damaged, I replaced with another 2GB Kingstone, sofar it is OK, 3 days now)

E:\

///

Note: the Malware file(s) are hiding some where in the flash card, all what you see is your files in there.

Nice would be to have an application that will detect the crap and remove it.

After reading some post on the subject I can tell that the flash card size and made does not matter.

Just to be safe I reseted the phone again to factory settings.

Now, after installing a new 2GB flash card with all my sounds ... No problems any more, my phone start functions as it did once!

Be aware, after loading your flash card all its contents will be wipped out while listen to music, in my case.

Don't panic! just reinstall your files into the flash and your done!

I think my problem started with the "smarturke" scientific calculator crap, I deleted that program but by them it was late.

good luck!

Guest mastman

I have not taken a 2125 apart, only a SMT5600. I don't have it here at work with me so this is from memory. Inside the battery compartment there were 4 or 5 tiny (maybe torx) screws; one was underneath the warranty "void" label. I seem to remember that it came apart pretty easily after that. Watch for ribbon cables that may be connecting the two halves.

My joystick has hit the bricks in the last few months too. It never was great and seemed angled up. It is a real pain to navigate up a list. I just bought a new phone off eBay for a co-worker and the joystick is perfect. Maybe I should switch! I have considered taking mine apart like you are to see if I can fix it, but until it really dies I don't want to risk it. Warranty is long gone for me as this is an eBay phone too.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. mastman