Speed of VIII vs VII

Guest sc0user_75

Guest sc0user_75

Lads, following on from a post I just made on another thread - I was playing about with my mates Vario II last night.

To my shock and embarassment, his VII was A LOT faster than my VIII. Quicker opening applications. Quicker on the net. Everything. Surely this cannot be right, can it?

My first VIII went back to T-Mobile as it was scratched. This one was quite slow. My second one came, and this was just as slow. So I doubt very much that I have a faulty handset (unless I am incredibly unlucky to get to dodgy pieces!!!)

If possible, can someone else please do a similar quick check.

Thanks

Guest Swampie
I think my VI is quicker than my VIII.

My Vario III is much much faster than my old Vario I. TomTom takes seconds to load vs ages on the Vario I.

Of course being 3G & HSDPA gives it faster network access but I found the Vario I quite slow over WiFi (compared to the broadband speed the WiFi is connected to. however the Vario III is much faster over the same WiFi connection.

I had always been annoyed by the sluggishness of my Vario I when scrolling, loading apps etc.

Quite simply the Vario III is what the Vario I should have been

Guest sc0user_75

Well, just to play it safe, and after reading your comments about yours being faster, I'm getting my VIII exchanged again tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky!

Guest the_ape
My XDA Mini S (Same as VI) is dog slow compared to my Vario III. It's awesome.

Notice that if you install the T-Mobile stuff it's not as performant, so I hard reset it and didn't let the extended Rom run, much better....

Someone could've told me that way back before I set it all up, I'm not setting it all up again now! ;)

I find the performance amazing now anyway, maybe i'll do that some other time

Guest DJ_Enigma
Notice that if you install the T-Mobile stuff it's not as performant, so I hard reset it and didn't let the extended Rom run, much better....

When I did that my phone showed up an error message whenever I pressed the web n walk button so I formatted again and ran the T mob stuff in the end.

Get my new one in the morning so I'll report in then ;)

Guest sc0user_75
When I did that my phone showed up an error message whenever I pressed the web n walk button so I formatted again and ran the T mob stuff in the end.

Get my new one in the morning so I'll report in then ;)

Same 'ere. Get it hopefully first thing in the morning.

Alas, I have a very sneaky feeling it'll feel just as slow as my last 2 :wub:

Guest sc0user_75

UPDATE LADS AS I HAVE JUST TRIED OUT MY 3rd VIII

...and yup I was right. It in terms of speed opening up applications etc it feels exactly the same as my last 2 VIII's.

Oh well - I can only put it down to the fact that we have more software on our phones than the VII's.........

Guest The Doctor
Yes! Uninstall that, then see what u think :wub:

P

This of course begs the question... Why the hell do you need AV software on a WM device? ;)

Phil

Guest Swampie
Yup. Still installed. But this wont make the device run slower, would it?

Considering it's running in the background monitoring the file accesses, checking each file for virus signatures etc. It's very common for poor anti-virus apps on PCs to cause the machine to grind to a halt on occasions. On a very limited device such as a PDA, I'd expect it to be more noticeable.

The first thing I did was uninstall F-Secure, so that might explain the differences you're seeing.

Guest Shuflie

Don't forget to come back and update us, if (as you probably will find to be the case) its much quicker it would be a pity to leave others wanting to get the device with the wrong impression.

Guest sc0user_75

Shuflie, you're always guaranteed an update from me ;) The least I can do for all the help and advice you guys give me... and for putting up with my persistant paranoia :I

Guest jimbouk

Interesting how this thread is about V3 vs V2 and a few people have posted that theiir V3 is faster than their V1...

Lets make sure all are comparing like for like...

one area that feels slower to me is internet explorer that seems to take longer to format/align large pages.

Otherwise in general I don't really notice much difference between my Vario III and old Vario II out of the box, but after i had flashed Blackv3.0 my VII it was significantly faster. Here's waiting for some nice Cabs from the folks at xda developers...