I think I've been had over!

Guest andysalmon

Guest andysalmon

I upgraded my account from WNW 200 with 1/2 price line rental to a Vario III. I haggled a bit with the rep at T-Mobile upgrades and we settled at £100 for the handset to remain on my tariff with discounted line rental (she specifically mentioned that as a reason for not having the handset cheaper)- a good bargain I thought.

Last night I checked my account on line. They have me listed for WNW 200 at FULL price (£32.50) on a stated 12 month plan which is due to expire in 18 months time!

I've fired off an email asking for any tapes to be pulled and listened to, but if the call wasn't recorded where will I stand? I can't PROVE anything and neither can they but they've got my account! Absolutely no mention was made of an 18 month contract (which TBH I would be happy with, but on the 1/2 price plan) so I didn't ask as she said I would remain on the same plan, and took this to mean a continuation being 12 months.

What do you think? Does anyone here have any inside knowledge of T-Mob? If not publically then via PM- I HATE getting shafted!!

From the very short experience I've had with T-Mobile they're very keen on keeping the customer happy. I think you should just go ahead and give them a call/email and they'll sort it out with a bit of luck. Infact I emailed them and less than 24 hours I got a call back from a very nice lady.

Guest Chainfire
I upgraded my account from WNW 200 with 1/2 price line rental to a Vario III. I haggled a bit with the rep at T-Mobile upgrades and we settled at £100 for the handset to remain on my tariff with discounted line rental (she specifically mentioned that as a reason for not having the handset cheaper)- a good bargain I thought.

Last night I checked my account on line. They have me listed for WNW 200 at FULL price (£32.50) on a stated 12 month plan which is due to expire in 18 months time!

I've fired off an email asking for any tapes to be pulled and listened to, but if the call wasn't recorded where will I stand? I can't PROVE anything and neither can they but they've got my account! Absolutely no mention was made of an 18 month contract (which TBH I would be happy with, but on the 1/2 price plan) so I didn't ask as she said I would remain on the same plan, and took this to mean a continuation being 12 months.

What do you think? Does anyone here have any inside knowledge of T-Mob? If not publically then via PM- I HATE getting shafted!!

Just call them, I'm sure they'll clear things up. And yes, there WILL be a recording of that phone call (for various reasons - but you can be damn sure recordings of all calls are kept at least a couple of weeks). The question is if they will admit it!

Guest andysalmon

Thanks for the advice so far- I have sent an email which has been automatically acknowledged. The tape is going to be the saving grace here so we'll wait and see I guess!

Guest andysalmon
14 day cooling off period.............Safe!

I know I can cancel, but I went to some trouble to arrange this contract with them and they set the terms out and I would like them to abide by 'em. After all it was a good deal (or I thought so!).

Guest andysalmon

I've had a reply...not what I wanted to hear! I initially wrote:

"I have just upgraded my phone for a fee. The calltaker stated that

I would remain on the same plan without any adjustments. I have just

reviewed my account and discovered that my discount has been removed and I

am on an 18 month plan despite being shown on wnw 200? Please review the

recording of that call as that forms the basis of our contract. I look

forward to your informed response after reviewing the conversation. Thanks"

They have just replied with:

"Thanks for emailing Andy, to let me know that you've just upgraded your phone, and were advised your plan would remain the same without any adjustments. I'm so sorry that your discount has been removed, and that you weren't aware you'd enter into another 18 month contract. I can fully understand your concerns, and I'm pleased you've emailed me about this.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to listen to the call from when you rang us to upgrade. We only record our calls at random, and they are used only for training purposes.

The half price line rental discount you previously had was for 12 months. You received this in months 1 to 9 then months 16 to 18. The discount then stayed on your account until you upgraded.

I fully agree that you should have been told this when you upgraded however, when you accepted this discount on 24 February 2006, you ordered this online therefore, the terms and conditions of this promotion would have been shown. These terms and conditions did advise that you'd loose your discount once you upgraded. Unfortunately because of this Andy, I can't add your discount back on.

With regards to the 18 months plan, you do agree to another contract with us when you upgrade. I can see that a letter was sent to you explaining that you'd extended your contract with us for a further 18 months.

Although I hope you decide against it, you do have a 7 day cooling off period with your new contract. If you're unhappy with your phone, or your new contract, you can return it back to us, and your account will be reset allowing you to either upgrade again, or cancel your contract. Please be aware that the last day of this period is tomorrow (10 October).

If you do decide you'd like to return your phone, you can let us know in the following ways:

7 By Post to: Distribution and Delivery Helpdesk, T-Mobile, 4 Main Street, Greenock, PA15 1AE.

7 By Fax to: +44 (0)1475884651.

7 By email to: [email protected].

Once we've received your notice, we'll let you know and send you packaging within 3 to 5 working days so you can return the phone. We'll refund any money to you within 30 days of receiving your notice.

Once again, I'm so sorry for any disappointment or confusion this may have caused.

Thanks again for taking the time to email me about this Andy. I hope that I've explained this clearly, and that you do decide to continue with your new contract.

Please feel free to reply to my email if you have any other questions.

Kind regards

Kelly

Customer Services Email Team

T-Mobile"

I wasvery disappointed. It sounds like- thanks for letting us know, but this is how it's going to be! I have sent this reply:

"The call taker specifically stated that she could not reduce the price of the phone without losing my line rental discount. I accepted. In other words she contracted T Mobile when she said that. There was no mention AT ALL of an 18 month contract. To date I have not received any documentation from T Mobile apart from the packing slip. I realise the postal strike may be affecting this. Are you saying that the phone call is definitely NOT recorded I would like that checked please.

To evidence this further why on earth would I opt to continue a WnW 200 plan for £32.50 monthly when I could have a better FLEXT plan or similar for the same money? My previous T & Cs stated that my discount would be lost if I changed my plan NOT if the phone was changed.

I am willing to compromise at an 18 month contract but I expect T Mobile to honour your contract. If necessary I expect investigation to be conducted i) with the calltaker ii) to check whether it is recorded.

As time is now very precious due to the late notification of my rights I would request the reply to this is by way of phone call which I would like recorded. The call may be made until 11pm tonight or from 7 am tomorrow.

If you are unable to deal with this matter, please refer it to a manager.

You cannot simply terminate a verbal contract, it is just as binding as a written one.

I would appreciate a prompt reply by telephone."

We'll wait and see I guess, but I think I can see a change of provider coming on! ;)

Guest Swampie
I've had a reply...not what I wanted to hear! I initially wrote:

"I have just upgraded my phone for a fee. The calltaker stated that

I would remain on the same plan without any adjustments. I have just

reviewed my account and discovered that my discount has been removed and I

am on an 18 month plan despite being shown on wnw 200? Please review the

recording of that call as that forms the basis of our contract. I look

forward to your informed response after reviewing the conversation. Thanks"

They have just replied with:

"Thanks for emailing Andy, to let me know that you've just upgraded your phone, and were advised your plan would remain the same without any adjustments. I'm so sorry that your discount has been removed, and that you weren't aware you'd enter into another 18 month contract. I can fully understand your concerns, and I'm pleased you've emailed me about this.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to listen to the call from when you rang us to upgrade. We only record our calls at random, and they are used only for training purposes.

The half price line rental discount you previously had was for 12 months. You received this in months 1 to 9 then months 16 to 18. The discount then stayed on your account until you upgraded.

I fully agree that you should have been told this when you upgraded however, when you accepted this discount on 24 February 2006, you ordered this online therefore, the terms and conditions of this promotion would have been shown. These terms and conditions did advise that you'd loose your discount once you upgraded. Unfortunately because of this Andy, I can't add your discount back on.

With regards to the 18 months plan, you do agree to another contract with us when you upgrade. I can see that a letter was sent to you explaining that you'd extended your contract with us for a further 18 months.

Although I hope you decide against it, you do have a 7 day cooling off period with your new contract. If you're unhappy with your phone, or your new contract, you can return it back to us, and your account will be reset allowing you to either upgrade again, or cancel your contract. Please be aware that the last day of this period is tomorrow (10 October).

If you do decide you'd like to return your phone, you can let us know in the following ways:

7 By Post to: Distribution and Delivery Helpdesk, T-Mobile, 4 Main Street, Greenock, PA15 1AE.

7 By Fax to: +44 (0)1475884651.

7 By email to: [email protected].

Once we've received your notice, we'll let you know and send you packaging within 3 to 5 working days so you can return the phone. We'll refund any money to you within 30 days of receiving your notice.

Once again, I'm so sorry for any disappointment or confusion this may have caused.

Thanks again for taking the time to email me about this Andy. I hope that I've explained this clearly, and that you do decide to continue with your new contract.

Please feel free to reply to my email if you have any other questions.

Kind regards

Kelly

Customer Services Email Team

T-Mobile"

I wasvery disappointed. It sounds like- thanks for letting us know, but this is how it's going to be! I have sent this reply:

"The call taker specifically stated that she could not reduce the price of the phone without losing my line rental discount. I accepted. In other words she contracted T Mobile when she said that. There was no mention AT ALL of an 18 month contract. To date I have not received any documentation from T Mobile apart from the packing slip. I realise the postal strike may be affecting this. Are you saying that the phone call is definitely NOT recorded I would like that checked please.

My Vario III upgrade came with a few leaflets along with the phone inside the Royal Mail Special Delivery bag. Didn't look like much, but they were listed on the delivery note. They were the new T&C's (bi, or tri-fold leaflet), and a glossy (folded) A4 white 'letter' saying that I'd committed to another 18 months. Is it possible you discarded this, as it did look a bit like the normal marketing/junk insert.

To evidence this further why on earth would I opt to continue a WnW 200 plan for £32.50 monthly when I could have a better FLEXT plan or similar for the same money? My previous T & Cs stated that my discount would be lost if I changed my plan NOT if the phone was changed.

Sorry - as someone who joined T-Mobile on W'n'W 200 @ 50% discount back in Feb/Mar 2006, the T&C's were clear. You got (I think) 12 months of half price line rental (split between beginning and end of minimum term), which then continued until a.) you upgraded, or b.) you changed tariff. I then used a Staff Discount code to switch to a 50% discount which was not affected by tariff changes or upgrades, but I was very careful about the initial T&Cs, so I'm sure of what triggered loss of discount. For example, the Staff Discount is lost should I cancell the Direct Debit associated with the account (and I assume, voluntarily giving it up to obtain greater discount on upgrades etc).

In fact, these are the same conditions they have on all their new offers: "You'll continue to get the £5 discount off your monthly line rental until you upgrade or otherwise renew your minimum term contract. You may lose the discount if you move to another price plan." http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon...webnwalk/plans/ (click on T&C's at the bottom). Okay, these are their current T&C's, not those XX months ago, but I recognise these as the same wording as I accepted in Feb/Mar 2006 when they were doing the 50% offer on WnW 200 (which I used to get my original Vario).

I am willing to compromise at an 18 month contract but I expect T Mobile to honour your contract. If necessary I expect investigation to be conducted i) with the calltaker ii) to check whether it is recorded.

As time is now very precious due to the late notification of my rights I would request the reply to this is by way of phone call which I would like recorded. The call may be made until 11pm tonight or from 7 am tomorrow.

If you are unable to deal with this matter, please refer it to a manager.

You cannot simply terminate a verbal contract, it is just as binding as a written one.

I would appreciate a prompt reply by telephone."

We'll wait and see I guess, but I think I can see a change of provider coming on! ;)

Unfortunately, it's your word against theirs, and they're giving you a get-out to cancel the upgrade if you're unhappy. As it stands though, you do have some inaccuracies with your recollection of the original T&Cs (upgrade loses discount), which may not look good when insisting you recollection of the phone call is correct. The reply from T-Mobile doesn't sound like they're going to budge. If you're still unhappy, cancel the upgrade (thus getting your discount back) and then try again.

Edited by Swampie

Guest andysalmon

Thanks Swampie, I can't find my original T & C for the WnW- it was from recollection, but you've cleared that up. The delivery note only lists the VIII and it's IMEI. The box and note were the only thing in the bag. I suspect you are right. If that is the case, I'll cancel and start again on a better offer. I've just got the device how I want it as well ;)

Guest andysalmon

YIPPEE ;) :wub: :D

Just had confirmation from T-Mob.

Yes, they did cock up and confirmed I was offered those terms. I remain on 1/2 price WnW 200 for the next 18 months. Fantastic.

:D :D :D