Tilt - Two MAJOR Problems PLEASE HELP

Guest Tones@

Guest Tones@

I just purchased a Tilt a few days ago and I can't seem to get either my GPS or my WIFI to work. ;)

Here are some details:

1) GPS Problems

- I tried to find my GPS location using Google Maps and Live Search and neither could find my GPS location, even after running the QuickGPS program and being outside with full signal strength. Google maps doesn't even search for it (it thinks I don't even have GPS). I don't know what the issue could be, but before I tried anything I DID run the "External GPS" program on the phone accidentally. I didn't change any settings initially, but I've read here that messing with that can screw up the GPS from EVER working unless you do a hard reset. When it didn't work, I also played around with the External GPS software COM setting, which might have screwed eveything up even further, but I'm sure I set them back to what they were originally. Any ideas on what might be wrong? I'm trying to avoid a hard reset if possible.

2) WIFI Problems

- I'm trying to use Wi-Fi on the Tilt and I'm not having any luck connecting to it with Internal Explorer. I've gotten connections from various WiFi sites, including my home network. It shows me signal strength on the Tilt and says "connected". I get the WiFi "connected" (non-flashing) icon in the tile bar. I've turned on the WiFi in comm manager. However, whener I try connecting to a sight from internet explorer, I get an error message saying "Cannot connect with current connection settings....". This happens with EVERY Wifi site I connect to. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

PLEASE HELP!! These issues are driving me crazy........

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Edited by Tones@

Guest Neil5459

GPS: If you have made changes to the COM port in External GPS, regardless of changing them back again, you probably need a hard reset :wub: It seems that making any changes here cobble the GPS settings internally.

Google Maps will never be able to find the GPS Signal unless another application has initialised the GPS receiver and obtained a fix. AFAIK Google has something like a 15s timeout, and a fix takes at least 60s. QuickGPS won't be sufficient as it only downloads core information- you still need to obtain a full satellite fix. There are a few free apps around, including GPSInfo which will turn the receiver on, and obtain a fix. Keep all the default device settings, and set Google etc to COM4 and 57600 baud.

WiFI: It is most likely that something in your security settings is wrong- do you use WEP, WPA or Mac Filtering? Can you try disabling security on your router, then see if it connects? Maybe if you do the hard reset as above, the WiFI will be OK again ;)

Ah- just seen you have the same problem with other WiFI sites :D It may be worth turning the phone radio off or disabling the Data Connection before linking to a WLAN. Sometimes WM6 devices get confused about whether they are connecting via GPRS of WLAN.

Oddly I don't have this problem with Google Maps. Mine locks on just fine without running any sort of GPS app directly beforehand. It even locks on in a few seconds directly after a cold boot.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Oddly I don't have this problem with Google Maps. Mine locks on just fine without running any sort of GPS app directly beforehand. It even locks on in a few seconds directly after a cold boot.

I initially ran Tom Tom to get a fix then ran Google Maps after as suggested which works... but having seen your POST decided to soft reset (to lose any history of running Tom Tom) then I loaded up Google Maps... it took 3 timeouts and subsequent retries to get a satellite fix... So it looks like you don't need to run another GPS software if you just keep retrying.

Guest Tones@
GPS: If you have made changes to the COM port in External GPS, regardless of changing them back again, you probably need a hard reset :wub: It seems that making any changes here cobble the GPS settings internally.

Google Maps will never be able to find the GPS Signal unless another application has initialised the GPS receiver and obtained a fix. AFAIK Google has something like a 15s timeout, and a fix takes at least 60s. QuickGPS won't be sufficient as it only downloads core information- you still need to obtain a full satellite fix. There are a few free apps around, including GPSInfo which will turn the receiver on, and obtain a fix. Keep all the default device settings, and set Google etc to COM4 and 57600 baud.

WiFI: It is most likely that something in your security settings is wrong- do you use WEP, WPA or Mac Filtering? Can you try disabling security on your router, then see if it connects? Maybe if you do the hard reset as above, the WiFI will be OK again ;)

Ah- just seen you have the same problem with other WiFI sites :D It may be worth turning the phone radio off or disabling the Data Connection before linking to a WLAN. Sometimes WM6 devices get confused about whether they are connecting via GPRS of WLAN.

I finally DID get GPS to work WITHOUT a hard reset even though I changed settings in ExternalGPS. I used another free small app to get the satellite fix like you indicated, then Google Maps found me fairly quickly and was able to track my position from then on.

As for the Wi-Fi issue, I AM now connecting when I turn "ON" the Wi-Fi on the phone. However, I'm not sure if it REALLY using the Wi-Fi connections or if it's still using the 3G connection. It wasn't working at first and then it just started to work WITHOUT me changing anything, which makes me believe that maybe the phone sees the same Wi-Fi connection and knows it doesn't work, so it just uses the 3G network instead whenever it comes across that Wi-Fi access point. Is there any way to tell WHICH it is ACTUALLY using? Is there a way to turn OFF the 3G / Edge network temporarily such that I can be sure that the Wi-Fi is actually working?

Thanks!

Tony

Guest StephenR
I finally DID get GPS to work WITHOUT a hard reset even though I changed settings in ExternalGPS. I used another free small app to get the satellite fix like you indicated, then Google Maps found me fairly quickly and was able to track my position from then on.

Can you tell me which free app you used, as I am having exactly the same problem i.e. accidentally going into ExternalGPS (didn't change anything though, but there is no "cancel" in Windows Mobile) and can't get GPS to work.

Guest Neil5459

As for the Wi-Fi issue, I AM now connecting when I turn "ON" the Wi-Fi on the phone. However, I'm not sure if it REALLY using the Wi-Fi connections or if it's still using the 3G connection. It wasn't working at first and then it just started to work WITHOUT me changing anything, which makes me believe that maybe the phone sees the same Wi-Fi connection and knows it doesn't work, so it just uses the 3G network instead whenever it comes across that Wi-Fi access point. Is there any way to tell WHICH it is ACTUALLY using? Is there a way to turn OFF the 3G / Edge network temporarily such that I can be sure that the Wi-Fi is actually working?

Thanks!

Tony

Good to hear your GPS is working OK!

WLAN: the only sure way to test is to open Com Manager (start/settings/connections) and turn off the Phone- this will stop any phone and 3G/GPRS data connections, allowing you to test the WLAN. You can alos search for a small MoDaCo file called NoData which allows you to keep the phone turned on, but stop any GPRS/3G data connection.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ken_1969

I'm having the same problems - got my V1615 last week and have not managed to get any app to recognise the GPS device - loaded my old TomTom5 which reported no device, tried some of the GPS software options recommended in various posts here, and none of them work either. GPSTest.exe shows "scanning Com1...scanning Com 2" etc up through Com 9 then starts again.

Haven't even see the external GPS settings mentioned so don't think it can be that but just in case I figured I'd try a hard reset but have been unable to do that either - can someone confirm I have got this right - here are the instructions I'm using:

So, the left and right soft keys are the two keys between the green phone and red hang up keys right? I hold these down, then use the stylus to press the soft reset for 1 second, then I release the soft reset and press the main power button? At this point I just get the Vodafone splash screen as normal. What am I doing wrong?