No imei-check Kaiser unlock (or Florin_m vs pof)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Or you could just vote yes like myself because unlike the self satisfying "fair and balanced" news reporting allegations be spouted by M.S. (which are of course complete nonsense. Who are you, Fox News? Fair and balanced? Haha!) you could just realise that sometimes stuff gets reported as it happens and you have to wait for the story to unfold. Its not like Paul posted the story damning everyone to hell, apart from IMEI-check.

Paul posted the news as it came in. Then he posted the responses as he got them. POF even apologised for the delay in his reply.

Get a grip.

And exactly which part of "no imei-check Kaiser unlock" can anyone tell me was not accurate. Or indeed fair. However fair reporting the basic fact that they will not be releasing an unlock can be, regardless of the reasons why. If the headline was "No imei-check Kaiser unlock due to blatent IP theft and legal case pending" then i can see where you're coming from. But it wasn't.

No but the post was. My problems are two fold:

1) I can't get my head around why Paul would post a rant without any kind of 'other side' comment. If he had linked to the rant, maybe I could see past it, but to copy a screengrab to the newsport.... its unthinkable.

2) The problem right now - the screengrab and full rant remains, but POF's response just gets a small text link at the bottom of the story. How was this even considered acceptable?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Paul (MVP)
Great. Screw up peoples replies when they try to post in the meantime.

Eh? What?

Wonder which if any side lost / gained a vote? Very fair, accurate, and totally trustworthy poll now after the originator of a poll has edited it. I'll definatley believe it's result. ;)

Neither, I fixed misreporting related to the poll move, because I voted before I moved it.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
No, you've dissed my reasoning re the reporting and sat on the fence of the main issue.

With both sides of the story finally, do YOU think Pof was stealing from Florins work, putting two of his employees out of work, and that Florin is justified in his rant?

M.S

I didn't express an opinion in the original post, and don't have enough knowledge of either Florin's or pof's processes to judge now.

Who I think is / isn't in the right isn't relevant and isn't in question here is it?

P

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Mate, that's what I would call flaming and what I would call inappropriate content for linking from the front page.

With regards to...

...I personally left that that was the best way. The responses were primarily from pof and olipro, and again, I wouldn't be comfortable posting olipro's response on the front page. They also deserve to be read in context.

To be honest, some of our content above was rude, offensive and unnecessary, and if you wish to claim I don't give a s*** about morals these days anyway do you? then I fail to see why I should be concerned about your posting on or reading MoDaCo for that matter.

I'll leave the topic unlocked for the time being...

P

OK, Understood, so if i remove / rework the sections of my post you feel aren't suitable for the frontpage (And I don't disagree there), will you return this thread to where it belongs? Its an ongoing news story, and criticism of modaco about how it has been covered. Its still ongoing, by most posters admission, so should be in the news section. Not buried in the lounge.

Edited by MARKUKCOUK

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Eh? What?

P

You moved the thread with no warning as I was attempting to post a reply giving me a thread not found error and consigning my witty, relevant and extremely well written post to the dustbin of a board error... thanks.

M.S

Guest Paul (MVP)
I voted that I did not feel the reporting was fair - sorry Paul but there were some good points (yes t was newsworthy tho) made about the coverage of Florins points vs Pofs.

Granted, in an ideal world I would have had a response up from pof quicker, but it didn't happen that way. I DID request a response at the earliest possible opportunity, however I felt the news (about the unlock now Florin's rant!) was important enough to post it immediately.

P

Guest MARKUKCOUK
You moved the thread with no warning as I was attempting to post a reply giving me a thread not found error and consigning my witty, relevant and extremely well written post to the dustbin of a board error... thanks.

M.S

I got the same problem - but the board helpfully told me "Hi, I'm about to screw up your post - please take a copy before you press continue".

So I did ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)
OK, Understood, so if i remove / rework the sections of my post you feel aren't suitable for the frontpage (And I don't disagree there), will you return this thread to where it belongs? Its an ongoing news story, and criticism of modaco about how it has been covered. Its still ongoing, by most posters admission, so should be in the news section. Not buried in the lounge.

Going back and editing your post afterwards is ridiculous, and ruins the whole context of the later conversation.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

M.S

Er, nice try, but when that happens the post you just typed appears in a textbox for you to copy to the clipboard.

P

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Granted, in an ideal world I would have had a response up from pof quicker, but it didn't happen that way. I DID request a response at the earliest possible opportunity, however I felt the news (about the unlock now Florin's rant!) was important enough to post it immediately.

P

As I see it (which people may differ from), you should have either:

Removed the screengrab at the earlier chance, or, added POF's response.

The current news story is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you'd like to justify 'don't give a s*** about morals these days anyway do you?' MARKUKCOUK, feel free!

P

PS I wouldn't normally get drawn into these kind of discussions, as we try and keep MoDaCo friendly...

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Going back and editing your post afterwards is ridiculous, and ruins the whole context of the later conversation.

P

Well OK, since its only you who has quoted me, how about I completely delete my post, and you remove the quotes.

Or do you just want to keep it buried in the lounge?

Guest Paul (MVP)
As I see it (which people may differ from), you should have either:

Removed the screengrab at the earlier chance, or, added POF's response.

The current news story is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

I've justified why I didn't post the responses in full above.

P

Guest deadphill

Isn't this becoming a bit out of hand now? I mean there might be other issues to discuss about the way in which Paul decides to run his site. Perhaps another thread could be opened?

I for one think that there was nothing wrong in the timing of the news story. I'm not going to go into the rights or wrongs of it because everyone has their own opinion, but I'm sure like myself the majority will approve given the fact that pof was invited to respond to said allegations. It might not have been at the time but never the less it was said that he will be getting it asap. Thats fine for me as I believe there are always two sides to every story and that I am strong enough not to judge anyone until i have heard both.

I for one have always (bar one time) waited for a free unlock method. I'm maybe treading on dodgy and possibly flamey ground here but I believe that the whole point of operators locking their phones is a waste of time and an unfair process. I mean if you get a phone on contract, you will be getting the phone but you are legally tied into that contract anyway. The operator will make their money on the line rental. Sure they have subsided the phone but then you are only making the difference up by paying out every month to the end of the contract. If its pay as you go then I am sure there is a heavier price to pay for the phone upfront.

So when my contract has finished or even into the first day of the first month in, if I for whatever reason wish to use another sim card in the device thats surely my choice. I am still obliged to pay my line rental and any additional charges so what gives them the right to tell me how to use something that its mine.

I compare it to me buying a house. If my mortgage provider was a mobile phone company, it would be like saying that as I am on the contract, I am only allowed to invite in people into my house that are members of the bank, and am not allowed to do so until I have paid off the last installment of my mortgage. Of course I could only allow non bank people into my house when I have paid them a £15 unlocking fee on non bank people.

As you might be able to see I find the very fact that there is a locking culture out there very absurd and also very annoying. I for one would be willing to pay a bit more and have an unlocked phone from scratch.

Maybe all this time and effort should go into lobbying the networks not to get these locks put onto the phones in the first place. Then perhaps florin and pof could become friends (again?) as they would have nothing to fight about!

I was going to say your thoughts now but I'm sure I will get them whether I ask for them or not!

thanks for listening!

Phill

Edited by deadphill

I got the same problem - but the board helpfully told me "Hi, I'm about to screw up your post - please take a copy before you press continue".

So I did ;)

Baaaaahhhhh....damn you IPB!

Can you just assume I made a really good post? Cheers.

Er, nice try, but when that happens the post you just typed appears in a textbox for you to copy to the clipboard.

P

Now what's that if not sarky? There's no 'nice try' comment needed, that is how it happened to me.

M.S

Guest Paul (MVP)
Well OK, since its only you who has quoted me, how about I completely delete my post, and you remove the quotes.

Or do you just want to keep it buried in the lounge?

I'm not bothered about 'keeping anything buried' anywhere, and to be honest it'll get more clicks by being in the 'recent posts' block than it will by being on the front page now.

Going back and editing / removing posts makes a mockery of the whole idea of an ongoing forum discussion.

P

P

I understand (having read olipro's response) why that cannot be reapeated in this forum, but that does leave the very personal and direct allegations on the front page, and the response linked elsewhere, which I am still uncomfortable about. I would prefer a note of the news and then a link to the page- not a screen grab. But that is just me.

However, some of the others here seem to have taken this rather personally and expressed severe doubts over your integrity as far as I can see (and quote frankly been downright rude). I have only been a member for a year but have seen nothing to indicate that this is justified. From a neutral point of view such postings detract from this discussion and forum generally.

Edit - typos due to trying to get the post in before the discussion has moved on again!

Edited by crazyc

Guest MARKUKCOUK
And that is your personal opinion to which you are completely entitled.

P

Thats why I said that (to quote Alan Partridge)

But you haven't explained paul.

I don't have a problem with the news being reported - it is surely newsworthy. I can even kind of see what thought processes went into the original article - but theres no quote from POF, nothing but a link.... I don't see why.

Guest deadphill
Dear God no :wub:

P

Lol didnt think of it like that when I wrote it! I just felt that it completley detracks from the topic.

Like I said before, I dont see the problem. Just because there was a delay in pofs response doesnt make it less of a story for me.

People are always telling me Im a bad referee when things are not going their way, yet I dont always hear them and I certainly dont get a right of reply.

However I sometimes think that I would like one. Maybe I can get mysterious stranger and/or markukcouk to come help me out on saturday afternoon!

pm me if your interested! ;)

Erm....so what's your part in this exactly? You're too opinionated on this subject to be a random forum go-er. Friend of POF are we?

Nope. Don't know the guy. Emailed him twice re hermes bricking and pm'd him re this thread. Very helpful chap. Also used IMEI check for a hermes unlock (pre free unlock) and an excalibur unlock with no issues when I needed help hacking tmob usa wm6 on the s620. To be fair they shouldnt claim they can CID unlock the s620 as it still needs hacking aftwards to get different roms on, but hey, moot point and the end result is the same.

I am opinionated on the medium (ahem) not the actual message. You'll note that I agree with both sides at some point in the thread, but I'm more opinionated / passionate about FAIRNESS. It ain't about me you know!

M.S

Edit - EH? I'VE QUOTED A POST THAT NO LONGER EXISTS? WTF?

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest Paul (MVP)
I understand (having read olipro's response) why that cannot be reapeated in this forum, but that does leave the very personal and direct allegations on the front page, and the response linked elsewhere, which I am still uncomfortable about. I would prefer a note of the news and then a link to the page- not a screen grab. But that is just me.

True, however I wanted to make sure the page was captured should imei-check remove it, and deliberately chose to screen grab rather than cut paste to protect the allegations from googlifying on MoDaCo, if you know what I mean.

On the contrary, I know the xda-devs posted response isn't going anywhere!

However, some of the others here seem to have taken this rather personally and expressed severe doubts over your integrity as far as I can see (and quote frankly been downright rude).

Absolutely! Consider me offended, which is why i'm still in this topic!

P

Guest deadphill
I can even kind of see what thought processes went into the original article - but theres no quote from POF, nothing but a link.... I don't see why.

Dont you sometimes see on the news where they report (albeit maybe not the complete story) on a story and say that the other party were unavailable for comment. Surely this is the same?

Just my thoughts!

Guest Paul (MVP)
I don't have a problem with the news being reported - it is surely newsworthy. I can even kind of see what thought processes went into the original article - but theres no quote from POF, nothing but a link.... I don't see why.

There's a number of reasons Mark, not least...

- The response came quite a while after the original post, and additions are generally tacked on as in this post (that's no main reason tho)

- The response from pof is very lengthy, and would probably be teasered on the front page anyway

- The response from olipro isn't appropriate for the front page

- The discussion around the topic at xda-devs may well be of interest to the reader

P