F-Secure Anti-Virus

Guest FloatingFatMan

Guest FloatingFatMan

I don't know about other models of the Kaiser, but the T-Mobile VIII comes with a trial version of F-Secure Mobile on it. But do we REALLY need AV products on our PocketPC's? I've not really looked much into AV risks on Windows Mobile, but from what I've seen, it seems the virus writers aren't yet looking at those devices, instead concentrating mainly on Symbian phones.

So, do we REALLY need AVs yet? And if so, what exactly are the choices? Is F-Secure any good? Are there free options which, like in the PC market, are just as good, if not better, than the commercial ones?

Guest FloatingFatMan

But is it not needed because F-Secure is a poor solution, or because there just aren't any virii on pocket PC's yet, or simply for performance reasons?

It's all well and good saying don't bother and remove it etc, but I'm genuinely curious as to WHY those of you who replied say that. Afterall, virii on the Symbian platform are on the increase, it would seem reasonable that, if not now, it won't be long before Pocket PC has the same problem.

Guest Dale Pearson

I work in IT Security and its true, there are very very few viruses and trojans that are targetting the PPC platform. As a result there are few few AV products on the Market (F-Secue, Trend and Symantec), the main reason I believe is that these is limited gain in penetrating a PPC device.

I think the best approach is more to be aware of the fact there is potential, and take other appropriate action to safeguard when you do use your PPC. From a Pentesting perspective its much more viable to target your PPC when using a wireless network, as you could sniff the packets, determine the data on your network, PINS, Codes etc, and provide a possible entry point into your personal or corporate network.

As stated above, personally at this stage I wouldnt be to worried about having AV on your PPC. I would be more concerned around someone accessing the device remotely, or loss of data in the event you lost or the device was stolen, so look at some form of encryption for your sensative data.

Guest Mr.Clark
I work in IT Security and its true, there are very very few viruses and trojans that are targetting the PPC platform. As a result there are few few AV products on the Market (F-Secue, Trend and Symantec), the main reason I believe is that these is limited gain in penetrating a PPC device.
I thought all the PPC viruses were proof of concept and didn't exist out in the real world...?

Guest Dale Pearson

Your right the information that has been communicated is around proof of concepts. In the same vein some discussion with virus code writters for checking vendors believe there may be some in the wild but with minimal effect and no definitions to identify.

This is all theory I guess. However we know its possible but just not a real risk today. I am sure this will grow as take up of such devices grow.