vario III - backing up data .

Guest varioIII-lover

Guest varioIII-lover

hi there.

i am looking to back everything up, including text messages, contacts, emails etc.

i am recieving a new phone due to a fault and i want to transfer the whole install to the new phone.

is it as easy as copying and pasting all the folders on the phone and then deleting the folders on the old one / or overwriting?

or shall i use sprite backup?

can i keep *everything* that i have added to the phone, and do you know the locations to files with data in them like contacts etc?

any advice from the gurus will be appreciated ..

warm regards,

v3-L ;)

Guest Phil Lee

Contacts are easy if you've used ActiveSync and Outlook. They get will be transferred to your new phone automatically. SMS can be backed up using the trial version of Jeyo Mobile 2.0. You can of course use the Sprite Backup that comes with the phone as well.

Guest varioIII-lover

thanks for replying phil ..

i don't have outlook on here .. i do on another comp so i can put it into there to be safe.

since is am moving files from old phone to new being the same phone, can i move the sms files - i just need to know where they are stored ..

also i wonder if sprite backup backups and copies all of this across .. just trying to do a backup now but when i started it for the first time said 'connecting to server'

will bear with it ..

v3-L ;)

Guest Neil5459

You can't use Copy/Paste of files or folders for any of the messaging components- they are too embedded in the OS. You can copy pim.vol from the root of My Devcie, which contains all the Contacts, Calendar, Notes & Tasks.

Sprite is your best bet- it ought to make a full image of your current ROM contents, which you should save to the Storage Card as a self extracting *.exe file. Once you get the new device, just execute the backup file, then once it's complete do a soft reest, and you should be back to where you left off with the old device.