How to use GPS in Jersey, Channel Islands

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Hi I`m just trying out the GPS for the first time see if I can get it working.

I installed Tom Tom Navigator and downloaded the map of Liverpool although I am in Jersey, Channel Islands and there are no free maps available. When I loaded up Tom Tom it had the map of Liverpool loaded but when it tries to find a GPS signal it says no valid signal can be found. Do I need to be in Liverpool to get a satellite fix or should I get one anyway?

Is there anyway I can get a fix, should it be getting one already? I know one of the only software that covers Jersey Channel Islands is Co-Pilot which uses NAVTEQ maps but I was wondering if I could get a fix and it would show my location in something like google maps even if the road data ain't there. I`m just testing it.

If I can't get a fix in Tom Tom then what can I do... it has to be said I haven't gone outside yet just stuck my head out the window.

EDIT: Scrap that I just got a fix... going to try google maps now see if it shows I am in Jersey.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Neil5459

You've probably inadvertantly answered your own question ;) You don't need to be within a maps area to obtain a fix- the 2 things are independent, though obviously if the satellite signal locates you off the range of a map, all you will see is a grey map window in TomTom

If TomTom is saying 'No valid signal' it means it has found and opened the GPS receiver, but it just hasn't got enough data for a fix. If it can't find the GPS, or the GPS is not working, the the message is 'No GPS Device'

Popping your head outside is just not enough for the 1st fix- you need to be in clear view of the sky, and allow about 10 minutes for a fix. If TTN is running, tap the 'Signal BAr' icon at botton right of teh main screen, then again on the next screen, and you will see the Fix state with a graphical representation of the available satellites. 'Fixed' signals show a solid blue bar, and insufficient fixes show a grey bar.

Google Maps will work (assuming there are maps for Jersey) but it can't initiate a GPS fix as the timeout is set too low, and can't be changed. You need to run another small GPS app first ( HTC GPSInfo, or a Holux program have both been cited to work) to obtain the fix, then GM will be OK.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
You've probably inadvertantly answered your own question ;) You don't need to be within a maps area to obtain a fix- the 2 things are independent, though obviously if the satellite signal locates you off the range of a map, all you will see is a grey map window in TomTom

If TomTom is saying 'No valid signal' it means it has found and opened the GPS receiver, but it just hasn't got enough data for a fix. If it can't find the GPS, or the GPS is not working, the the message is 'No GPS Device'

Popping your head outside is just not enough for the 1st fix- you need to be in clear view of the sky, and allow about 10 minutes for a fix. If TTN is running, tap the 'Signal BAr' icon at botton right of teh main screen, then again on the next screen, and you will see the Fix state with a graphical representation of the available satellites. 'Fixed' signals show a solid blue bar, and insufficient fixes show a grey bar.

Google Maps will work (assuming there are maps for Jersey) but it can't initiate a GPS fix as the timeout is set too low, and can't be changed. You need to run another small GPS app first ( HTC GPSInfo, or a Holux program have both been cited to work) to obtain the fix, then GM will be OK.

Thanks I kinda figured it out myself once I got that initial Tom Tom fix... now everytime I start Tom Tom it quickly shows a list of satellites with blue bars indicating the strength and I`m still inside just near the window. I downloaded Google maps and used the track location facility it then connected with the GPS and shows that I`m a tiny blue spot on Jersey but as I noted earlier Jersey is not fully mapped by the Teleatlas data Google Maps uses so all I can see if my exact location on Jersey but no roads. I will have to purchase Co-Pilot 6 using NAVTEQ maps to get the Channel Islands fully mapped.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Nick Le Lievre
I hope jersey isn't counted as roaming, or that'll be a v expensive GPRS bill :wub:

P

No we don't use the UK mobile operators we have on own on Island mobile providers namely Jersey Telecom (who I`m with) Sure Mobile from C&W and also Vodafone have just started up a service used to be just a monopoly with JT. With Jersey Telecom pay as you go I get free WAP GPRS and Google Maps started a GPRS session and was able to use my Free connection to do whatever it needed too so I`m ok ;)

Guest Nick Le Lievre

I soft reset my device then loaded up Google Maps whilst it didn't get a fix the first time, it only took 3 retries to get a fix. In view of this I`m thinking about uninstalling Tom Tom as it can't show my exact location on the one free map I downloaded where Google Maps can (albeit on an island bare of roads). If I uninstall Tom Tom will I lose the free map download if I decide to reinstall it at a later, as I`ve already downloaded it. Or will it let me download it again?

Guest Neil5459

Copy the map to a safe place on your PC, then you can just recopy it back to the Storage card if you need it again. Once the map is safe, you can uninstall TTN.