Mp3 Quality - Feedback Wanted

Guest meddleuk

Guest meddleuk

I was hoping for opinions on the MP3 playback quality on the kaiser. I have been using an N95 previously to play Mp3's through headphones but the quality is not as good as a standalone player like my Ipod. Problem is I want to ditch the Ipod and replace it with the a good sounding music smartphone.

Do you think the Kaiser is a good music player, when playing through wired headphones (not interested about the playback through the speaker).

Also what is the media library player like. Is the built in one good enough by itself or do you recomend a better third party app

Thanks for any help!

Edited by meddleuk

Guest Webreaper

I've been using my Kaiser as an MP3 player for a couple of weeks now. It's excellent. Not sure how it compares to an iPod, sound-quality-wise, as I've never owned one before. But having owned various eclectic hifi in the past (Cyrus, Arcam, Mission, etc) I like to think I know decent quality when I hear it. ;)

So yes, the Kaiser is good quality - as long as you ditch the sh*t headphones that come with it. I've got a pair of Shure SE210s, and frankly I'm surprised at just how good the quality is. :wub:

Regarding music players, I'd ditch WMP and the HTC audio manager, and go for MortPlayer. I've tried a few, and Mort has the most comprehensive set of playlist/button-mapping/power-management settings I've ever seen, plus the quality is good too (e.g., I have the equaliser almost totally flat). The only competitor that comes close (IMO) is PocketMusic which has a marginal advantage because it supports cross-fading; however, for mix albums, etc, I just rip the whole album in one MP3, so it's not critical - and Mort is free, whereas PocketMusic costs $20. The former also has a better selection of skins. :D

Battery life? Well, pretty good, I reckon. For example, I left the house at 6am this morning with 100% battery usage. I've listened to music for 1h45m, and my battery's currently sitting at 82%. Given that I've also browsed a couple of websites on the train, plus sent/received email 2-3 times during that period (over GPRS), I'd say it's pretty good. That was with Mortplayer playing - you set it going and then hit the 'standby' button, and the device turns off the screen and other bits, but continues to play music.

Some other info/opinions here: http://www.modaco.com/TyTN-II-music-player-t260114.html

A Nice overview Webreaper... Ditch the original headphones! this will make the difference between 'ok' and 'good' playback.

Also, Dont rule out PocketPlayer just yet, this is my media player of choice at the moment ;)

You can always download and install trials from www.handango.com.

Guest meddleuk

Thanks for the info, it's good to know it doesn't seem to have any glaring quality issues at least. I have a pair of in ear sennheiser headphones which really show up any MP3 players problems. When trying to play MP3's on my N95 there was always a noticible gap between tracks and a slight hiss in the background which would disappear if you cranked the volume up. The big difference however was the range/clarity which made all my high bitrate MP3's sound as if they were encoded under 100kbs. The built in Mp3 player just seemed cheap as if it was knocked together with very little in the way of tweaks to improve things. The only improvement I could find was to run my MP3's through a third party app oggplay which gained a slight improvement in overall quality. I had learnt to live with this but wanted to make sure I didn't make the same mistake twice with my next phone.

I have never had a Windows mobile before but having a quick look at the software you have recomended it looks head and shoulders above symbian 3rd party software.

Guest Webreaper
Also, Dont rule out PocketPlayer just yet, this is my media player of choice at the moment ;)

Cool. Had a browse, and it looks good. But again, the only real addition over MortPlayer that I can see is the cross-fading/gapless playback. Which (given the number of albums I have which require it) isn't worth the $20. :wub:

Guest Webreaper
the built in player HTC audio manager has a awsome UI. if you dont want many manual/pro settigns it is very good for the consumer.

The power management and other features are rubbish though, and the playlist manager is totally counter-intuitive.

Guest knonist
I've been using my Kaiser as an MP3 player for a couple of weeks now. It's excellent. Not sure how it compares to an iPod, sound-quality-wise, as I've never owned one before. But having owned various eclectic hifi in the past (Cyrus, Arcam, Mission, etc) I like to think I know decent quality when I hear it. ;)

So yes, the Kaiser is good quality - as long as you ditch the sh*t headphones that come with it. I've got a pair of Shure SE210s, and frankly I'm surprised at just how good the quality is. :wub:

Regarding music players, I'd ditch WMP and the HTC audio manager, and go for MortPlayer. I've tried a few, and Mort has the most comprehensive set of playlist/button-mapping/power-management settings I've ever seen, plus the quality is good too (e.g., I have the equaliser almost totally flat). The only competitor that comes close (IMO) is PocketMusic which has a marginal advantage because it supports cross-fading; however, for mix albums, etc, I just rip the whole album in one MP3, so it's not critical - and Mort is free, whereas PocketMusic costs $20. The former also has a better selection of skins. :D

Battery life? Well, pretty good, I reckon. For example, I left the house at 6am this morning with 100% battery usage. I've listened to music for 1h45m, and my battery's currently sitting at 82%. Given that I've also browsed a couple of websites on the train, plus sent/received email 2-3 times during that period (over GPRS), I'd say it's pretty good. That was with Mortplayer playing - you set it going and then hit the 'standby' button, and the device turns off the screen and other bits, but continues to play music.

Some other info/opinions here: http://www.modaco.com/TyTN-II-music-player-t260114.html

how can i change the headphone?

Edited by knonist