Direct Push email via GPRS. No incoming/outgoing calls?

Guest Arcam

When I'm connected to GPRS (Vodafone UK 3g service) and also have Direct Push email enabled, I can't make or receive any phone calls.

Is this correct?

I have no problem when it's via a WLAN connection.

Thanks

Kevin

Guest Phil Lee
When I'm connected to GPRS (Vodafone UK 3g service) and also have Direct Push email enabled, I can't make or receive any phone calls.

Is this correct?

I have no problem making or receiving calls with direct push enabled on my VIII.

Guest chucky.egg

If your GPRS is active (not the same as connected) you wont be able to make/receive calls

GPRS will be suspended if a call is already active (so, for example, if your phone was about to sync but you were on a voice call it would stop it from syncing) but it wont suspend during data activity. If the data is active the call doesn't come through.

Guest jimbouk

Woah hang on... maybe thats the case on GPRS (over GSM) but over 3g you can make and receive voice calls whilst data is ACTIVE (ie I receive emails over my 3g connection whilst on the phone and can receive calls whilst surfing etc)

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's true, but even if a data connection is 'active', the call prioritises above it and the data connection gets suspended while the phone rings, right?

P

Guest chucky.egg

Nope, Not on T and O2 in the UK at least

An active GPRS data connection blocks the call.

Somebody explained why in another thread relating to Wizards some time ago

Guest Neil5459
Well that's a bit crazy isn't it with push mail?

P

Even with push email, the data connection is quiescent most of the time (unless you are a real power user!) so it doesn't present a problem.

Of more concern is that if you are browsing the internet over GPRS, incoming calls may well divert to VoiceMail. Just tried it with my Orange number, and that is exactly what happens. Once the page is loaded, a new call can connect. As far as I can remember, this has always been the case, and is one of the reasons I don't use my WM device for phone calls (I can't afford to miss calls diverted from my office to my mobile number)

So, the answer seems to be 'Yes- an active GPRS connection may well block incoming calls';