CAB dosen't even try to install!?!

Guest resistor

Guest resistor

OK, so CAB files do not react when i click on them!? What is wrong? It's like they ignore me, or isn't even there.... CABviaActiveSync dosen't work for me... I installed it on XP service pack 2, and when i right-click on a cab file and select it i get this error message:

"This application has encountered an error: 0x0, with following description:

Task completed

Additional information:

Unable to load the main module: D:\Programs\CABviaActivesync\%APPNAME%.EXE or one of itsdependencies"

I tried with activesync 4.0 and 4.5... No cookie ;) I also re-installed .NET Framework 2.0...

Guest zachto_man
OK, so CAB files do not react when i click on them!? What is wrong? It's like they ignore me, or isn't even there.... CABviaActiveSync dosen't work for me... I installed it on XP service pack 2, and when i right-click on a cab file and select it i get this error message:

"This application has encountered an error: 0x0, with following description:

Task completed

Additional information:

Unable to load the main module: D:\Programs\CABviaActivesync\%APPNAME%.EXE or one of itsdependencies"

I tried with activesync 4.0 and 4.5... No cookie ;) I also re-installed .NET Framework 2.0...

Copy it to the phone and install it from there....

Obviously that's what I'm doing...

From the error you reported getting it looks more like you're transferring an installer over to the phone instead of a cab file. Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but a cab file shouldn't have an exe extension. Ususally ppc apps come in 2 versions, an exe that you run on your computer and it installs the app to your phone, or a cab file that usually looks like a zip file while it's on your computer. Also, some cab file come zipped so you have to unzip them before you transfer it to your phone and it will give you an error if you don't unzip it first. I don't remember exactly what the error says that it gives you since I usually always check to make sure it's not zipped first before transferring it over, but I don't believe it is the one you gave.

Guest Neil5459

I think resistor is saying he can't run the cab file locally on the PPC, nor can he use the CabViaActivesync PC program.

This may be 3 expressions of the same problme- ie CVAS has crashed and corrupted the cab file, the cab file itself is corrupt and has crashed CVAS, or there are 2 separate problems- with CVAS and with the cab file.

To obtain you objective of installing the file, I suggest leaving the CVAS problem for the moment. Do a soft reset of the PPC; Try 2 options- on the PPC use File Explorer to Rename the cab file to and see if it runs. If that doesn't work, download the cab file again, copy it to a storage card using a card reader, then try to run it on the PPC. If that is no go, it suggests either the cab file is corrupt, or your PPC has lost its cab file association. Try to run anotehr cab file- if that also won't work, it suggests a file system error, which may need a hard reset to fix.

Sorry if this is a bit convoluted, but we need to explore all the options!

Guest Confucious

It does rather look like an exe is being transfered rather than a cab....

Guest resistor
It does rather look like an exe is being transfered rather than a cab....

No that's just the error code i get from CABviaActiveSync.. Even if i try to just open CABviaActiveSync itself..

YES, i'm transferring .cab files, not .exe... I do know that much about PC's...

Niel5459 you got it dead on, thats what my problems are... I've done a hard reset... Didn't work.. ;) But atleast i got my PPC cleaned out.... Oh well, i'll try your suggestions.

Guest Neil5459

If the problems are occuring even after a hard reset, it suggests a problem with the cab files themselves. Is it only one, or is it all cab files?

In File Explorer, does the cab file show with a generic icon, or the normal cab file icon?

Guest Confucious
.....spoke too soon ;)

Now getting IE7 Page Not Available errors at work when pressing the View New Posts button.

I was having problems connecting to Modaco a minute ago - think Paul's still having a few teething problems with the new servers.

@resistor - as neil5459 says, is it all cabs or just certain ones, could you post one up here so one of us could try it to see if its corrupt?

• 6 months later...

heyas ppl i´ve the same problem the same error, and if a pass the cab file into ppc via file explorer i can install the cab normally!! something wrong with the desktop computer! any ideas!!?!?