Record calls on Kaiser/Vario III

Guest sxywill2005

Guest sxywill2005

Is there any software which I can record voice calls on my Vario III?

I have tried that LivePVR and it doesn't seem to work - infact I can't hear anything at all from the other person and it only records what I say! Yes I have it set on voice calls not memos ;)

Guest hotphil

Could that be the same issue as with Skype only coming out the external speakers rather than the earpiece? I think that's a hardware limitation by design - to stop any software secretly recording your calls. May also be a legal issue, isn't it the case that you have to seek permission before recording a conversation? An easy way for HTC to avoid a lawsuit is to make doing so impossible.

Edited by hotphil

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Swampie
Could that be the same issue as with Skype only coming out the external speakers rather than the earpiece? I think that's a hardware limitation by design - to stop any software secretly recording your calls.

I believe it's a limitation that user apps cannot use the phone earpiece - whether that's the physical earpiece or a Bluetooth handsfree headset. That explains why TomTom doesn't come through handsfree headsets.

May also be a legal issue, isn't it the case that you have to seek permission before recording a conversation? An easy way for HTC to avoid a lawsuit is to make doing so impossible.

In the UK you're allowed to record any phone conversation as long as at least 1 party is aware of it. So if the phone user is aware, then the person at the other end does not need to be told.

Guest joemailey
I believe it's a limitation that user apps cannot use the phone earpiece - whether that's the physical earpiece or a Bluetooth handsfree headset. That explains why TomTom doesn't come through handsfree headsets.

In the UK you're allowed to record any phone conversation as long as at least 1 party is aware of it. So if the phone user is aware, then the person at the other end does not need to be told.

are you sure the other person doesn't need to know?

phone user knows its being recorded is fine . but what about the other phone user your talking to?(they don't know, therefore its not allowed. rememebr there's 2 fone users on each conversation can't have rule saying as long as the phone user knows its being recorded, but shh don't tell the "2nd" phone user.

Hence why most call centres or compnays you ring have "your call may be recorded for training purposes"

Guest Neil5459

The law on recording phone conversations is you must make all reasonable effort to inform ALL PARTIES that the call may be recorded. If you are a commercial organisation, then a note on your website or literature satisfies the law. Private users need to make other arrangements.

Sample guide Here

I think the actual reason for being unable to do this is more mundane- there is (or at least there was) no physical link between the Phone Earpiece subsystem and the PC functions.

Guest hotphil

That's pretty much what I thought. And I can tell you, if you ring up a company to make a complaint and say something like "First of all I believe that legally I need to inform you I am recording this conversation" you can get surprisingly good results.

Guest Swampie

Ofcom state::

"Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording."

However, if you needed to present the recording in court, it is possible that it might be accepted even if the other party was not aware of the recording, but there is no requirement to accept it.

Additionally:

"Do businesses have to tell me if they are going to record or monitor my phone calls or e-mails?

No. as long as the recording or monitoring is done for one of the above purposes the only obligation on businesses is to inform their own employees. If businesses want to record for any other purpose, such as market research, they will have to obtain your consent."

Those purposes referred to are:

" * to provide evidence of a business transaction

* to ensure that a business complies with regulatory procedures

* to see that quality standards or targets are being met in the interests of national security

* to prevent or detect crime to investigate the unauthorised use of a telecom system

* to secure the effective operation of the telecom system."

Hence why they say "for training purposes" as that is not one of the accepted purposes, thus the caller needs to be notified.

Edited by Swampie

Pocket PC phones cannot do this. It is a limitation of the hardware. Bugger me if I understand why. Smartphones CAN do it (record both sides).

Is there any software which I can record voice calls on my Vario III?

I have tried that LivePVR and it doesn't seem to work - infact I can't hear anything at all from the other person and it only records what I say! Yes I have it set on voice calls not memos ;)