Weirdness On New TyTN II

Guest rebecker

Guest rebecker

I just got my TyTN II yesterday. I have a very unusual problem that really has me stumped. I did the usual installs and then did a synch with Outlook on my XP computer. Having owned several Windows Pocket PC and Windows Mobile units going back several years, I feel I'm pretty familiar with ActiveSync. After over an hour having the unit not get past the Calendar items synch (it DID synch all contacts) I tried to stop the synch. After 20 minutes of watching AS attempt to stop, I unplugged the TyTN and started over. The second synch 'seemed' to work. My 1000+ contacts, 500+ calendar items, 250+ tasks and 200+ notes appeared on my TyTN. I then stopped playing with the TyTN (very difficult to do ;) ) and went to dinner. After I returned home I found that the clock had moved ahead exactly 16 hours and 15 minutes! I thought it was a fluke and reset it to the correct time. I then noticed that my appointments and tasks had moved exactly the same amount, 16 hours and 15 minutes! At that point I thought I'd synch. When I connected to the unit the time again changed by the 16:15 hours. My TyTN appointments were all messed up, but my Outlook appointments were still correct. I then did a hard reset and started over. I decided to just transfer contacts on the first synch, which worked. I then disconnected and reconnected to AS and the time immediately moved 16:15 hours on the TyTN! At that point I did another hard reset and spent the day using the phone without ever synching to my computer. The time stayed correct all day. I added a calendar event and a task. They stayed correct for a bit. I then went to the clock settings to add a visiting city, but still kept the "Home" setting checked. When I went back to the main screen the appointment I had at 6:00 tonight moved 16:15 hours to tomorrow. The task I had scheduled for today moved to tomorrow.

1. Re: the Outlook synch weirdness, my only thought was that there was some corruption of the file when the original synch didn't work. I have a backup of the Outlook file that worked perfectly well with my 4705 before I tried synching the TyTN, so I MAY have an uncorrupted file to use for another attempted synch. OR

2. Setting the "Visiting" city somehow interferes with event times. That would be a ROM flaw, I guess, so maybe another hard reset and avoiding the "Visiting" city setting might work. OR

3. I noticed under Settings/Phone/Time Zones there's a checked setting "Automatic change time zone and clock." I'm assuming that reads the SIM card for the local service provider time. Maybe that should be off?

I'm looking for any ideas anyone has. I'm in a very bad position because I cannot return the TyTN to the place it was bought because I will not be in the States to do it until December. That means I'll have to send it to HTC for 'repair'after I've had it almost 90 days (it was 3 weeks in transit to get here). I'm hoping there's some solution that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

-Bob-

Guest ChefChaudart
I'd turn off the automatic time zone option - maybe the mobile network is giving the device false information? ;)

P

Same issue has been reported on French forums. Sounds like a bug.

Guest rebecker
I'd turn off the automatic time zone option - maybe the mobile network is giving the device false information? ;)

I turned off the setting. However, I just noticed another oddity. I am downloading my POP email account via wireless and every message is time stamped 16:15 hours later than the messages are stamped when I download them via my laptop.

-Bob-

I just got my TyTN II yesterday. I have a very unusual problem that really has me stumped. I did the usual installs and then did a synch with Outlook on my XP computer. Having owned several Windows Pocket PC and Windows Mobile units going back several years, I feel I'm pretty familiar with ActiveSync. After over an hour having the unit not get past the Calendar items synch (it DID synch all contacts) I tried to stop the synch. After 20 minutes of watching AS attempt to stop, I unplugged the TyTN and started over. The second synch 'seemed' to work. My 1000+ contacts, 500+ calendar items, 250+ tasks and 200+ notes appeared on my TyTN. I then stopped playing with the TyTN (very difficult to do ;) ) and went to dinner. After I returned home I found that the clock had moved ahead exactly 16 hours and 15 minutes! I thought it was a fluke and reset it to the correct time. I then noticed that my appointments and tasks had moved exactly the same amount, 16 hours and 15 minutes! At that point I thought I'd synch. When I connected to the unit the time again changed by the 16:15 hours. My TyTN appointments were all messed up, but my Outlook appointments were still correct. I then did a hard reset and started over. I decided to just transfer contacts on the first synch, which worked. I then disconnected and reconnected to AS and the time immediately moved 16:15 hours on the TyTN! At that point I did another hard reset and spent the day using the phone without ever synching to my computer. The time stayed correct all day. I added a calendar event and a task. They stayed correct for a bit. I then went to the clock settings to add a visiting city, but still kept the "Home" setting checked. When I went back to the main screen the appointment I had at 6:00 tonight moved 16:15 hours to tomorrow. The task I had scheduled for today moved to tomorrow.

1. Re: the Outlook synch weirdness, my only thought was that there was some corruption of the file when the original synch didn't work. I have a backup of the Outlook file that worked perfectly well with my 4705 before I tried synching the TyTN, so I MAY have an uncorrupted file to use for another attempted synch. OR

2. Setting the "Visiting" city somehow interferes with event times. That would be a ROM flaw, I guess, so maybe another hard reset and avoiding the "Visiting" city setting might work. OR

3. I noticed under Settings/Phone/Time Zones there's a checked setting "Automatic change time zone and clock." I'm assuming that reads the SIM card for the local service provider time. Maybe that should be off?

I'm looking for any ideas anyone has. I'm in a very bad position because I cannot return the TyTN to the place it was bought because I will not be in the States to do it until December. That means I'll have to send it to HTC for 'repair'after I've had it almost 90 days (it was 3 weeks in transit to get here). I'm hoping there's some solution that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

-Bob-

rebecker,

The thing to do is 1.remove active Sync from your computer and install windows mobile device center ( XP version)instead.

2)restart your computer and sync again.I think all your problems shall go.Just make sure the computer clock is right before doing all these.You can use google to download the device center for free.Good luck.

Guest rebecker

Just an update on my situation:

I've been running the unit (after a HARD rest) without doing any synch with AS. The appointments and tasks seem to be working fine and the clock has stayed correct for the last 36 hours. HOWEVER, if I download my email every message is date stamped EXACTLY 16 hours and 15 minutes later than the actual date stamp that appears in Outlook on my laptop. I know the laptop stamps are correct, since the TyTN stamps are often dated tomorrow.

So, the time issue is inherent in the unit and not related to synching or ActiveSync. A bug!

Again, any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Bob-

I've had my Kaiser a few weeks now and in the last few days mine is jumping ahead 1 hour, from GMT +8 to GMT +7. I'm on the coast in California not near any time change borders and would think it odd to be a system thing. I've turned off the auto time adjust in phone settings and will see.

At the same time I'm now seeing QuickGPS act up as well (after flawless performance since day one), it's showing 6+ days of data yet it's warning of "data expired" and attempting updates via GPRS at odd intervals. I active sync at least once a day (Vista) and the data is always showing around 6 days worth.

The Kaiser has been solid, I've loaded a bunch of progs and tweaks, but haven't needed a single hard reset, and seldom need soft resets.

Weird indeed.

Guest rebecker

For those who are still interested, here's my story:

I turned off the phone setting on Saturday. I think that's why the clock has remained accurate, where it was changing itself before I turned of the phone time zone and clock setting.

Yesterday I did this:

1. I changed my zone to my visiting zone, -6 Central US. The clock changed properly; moved ahead 1 hour. My appointments moved back exactly 15 hours and 15 minutes!confused.gif Tasks seem OK.

2. Changing it back to -6 Central America moved the appointments back 1 hour from the incorrect US Central times.

3. Changing it again to Central US moved the appointments back 1 hour.

4. Changing it again to Central America, then Central US, then Central America caused NO changes in appointments.confused.gif So I'm left with the times being off 16 hours and 15 minutes.

This may imply that the time zone has finally stuck.

Since I did the multiple check and unchecks of the two time zones yesterday, I have run just a little more than 24 hours and done dozens of ActiveSync sessions without any problems. My calendar events are stable, as are my tasks. One slight possible oddity was that when I tried to run QuickGPS the time was off (possibly GMT??) and QuickGPS didn't work. However, compared to the time problems with Outlook data, it's a minor issue. Two of my GPS software packages, Microsoft Streets and Teletype GPS work fine, although the initial startup (after a soft reset) takes 3-5 minutes; less than 10 seconds if no soft reset was done between GPS sessions. I can live with that!

I'm guessing my Costa Rican GSM somehow corrupted the unit. Turning off the phone time and date ended the SIM interference and I guess the multiple switching between time zones fixed whatever was corrupted.

Thanks for all the help.

-Bob-

For those who are still interested, here's my story:

I would have given my Aunt's wooden leg you have a sick Tytn. I am glad it is all over and my Aunt can keep her wooden leg ;) :(

Glad it's sorted, that was indeed wierd.

My time problem was fixed with un-checking the time zone box, Quick GPS seems to be behaving as well, Odd that it just acted up for no good reason.

But much more important it fixed something that been plauging me since day one with my Kaiser. Active Sync has been seemingly self starting always. Whenever I checked the task manager, it would always be there running. Once I killed the auto time set, Active Sync now remains closed unless invoked when connecting to the PC, even after a soft reset where Active Sync always started.

Guest bbrockie

Hopefully I'm just tired, but I can't, for the life of me, find the "Automatic timezone" option anywhere on my Kaiser.

Where is this setting located? ;)