HTC and the internal GPS problem

Guest PeterJD

Guest PeterJD

I experienced the disappearing internal GPS problem a few days ago. In my case, it occurred without the attempted use of an external GPS unit (usually attributed as a likely cause). One day it was working well with TomTom Navigator, etc. The next day, I installed the free Metro program and CamerAware. The latter failed to find the GPS. Neither could TomTom. TT's GPS status screen showed no contact with the GPS; neither did GPS Viewer.

From what I had read with postings online, a Hard Reset was the only option. Then and only then did I try my external Bluetooth GPS, which the TyTN II found and used immediately.

Not having a lot installed at that point, I did a Hard Reset rather than attempt a Restore from backup. All was then fine.

I don't think this is acceptable. The device shouldn't lose the internal GPS and it should be possible to use the external GPS option too.

Today I raised a technical support query with HTC. I await their response. They should be fixing this problem, or, in the interim, at least providing a way to reset the internal GPS back to working order without doing a Hard Reset.

I used an email form here:

http://www.europe.htc.com/en/htctytn2/support/csbyemail.html

Perhaps people should be contacting HTC rather than Hard Resetting and putting it down to experience. I wonder whether anyone else who has suffered this problem has complained to HTC? And if so, what was their response?