How have you pimped your S710?

Guest Mechanicaldan

Guest Mechanicaldan

Instead of all the question posts about how to get something to work, I wanted to start a post to find out how other people have pimped their S710s.

So, how have you tweeked your S710, what software they are using regularly, and anything else they've done to improve this great HTC platform.

I'm currently using the "PHA Vista" homescreen: http://www.modaco.com/NOW-AVAILABLE-QVGA-PA-t259555.html It has everything I could possibly want and absolutely love it. I've downloaded some blank Word and Excel templates to create files from. I've downloaded Google Maps and Live Search. I push email from my Google and Yahoo accounts to my phone at home using my Wi-Fi connection. I sync my phone to Outlook for contact, calendar appointments, and tasks daily using the USB cable so I can get a quick charge also. My phone is my alarm, and wakes me up every morning.

I've got a few CDs of music on a 128 MB SD card which I'm planning to upgrade soon to the 6 GB microSDHC card. http://www.mobymemory.com/products/SanDisk...-USB-reader.asp

I'm also planning to purchase a GPS Keychain, now that I know the S730 does not have GPS. http://www.freedominput.com/site/index.php...t&task=view I haven't decided on a software yet.

I'm just starting to look into this Streaming Radio software, so I can listen to radio stations on my phone at home also: http://radio.mundu.com/common/features.php

And lastly, I've yanked the mini USB rubber flap off due to it becoming very annoying and not staying in place.

One of these days, I might get around to overclocking the processor.

Edited by Mechanicaldan

Hey, nice thread ;)

I've had my s710 (e650) 2 days now and played with it continuously! :)

I've done/added the follow(ing) to it thus far:

- Got rid of the horrible Orange icons etc using Paul's de-brand

- Arranged my start menu so all the unused shortcuts are in a separate folder

- Fring for SIP VoIP whilst on home wi-fi.

- Efficasoft GPRS monitor... I'm on Orange with a 30mb data allowance so have to keep tabs on things!

- Google maps application

- Maniacs AutoKeylock app

- Modaco "DoNew" fix for creating new word/excel docs

- Modaco Google search fix for internet explorer... I.e. defaults to google when doing the search from homepage

- Oxios memory killer app, assigned this to key 9 for quick memory wipe

- Latest version of photo contacts pro... this rocks! Got my five favourite people's mini-thumbnails right at the top of my home screen :(

- QInbox extender (although I'm not sure this is working)

- SBSH.net's mylist app... much better than the default tasks program

- TCPMP core media player for divX etc

- Vilgo RSS reader

Gonna try the non-java version of Opera soon, see if its any better than IE.

After that its going to be a delve into the land of creating my own custom home screen as I'm missing a few things such as email (gmail) count on there.

Also going to remove the sodding rubber USB cover!

A microSD order is imminent too :D

PS. Motorola Bluetooth headphones work great as well, sound quality better than my old k800i!

Edited by MrStu

Guest ericmcintire

ways I've pimped my s710....

had it wearing a skirt and high heels down on hollywood and cahuenga...

took out an ad in the hollywood reporter..

I've tried slapping, I've tried whooping...

but I just can't seem to get this hoe to trick!

okay but in reality..

I've got it decked out with landscape mode pocketnester and 50 NES roms.. endless entertainment

full 1gb card,

aux-input in my car hooked up so all my audio comes out my car speakers

you-tube enabled...

Also very cool... I've got a link to my webcam so it streams directly to my phone.

thats all I can think of right now.

Guest realaxed

I like this thread. I've already starting using several of the apps here. So far to compliment my vox:

- 6gb micro SD card

- Lubix UBHS-LC1 bluetooth headphones ( http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1353-1.htm )

- STEAM skin by DAK Attack (blue)

- Email/Calender/Contacts all synced to my outlook - Modaco "DoNew" fix for creating new word/excel docs (just because....)

- TCPMP core media player for divX etc (o.0 ..videos play great. who needs an iphone?)

- Mundu Radio (you use it to listen to streaming radio. This is great)

- Oxios Memory (for freeing up ram, I can't get it on speed dial)

- I live on a college campus which has free wifi access all over. (don't need to pay for expensive data access)

- Youtube mobile video streaming

The will function as my phone, alarm clock, organizer, mp3 player with Streaming audio!, portable vid player, and more probably. Glad I chose this phone over the iphone. (don't like apple really)

@ MR.Stu: How do you get the Oxios Memory (Close Apps) program on speed dial? It doesn't show up on my start menu so I don't get the "Add speed dial" option.

@ Everyone: Is there an easy to follow guide for overclocking the vox. I only want it overclocked at 228- 245 mhz (overclocking it will make the vox a litte quicker at opening apps and switching from portrait to landscape mode right?)

Edited by realaxed

@ MR.Stu: How do you get the Oxios Memory (Close Apps) program on speed dial? It doesn't show up on my start menu so I don't get the "Add speed dial" option.

Paste the app. as a shortcut to your start menu (using Total Commander or Windows Explorer on your PC) and add the speed dial to the shortcut

Guest ericmcintire
Nice ;) How'd you get You-tube and video streaming?

you tube explained above... the webcam streaming is super easy... just set up an account over at myorb.com and sign in with your phone, go to webcams and stream yours!

Guest Rolandhurt01

I have pimped my Vox with Facade 1.31, AgendaOne 1.5, Papyrus, PhoneAlarm 1.11, Smart Monitor, Alarm Info, MoDaCo DoNew, MoDaCo Google Search, QInbox Extender, Efficasoft GPRS Traffic Monitor, Jeyo Mobile Companion 2.0, Jeyo Mobile Extender for Outlook 2.5 on my Lapto, 2 GB Micro SD Card, PDA Air Case bought off ebay, HTC BH S100 Blutooth Headset, paholman PAH Vista Non PhoneAlarm Version, and paholman PAH Vista PhoneAlarm Version.

Would love to overclock it just enough to make landscape/portrait switching faster when opening and closing the keyboard. But can not find any simple instructions or tutorial on overclocking.

Guest realaxed
I have pimped my Vox with Facade 1.31, AgendaOne 1.5, Papyrus, PhoneAlarm 1.11, Smart Monitor, Alarm Info, MoDaCo DoNew, MoDaCo Google Search, QInbox Extender, Efficasoft GPRS Traffic Monitor, Jeyo Mobile Companion 2.0, Jeyo Mobile Extender for Outlook 2.5 on my Lapto, 2 GB Micro SD Card, PDA Air Case bought off ebay, HTC BH S100 Blutooth Headset, paholman PAH Vista Non PhoneAlarm Version, and paholman PAH Vista PhoneAlarm Version.

Would love to overclock it just enough to make landscape/portrait switching faster when opening and closing the keyboard. But can not find any simple instructions or tutorial on overclocking.

I agreee with you there. There seems to be a refusal by the wm6 smartphone community to put a well done guide together.

I've tried understanding it myself put it's confusing.

You need omapclock to change speed, then tornado control to keep omap clock running, then another program I think to interact with tornado control.

Even once you get all the files you then need to make links or shortcuts with commands in them.

I think that's how it goes. I tried last night but gave up.

Edited by realaxed

I agreee with you there. There seems to be a refusal by the wm6 smartphone community to put a well done guide together.

I've tried understanding it myself put it's confusing.

You need omapclock to change speed, then tornado control to keep omap clock running, then another program I think to interact with tornado control.

Even once you get all the files you then need to make links or shortcuts with commands in them.

I think that's how it goes. I tried last night but gave up.

Good news. It does work. It was hell finding the info online to make it work, though. Sure, the info is out there, but you'd need to already be a smartphone wiz to figure it out. So, let me try to put it in English and spell out all the steps.

Here's what you need:

tornado power control application (available here)

The omapclock application that you'll also need should already be bundled in the above tornado power control app, but just in case it's not, you can get it here.

And, make sure your phone is "application unlocked" otherwise the tornado power control app won't run (you'll get a "Can't Map I/O" error).

Download the CAB file for Tornado (and omapclock if need be) and install like you would any application. That means copying them to your S710 via bluetooth or ActiveSync, and then running them on your phone to start the application setup process.

Now you need to link the two together. How? Well, the nature of the tornado control application is to launch files based on internal phone events. In this situation, the way to do this is to create "link" filetypes that instantiate omapclock with command line variables to set the appropriate CPU speed.

As a result, you need to create 3 link-type files (.lnk) in the same directory as the tornado application on your S710:

(the first line is the file name, and the 2nd line is exactly what I typed in notepad on my PC before saving the file as a .lnk file):

Power_On.lnk

40#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\OmapClock.exe" -clock 252

Power_Backlightoff.lnk

40#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\OmapClock.exe" -clock 186

Power_UserIdle.lnk

Once these .lnk files are saved on your PC, you can use ActiveSync or bluetooth to move the files to the \Program Files\TornadoPowerControl directory. Once there, you're almost ready to go...

You also need to create a link file type (I call the file TPC.lnk) and put it in the windows/startup folder so that Tornado Power Control loads automatically upon boot.

Here is my TPC.lnk file contents:

43#"\Program Files\load.exe" -hide "\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe" bright hide

Note that I'm using a program called "load.exe" (available here) that I simply copied to my /program files/ folder - this is optional, but it makes TPC application run in the background and not show up in task manager (which makes the overclocking even more invisible to the user). Actually, this doesn't always work (since I sometimes see Tornado in task manager), but it's still a nice concept.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Edited by JDRoss

Guest realaxed
Good news. It does work. It was hell getting the info online to make it work though.

Here's what you need:

omapclock application (available here)

Download the CAB files for each and install like you would any application. That means copying them to your S710 via bluetooth or ActiveSync, and then running them on your phone to start the application setup process.

Now you need to link the two together. How? Well, the nature of the tornado control application is to launch files based on internal phone events. In this situation, the way to do this is to create "link" filetypes that instantiate omapclock with command line variables to set the appropriate CPU speed.

As a result, you need to create 3 link-type files (.lnk) in the same directory as the tornado application on your S710:

(the first line is the file name, and the 2nd line is exactly what I typed in notepad on my PC before saving the file as a .lnk file):

Power_On.lnk

Power_Backlightoff.lnk

Power_UserIdel.lnk

Once these .lnk files are saved on your PC, you can use ActiveSync or bluetooth to move the files to the \Program Files\TornadoPowerControl directory. Once there, you're almost ready to go...

You also need to create a link file type (I call the file TPC.lnk) and put it in the windows/startup folder so that Tornado Power Control loads automatically upon boot.

43#"\Program Files\load.exe" -hide "\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe" bright hide

Note that I'm using a program called "load.exe" (available here) that I simply copied to my /program files/ folder - this is optional, but it makes TPC application run in the background and not show up in task manager (which makes the overclocking even more invisible to the user). Actually, this doesn't always work (since I sometimes see Tornado in task manager), but it's still a nice concept.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Thanks for your guide. It was very helpful. I think I have everything working now. Cept I don't really know a way to check.

Guest realaxed
Thanks for your guide. It was very helpful. I think I have everything working now. Cept I don't really know a way to check.

Nevermind. I got everything working now. Overclocking my Vox at 240mhz. Works wonders.

Can anyone explain what's the difference between backlight_off and Usr_idle.

I can guess, but how does each function differently. I think I want to underclock during those times.

Also, can that overclocking guide get stickied. It's flawless.

Guest ericmcintire
Nevermind. I got everything working now. Overclocking my Vox at 240mhz. Works wonders.

Can anyone explain what's the difference between backlight_off and Usr_idle.

I can guess, but how does each function differently. I think I want to underclock during those times.

Also, can that overclocking guide get stickied. It's flawless.

Fantastic and super helpful writeup!! I think backlight off is when its dim and idle is when its completely off. Also in the guide idel is spelled incorrectly, just in case anyone is getting hung up and not sure why. But thank you again!

Guest guido45
Good news. It does work. It was hell getting the info online to make it work though.

Here's what you need:

Download the CAB files for each and install like you would any application. That means copying them to your S710 via bluetooth or ActiveSync, and then running them on your phone to start the application setup process.

Power_On.lnk

Power_Backlightoff.lnk

Power_UserIdel.lnk

Hope this helps.

Jon

This is fantastic - works really well, thanks John!

(as mentioned before, do mind the spelling of the 3rd link file though)

Here's what you need:

Power_On.lnk

Power_Backlightoff.lnk

Power_UserIdel.lnk

Hope this helps.

Jon

Thank you very much for the crystal clear tutorial. Yet it doesn't seem to work for me: OmapClock returns the following error:

Error

Initialization failed.

Reason: Can't map I/O

And one remark: it seems that downloading omapclock is not really required, as it's included in tornado power control already.

Thank you very much for the crystal clear tutorial. Yet it doesn't seem to work for me: OmapClock returns the following error:
Error

Initialization failed.

Reason: Can't map I/O

OK, I found out what the problem was : for some reason, my E650, which I had application unlocked recently, was not application unlocked any more. Re-unlocking it fixed it all.

And one final question: I guess an overclocked phone depletes its battery faster; are there other caveats / handling warnings? Can over-overclocking fry a smartphone?

Yes I'm new to all this ;)

Guest ericmcintire
And one final question: I guess an overclocked phone depletes its battery faster; are there other caveats / handling warnings? Can over-overclocking fry a smartphone?

Yes I'm new to all this ;)

I dont think it can brick a phone... usually it will freeze up if it doesn't like how hard it's working. I personally found that 252 was freezing some applications but 240 seems perfect. Many people have been running their overclocked phones for months now without negative side effects. Usually manufactures see battery life as more important than processing speed because the vast majority of the public sees "200 mhz" and doesn't have a clue but if they see 4 hours of talk time instead of 3 they are going to notice... so in summary... yes overclocking is safe :-)

Guest jose_10000

I've overclocked my phone a few days ago, since then I feel the menus open quicker, and only until today I needed to recharge the battery, but something strange happened. During the time I had the phone pluged, and afterwards also, the backlight never turned on, it only stayed dim and then went off after not using the phone. I had to turn off the phone to get the backlight to turn on. Is this something normal? Also, the phone is taking perhaps twice the time to boot and shows the contact list during booting, is this also normal?

Guest chucky.egg

OMG!

I cant believe how much better this is overclocked.

I'm running at 240 and it's just a different phone altogether. I'm used to a Blackjack (rubbish battery life) so I can live with poorer battery as the price for the speed.

Thanks to all involved, this really has made a HUGE difference!