How have you pimped your S710?

Guest Mechanicaldan

Thank you JDRoss for the guide! Its new phone now ;) also updated my ooold version of smarttoolkit (http://www.e-natives.com) thought that project was dead but he changed his webaddress :( and its really nice, now i have a "screensaver" digitalclock so I think its gonna be easier to tell the time when i have my phone locked and just wanna check the time..

Guest swapnilgyani

For some reason, smarttoolkit has never quite worked out correctly for me...have had stability problems wid da fone everytime i've run the software

This is fantastic - works really well, thanks John!

(as mentioned before, do mind the spelling of the 3rd link file though)

Fixed the spelling, folks. Idle is now spelled properly. Thanks for the feedback, and glad to help.

Also, updated the guide to talk about unlocking the phone before it'll work, and the lack of need to install both omap and tornado.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rafael1000
Good news. It does work. It was hell getting the info online to make it work, though. So, let me try to put it in English and spell out all the steps.

Here's what you need:

tornado power control application (available here)

The omapclock application that you'll also need should already be bundled in the above tornado power control app, but just in case it's not, you can get it here.

And, make sure your phone is "application unlocked" otherwise the tornado power control app won't run (you'll get a "Can't Map I/O" error).

Download the CAB file for Tornado (and omapclock if need be) and install like you would any application. That means copying them to your S710 via bluetooth or ActiveSync, and then running them on your phone to start the application setup process.

Now you need to link the two together. How? Well, the nature of the tornado control application is to launch files based on internal phone events. In this situation, the way to do this is to create "link" filetypes that instantiate omapclock with command line variables to set the appropriate CPU speed.

As a result, you need to create 3 link-type files (.lnk) in the same directory as the tornado application on your S710:

(the first line is the file name, and the 2nd line is exactly what I typed in notepad on my PC before saving the file as a .lnk file):

Power_On.lnk

40#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\OmapClock.exe" -clock 252

Power_Backlightoff.lnk

40#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\OmapClock.exe" -clock 186

Power_UserIdle.lnk

40#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\OmapClock.exe" -clock 186

Once these .lnk files are saved on your PC, you can use ActiveSync or bluetooth to move the files to the \Program Files\TornadoPowerControl directory. Once there, you're almost ready to go...

You also need to create a link file type (I call the file TPC.lnk) and put it in the windows/startup folder so that Tornado Power Control loads automatically upon boot.

Here is my TPC.lnk file contents:

43#"\Program Files\load.exe" -hide "\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe" bright hide

Note that I'm using a program called "load.exe" (available here) that I simply copied to my /program files/ folder - this is optional, but it makes TPC application run in the background and not show up in task manager (which makes the overclocking even more invisible to the user). Actually, this doesn't always work (since I sometimes see Tornado in task manager), but it's still a nice concept.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Hello,

Your tutorial works perfectly when i install Tornado on internal memory, but when I install it in storage card it saids : Skipped Power_On.ink (File Does not exist).

What can i do? I suppose it must be a .Ink file to change.

My actual Power_On.ink:

40#"\Storage Card\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\OmapClock.exe" -clock 240

I also tried the same thing with your file :

40#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\OmapClock.exe" -clock 240

But it doesn't work!

Same think for the ink in the startup, tornado doesn't lauch at start !

What can I do to make this program works on storage card?

Thanks

Guest paulgspence

I've just put an 8Gb Sandisk card in my E650. Some apps don't appear to recognise the full 8Gb, but what the hell, they still work.

I'm using SKTools as well and I've set the Start Menu to display in list view, instead of tiled icons. May not be to everyone's liking, but I think it is fairly smart.

I'm also using Resco Explorer 2007, TomTom Mobile 5.2 and Microsoft Voice Command 1.6, which all add really great functionality to the phone.

My old M500 had SPB Pocket Plus which was great for properly closing applications, is there any equivalent for WM6 Standard?

Guest paulgspence
That's kinda odd, i'd expect it to be 'all or nothing'.

P

It was a similar story on my old M500, in which I had a 4Gb card. The camera application didn't recognise the card at all unless it had roughly 2Gb of free space or less. If the full 4Gb was free it didn't work.

Having just checked my E650 again the only thing I've come across that doesn't recognise the full 8Gb is the 'My Phone' feature which appears on the Orange Home Screen. (Not a huge deal because I know most people here probably don't use it.)

Guest markm18

I just installed this on my S710 also and it the screen refresh is much faster when switching between applications! Thanks!

One question though. I don't see the Tornado program running in the task manager, but I can tell it is overclocking the processor. I regularly to a "Stop All" in task manager to keep things moving along faster. If I do this now, will it stop the Tornado program from overclocking even though I can't see it?