SPB release Pocket Plus 4

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
smart_scrolling.gif
SPB Software House, purveyors of a wide range of quality Windows Mobile software, have just released version 4 of their 'Pocket Plus' utility suite.

Well, I say that, but they kinda have and they kinda haven't ;) Handango is showing version 4.0 as a new release, while the SPB page still shows the previous version, 3.2.0.

Features in the new release include the Today Plugin, Smart Scrolling (a-la-TouchFlo) which allows you to scroll web pages, contacts, emails, etc with your finger, Internet Explorer enhancements including IE7 style tabs, fast search panel, the ability to save web pages and view page source, a real close button (the function that made the app famous), File Explorer enhancements including ZIP support, file encryption, file properties (view edit file extension and attributes), storage card format and check folder size in folder properties, Custom Buttons, an Improved Open / Save dialogue and Safe Mode booting.

Phew, there's quite a lot in there :(

A trial version is available, and the full version retails at $29.95.

Enjoy :D

P

EXE download only on Handango (no CAB) and registration required.

Grrr...

P

;) really looking forward to a proper change log!!!

Excited by the prospect of a genuine new version! Hopefully they haven't just versioned it up because of the tabbed browser.....

Guest Neil5459
.. Hopefully they haven't just versioned it up because of the tabbed browser.....

This is not a 'versioned up' release of PP3 ;) It is a major code rewrite with a significantly smaller installation size, a lower RAM footprint, and faster loading/execution of the various modules.

Guest dudegalea
Installing now ;)

P

Damn. Looks like they've removed Repeating Alarms. That was one of the main features I used in the old one.

Looks like I'm gonna have to downgrade this one.

Edited by dudegalea

Guest dudegalea
Damn. Looks like they've removed Repeating Alarms. That was one of the main features I used in the old one.

Looks like I'm gonna have to downgrade this one.

Ah, looks like it's not just me:

http://www.spbclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php...b17a21a57088b6f

Vassili says that they'll release the Repeating Alarms as a separate download 'soon'. So I'll wait for that to be available before trying v4 again.

Installing now :(

P

Installed the trial period...got to say, the optimisation is genuinely noticeable. Its far more responsive. Some folks on SPB forums reporting crashes / lockups but so far no problems for me. Changing the options for the tabs themselves does seem to take a while to refresh the screen though...that's when people are reporting some problems too.

I'm liking running the HTC Home screen plugin within a tab (functionality they borrowed from SPB Mobile Shell), so I can finally get contacts and diary off onto their own tabs, not tiny three-record efforts at the bottom of the HTC home screen! I fact, my 'home' tab is now just HTC Home + Live search(google-ised thanks ;) ) + GPRS monitor. Nice and clean :D

Guest Rush242

Does anyone have a good idea why they have created both Pocket Plus and Shell?

It seems like they do the exact same things, or am I missing something? It seems as if you could have Shell at the top of your screen, and Pocket Plus at the bottom and they could both be doing the exact same things...

But then I didn't see PP with weather, or could there be?

Just massive overlap? One is better than the other? Any thoughts?

Guest Phil Lee

I installed the trial version on my VIII which already had Mobile Shell installed. There does appear to be a lot of overlap in the Today screen functionality, to the extent that I removed the Pocket Plus Today plugin and switched back to the Mobile Shell one. I'm not sure if this is better or not, I guess I should look at the memory usage. As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure about it. The VIII has most of the task manager capabilities already covered. The IE stuff looks good but I'm warming to Opera which also has tabbed browsing. I'd like it if the tabs were still visible in full screen mode. The biggest thing you are buying is smart scrolling. I have no idea if this is better than touch flo or in fact if this is being used instead of touch flo since I can't find a way to turn off touch flo.

Edit: I actually decided to uninstall PP. This has had an unfortunate side effect on my VIII. In order to use the PP task manager I switched off the HTC X-Button quick menu from the Today screen. With PP uninstalled I can no longer enable the HTC quick menu on the Today screen. This is really annoying because I don't really want to do a hard reset and have to reinstall everything on my system.

Edit again: According to SPB, Smart Scrolling is disabled in TouchFlo devices. I decided to hard reset my VIII to get back the task manager and remove the effect of PP. I'm in the process of recovering now. I'm glad I remembered to back up the TomTom files to avoid a reactivation.

Edited by Phil Lee

Guest mikeeey
I installed the trial version on my VIII which already had Mobile Shell installed. There does appear to be a lot of overlap in the Today screen functionality, to the extent that I removed the Pocket Plus Today plugin and switched back to the Mobile Shell one. I'm not sure if this is better or not, I guess I should look at the memory usage. As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure about it. The VIII has most of the task manager capabilities already covered. The IE stuff looks good but I'm warming to Opera which also has tabbed browsing. I'd like it if the tabs were still visible in full screen mode. The biggest thing you are buying is smart scrolling. I have no idea if this is better than touch flo or in fact if this is being used instead of touch flo since I can't find a way to turn off touch flo.

Edit: I actually decided to uninstall PP. This has had an unfortunate side effect on my VIII. In order to use the PP task manager I switched off the HTC X-Button quick menu from the Today screen. With PP uninstalled I can no longer enable the HTC quick menu on the Today screen. This is really annoying because I don't really want to do a hard reset and have to reinstall everything on my system.

Edit again: According to SPB, Smart Scrolling is disabled in TouchFlo devices. I decided to hard reset my VIII to get back the task manager and remove the effect of PP. I'm in the process of recovering now. I'm glad I remembered to back up the TomTom files to avoid a reactivation.

um...that doesnt sound too fun.. i think il wait for some more people to test it before i actually install it on my device.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.