GMail Java application updated to version 1.5

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Are you using the GMail Java application on your device? If so, you'll be pleased to learn that Google Mail (Java) has been updated to version 1.5 (from version 1.1).

The release - detailed here at Google and which can be downloaded by pointing your device at http://gmail.com/app - adds a number of new features, including...

• Faster, more Gmail-like user experience
    Gmail for mobile devices is easy to use and now even faster than before, with the same functions and look and feel as Gmail on the web. Once installed on your mobile device, you're just a click or two away from the messages in your Gmail inbox.
  • Easier on data consumption
    We streamlined the application to use about half as much data as before - reducing access time and data cost.
  • Web and mobile in sync
    Your Gmail account stays in sync whether you access it from your PC or your phone. Send an email from your mobile device and you'll find it in the 'Sent Mail' folder on your PC.
  • Searching
    Gmail for mobile devices allows you to search through your entire Gmail archive in seconds. Simply click on the search menu option and input your query.

Apparently it also adds a rather unpleasant banner on the end of your messages, but thankfully this can be disabled.

I'd love to tell you how well it runs on my MDA Vario III, but, er, it's not installing properly currently! Does it work for you? Oh and Google - where's our native GMail for Windows Mobile application? ;)

P

Source: Google Operating System

Doesn't work on my HTC Touch.

Sorry, Google Mail for mobile will not work on your phone. Your phone does not have the appropriate certificate to communicate with the server.

What does that mean?

I've just tried installing it on my SPV M3100 but at the end it closed the MIDlet Manager and erased all other java applications I've had installed on my device ;)

had to downgrade to version 1.1.1

I'm using the Jeodek Esmertec manager, seems to be a bit better than the standard midlet manager

It did run Opera Mini while the standard one wouldn't

why don't you give it a go?

(i'm also using a Vario 3)

Guest Rush242
Sigh, looks like I need to investigate installing a different JVM. Any recommendations anyone?

I had that same problem. D'oH!!

Seems it doesn't like the Java. Given how good Google Maps is, I would much rather have an app than have to go to the website, even if it is a mobile site.

Guest ankerman
Doesn't work on my HTC Touch.

Sorry, Google Mail for mobile will not work on your phone. Your phone does not have the appropriate certificate to communicate with the server.

It doesn't work on my Orange SPV E650 either, same message.

Again, works out of the box on the Kaiser (TyTn II).

Then again, so does everything. I haven't had to manually configure a thing on this phone with T-Mobile in the U.S. It just knows what all the proper settings are. A miracle really.

Guest Menneisyys

Guys, make sure you follow my articles cross-posted to the forum ;)

As I've posted over a week ago into this very forum too, 1.5.0 is absolutely incompatible with TAO Intent manager or Esmerted Jeodek (NOT Jbed). You *must* use it with either IBM J9, Jblend (which is, otherwise, NOT recommended for its screwed-up security model) or Esmertec Jbed.

Also see the Gmail-related row in the main chart of my MIDlet Bible ( http://www.winmobiletech.com/092007MidletB...ityAndMain.html ) and have also discussed this issue on my blog with some other people (see the comments at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php...p;tb=1&pb=1 )

Edited by Menneisyys

Guest Menneisyys
Again, works out of the box on the Kaiser (TyTn II).

Then again, so does everything. I haven't had to manually configure a thing on this phone with T-Mobile in the U.S. It just knows what all the proper settings are. A miracle really.

Yeah, the Kaiser has the Jbed MIDlet manager by default. Older phones, on the other hand, generally have TAO or, with newer, WM6 phones, Esmertec Jeodek. This is why it isn't working with many people.

Edited by Menneisyys

Guest Menneisyys
Is there a JVM that actually feels nice for inputting text etc (rather than, say, popping up a new full screen box for each text field)?

P

Only CrEme, but it sucks like hell. IBM J9 also allows for in-line editing of one-row text input fields but not multiline ones.

Guest Reality Dysfunction
It doesn't work on my Orange SPV E650 either, same message.

I got the earlier version of gmail working on my E650 after installing the Esmertec Jbed

JVM (rather than the Jeodek version that comes with the phone) mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I found it on the XDA developers forum.

You may need to application unlock your phone. I also needed to use Paul's Orange de-branding download from this site to get it to run properly.

After all that, it still had problems with the QWERTY keyboard!

Anybody else had problems with gmail mistaking the QWERTY keyboard for numberpad?

Have not tried V1.5 yet...

Guest Menneisyys
JVM (rather than the Jeodek version that comes with the phone) mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I found it on the XDA developers forum.

I've also directly linked it in from the chart; it's worth folloing the link from there

Guest Menneisyys
I got the earlier version of gmail working on my E650 after installing the Esmertec Jbed

Have not tried V1.5 yet...

It'll work - see my compatibility reports.

Guest Menneisyys
Sorry. Why are you using this app instead of POP access using the native Windows Mobile Messaging? To gain access to other folders?

It has a lot of additional goodies - for example, server-side searching just like with IMAP. Really superior to any local mailer client.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.