MDA Vario III Initial Problems

Guest En_croute

Guest En_croute

Not been round here for a while - got distracted to a Nokia E70 when my Vario (KJam) was stolen.

Now I'm back with the Vario 3 (TYTN 2)

Here's the issues I've had so far.

I have tried to search the forums, but to no avail......... Any assistance here is gratefully received. :(

Key Press volume on Smart Dialer is VERY loud - can you change it without changing the overall volume?

Screen Black during outbound call (edit: Found Reg hack - not tested yet)

Screen Dimming on/after inbound, Windows key locked, today screen active. Turn off (not power down) and on again, screen opens dimmed, goes black, and opens again bright - and fully functional. (edit: Found Reg hack - not tested yet - Re-edit: Aparently it won't work!)

Can you set outbound to Select Wifi first, and then GPRS when WiFi not available? (Symbian/Nokia E70 feature)

Why won't GPRS/WiFi work when the USB is connected - our work PC's block Internet access via USB, so the USB cradle cuts me off from MSN/email etc - can this be hacked/changed?

Can you configure any options for HTC Today Plugin (Weather update interval, ringing profiles etc)

Can't seem to delete unwanted email accounts (Outlook - Installed by default) and Windows Live (Installed automatically with MSN Messanger)

Sync-ing error: Network Access Message error when (Outlook) Notes are included, but the device syncs anyway on second attempt (the notes won't sync - "Attention Required"). No error if notes removed from sync list.

(Contacts and Calander & Tasks are all fine). Outlook running from local PST, not Exchange, and worked fine under WM5/KJam and Nokia E70)

If you open Calander from Soft Button, it opens in Year View (despite set to Agenda) Open by tapping today screen, opens in Agenda view. - Bug ??

Don't get me wrong, I think it a fabulous phone, although Google Maps couldn't keep up at 70mph, ;) had to zoom out. Yahoo Maps works fine at same zoom level, so some data issues there! TomTom6 loading tomorrow, so not important!

Additional: Press Red Phone key for 5 second, phone locks. Nice !

Edited by En_croute

Screen Dimming on/after inbound, Windows key locked, today screen active. Turn off (not power down) and on again, screen opens dimmed, goes black, and opens again bright - and fully functional. (edit: Found Reg hack - not tested yet)

Is there a reg hack for that? i thought it was just a bug, the dormantscreen thing doesn't change that part. Disabling the passcode does remove that issue though, annoyingly.

Guest En_croute
Is there a reg hack for that? i thought it was just a bug, the dormantscreen thing doesn't change that part. Disabling the passcode does remove that issue though, annoyingly.

Ah, thanks for that news!

Post updated !

Edited by En_croute

Guest Neil5459
Can you set outbound to Select Wifi first, and then GPRS when WiFi not available? (Symbian/Nokia E70 feature)

Windows Mobile will use a WLAN connection in preference to GPRS when a WiFi connection is active. This seems to work OK, but if an active GPRS data session is in use when WLAN is started, sometimes it won't switch till you restart the application requesting data. Exchange Hosted Pocket Outlook accounts prefer to use GPRS as it's always on, but WLAN goes off when the device goes into standby.

Why won't GPRS/WiFi work when the USB is connected - our work PC's block Internet access via USB, so the USB cradle cuts me off from MSN/email etc - can this be hacked/changed?

There is a setting in the PC ActiveSync Host- 'Allow Wireless Connections while docked', which your work's IT department may have disabled. When checked, you can use your PPC's GPRS and WLAN.

If you have a Wi-Fi connection it will use that by default over GPRS/3G, to ensure it is definitely using Wi-Fi open your comm manager and hit the 'Data connection' button

There is a setting in ActiveSync that lets you kep a cellular connection while it is plugged in. At work at the mo but dig through the settings and you should find it

Can you configure any options for HTC Today Plugin (Weather update interval, ringing profiles etc)

Click on your location name (e.g. London) to gwt to the 'select city' dialogue, now click Menu>Weather Options and you can set the update interval

AFAIK you can't expand on the built in profiles

You can't remove the Outlook account, at least not without consequenses, I did it with a reg hack on my Wizard and it screwed up my alerts. Hard reset was the only way to recover them.

When you install messenger (the latest version anyway) if you dont select the 'sync mail' option it doesn't create an account. not sure if you can do this retrospectively to remove the account but worth a try, otherwise consider a re-install

Sync-ing error: Dunno

Calander from SoftKey: try setting the button to something else, then re-asigning it to Calendar and see if it fixes it

Google maps isn't perfect for me either, try Windows Live Search (Better IMO and tracks my GPS location perfectly) or Yahoo Go (only installed yesterday so as yet untried by myself)

Oh yeah and it is a Fabulous Phone ;)

Guest Swampie
There is a setting in ActiveSync that lets you kep a cellular connection while it is plugged in. At work at the mo but dig through the settings and you should find it

The option is "Allow data connections on device when connected to PC", but it doesn't allow it for WiFi connections - only GPRS/3G etc.

With ActiveSync 4 and later, WiFi will always be disconnected when docked. This is part of the security changes made in ActiveSync. The risk was that with WiFi running (possibly insecure/hackable), there was a risk of being able to then access the corporate network via the WiFi link. Consequently, whenever the device is docked, WiFi will be disabled.

This has caused Windows Mobile developers no end of headaches as traditionally, debugging has been done over the USB sync connection - however if you ever need to debug an application which makes use of a WiFi connection then you can't - at least, not using the USB connection method. You have to do the debugging itself also over the WiFi link, which has issues of its own.

Edited by Swampie

The option is "Allow data connections on device when connected to PC", but it doesn't allow it for WiFi connections - only GPRS/3G etc.

That is true, No WiFi while plugged in. Thanks for clarifying ;)