My new SMS LED won't stop flashing!

Guest Incendiary

Guest Incendiary

I received a couple of SMSes last night, and ever since then the notification LED (which I'd changed to the blue one with the app that was posted here) hasn't stopped blinking! I don't have any other messages unread, and am a little stumped as how to fix it! I've tried having another SMS sent to my phone, but that hasn't helped. Any ideas?!

Guest Incendiary

Yep, and it was all working just fine (and has been for more than a week), which is why I'm finding it so puzzling that it's happened all of a sudden!

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

then it's hard reset time I suppose

No need for a hard reset wiping everything, a soft reset or just power down and back on again (holding power button down for a few seconds) should be enough.

I'm the author of that program. Seems odd it would keep flashing as it simply checks the standard notification value for unread SMS's.

Try going into the setup program then click okay. This causes the program to check all values for unread messages again and should reset the LED. To check the LED/phone is responding correctly using setup again, turn of LED notifications, if the blue (and other's) stop this tells me the program is working normally.

It may be getting a value for unread messages if you have an unread one in a different folder, so while it looks like the messages are all read, Windows Mobile knows there is one not read but out sight from you in another folder. Check your SMS deleted items for any unread ones lurking there.

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Guest Incendiary
No need for a hard reset wiping everything, a soft reset or just power down and back on again (holding power button down for a few seconds) should be enough.

First thing I tried, didn't do any good.

I'm the author of that program. Seems odd it would keep flashing as it simply checks the standard notification value for unread SMS's.

Absolutely - I'm not suggesting your program is at fault, just added to the post as it was relevant info.

Try going into the setup program then click okay. This causes the program to check all values for unread messages again and should reset the LED. To check the LED/phone is responding correctly using setup again, turn of LED notifications, if the blue (and other's) stop this tells me the program is working normally.

Going in and pressing okay didn't have any affect, but turning off all notifications works as expected.

It may be getting a value for unread messages if you have an unread one in a different folder, so while it looks like the messages are all read, Windows Mobile knows there is one not read but out sight from you in another folder. Check your SMS deleted items for any unread ones lurking there.

I've cleared out all of the SMS/MMS folders, along with the e-mail ones just to be sure, first manually and then using the menu option to clear. No change unfortunately :-(

Thanks for your help, and may I pass on my gratitude for your notification program - being colour blind without it I would never have been able to tell if I had a message or if my phone was just switched on!

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

Have you tried a soft reset since, did that correct it?

If all LEDs stopped when the setting was changed shows that the program was still running okay and the hardware is responding to the commands, so I guess it must be that the Kaiser still thinks it has unread messages and is reporting 1 or more unread messages to programs that ask for that information. Have you received any text messages since the problem started? If you haven't try sending one to yourself to see if that is enough to get the phone to reset the counts of unread texts. Also MMS messages will trigger the LED too.

Overnight the phone runs several updating tasks so it might correct itself.

If you are still having problems let me know and I can explain how you might be able to correct the problem, but you will need a program to edit the registry.

Regards

Phil

Guest Incendiary
Have you tried a soft reset since, did that correct it?

I just did, and unfortunately not. However, two Network Messages have appeared in my SMS inbox without notification that they'd arrived. Deleted those and soft reset again, but still no dice.

Have you received any text messages since the problem started? If you haven't try sending one to yourself to see if that is enough to get the phone to reset the counts of unread texts. Also MMS messages will trigger the LED too.

Yeah, I have. Sent myself a couple from other phones too.

If you are still having problems let me know and I can explain how you might be able to correct the problem, but you will need a program to edit the registry.

I'll keep trying things, but that would be very much appreciated!

Edited by Incendiary

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

I just did, and unfortunately not. However, two Network Messages have appeared in my SMS inbox without notification that they'd arrived. Deleted those and soft reset again, but still no dice.

Yeah, I have. Sent myself a couple from other phones too.

I'll keep trying things, but that would be very much appreciated!

To check what might be happening, assuming you have no unread messages showing anywhere, use a registry program and browse to: (you can get a Task Manager application here which includes a registry editor http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\State then Messages.

Open the MMS folder, if you have a folder in here called Unread, check the values, if count is other than 0, then change it to 0.

Move down to the SMS folder and check it's Unread folder, if the count here is not 0 then change it to 0.

This should stop the flashing, however if these then get reset back to a value other than zero when you have no unread messages then it points to Windows Mobile really thinking it has some messages that are unread.

If both these values are already zero then I'm at a loss to what else to suggest.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Guest Incendiary

Haha, brilliant! The change to the registry seems to have done the trick - hopefully it will stay like that!

Thank you very much for all your help Phil, it's greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CorruptedSanity

Hi Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to create such a great app and the time to respond to errors. The symptoms are literally exactly what im going through,except I havent edited the registry yet.

Ill try it now.

Thanks again!

Guest CorruptedSanity

I found that the registry values in the unread folder for both mms and sms were 1 and 2 respectively.

I changed them to 0 and the notification works great, lets hope this phenomenon doesn't repeat itself.