Bitten off more than I can chew...help!

Guest squiggs1982

Guest squiggs1982

Evening all,

Ok, I've been running hosted exchange through mail2web for the last year or so. I pay for one of the professional services so that I can use my own domain name, instead of the mail2web.com domain and have to use forwarding and aggregators etc. It works very well on my Kaiser and Hermes before that.

However, I've recently become fed up with the fact that thy've still not upgraded to Exchange 2007, so have been looking for a different provider.

Tonight signed up with exchangemailhosting.com, giving an unlimited mailbox size for $9.99 a month. Seemed like a good deal.

I assumed that once I signed up, I would be able to request the domain name swap andafter a couple of days, I would have the domain pointing at their servers and could dtch mail2web.

However, I recieved my activation email and the only reference to my doman name and the service is the following:

DNS

In order for IT Solutions Now to accept mail for your domain, you will need to change your MX records to point to the IT Solutions Now servers. Be sure to make the changes listed in the MX Records section and the AutoDiscover section.

MX Records

Primary MX Record: smtp01.netplexity.net (priority 10)

Secondary MX Record: smtp02.netplexity.net (priority 20)

AutoDiscover

In addition to changing your MX Records, you will also need to create one of the following DNS records:

CNAME record for autodiscover.yourdomain.com pointing to autodiscover.myhostedsolution.com (preferred method)

Or

A record for autodiscover.yourdomain.com pointing to 66.129.95.126

Ohoh! I have a vague understanding of DNS, its purpose and such, but I am waaaay out of my depth here! :( ;)

Can anyone suggest what I need to do as my domain is hosted by mail2web also, so I don't have control over the MX records.

Feel rather silly now, but appreciate any help!!

Guest NuShrike
Ohoh! I have a vague understanding of DNS, its purpose and such, but I am waaaay out of my depth here! :( ;)

Can anyone suggest what I need to do as my domain is hosted by mail2web also, so I don't have control over the MX records.

Feel rather silly now, but appreciate any help!!

Discuss it with IT Solutions now staff. Should have been obvious to IT Solutions that you can't change the MX records in the midst of transferring your domain to them from mail2web. Sounds like you'll be out of mail for a week at worse if they do their job.

Seems silly they can't host your mail by setting up a mail forwarder but requiring an MX setup also.

Are you saying you bought your domain from mail2web? I would be happy to assist you in configuring your domain, it should be very simple if you have the domain on a third party provider. If you have to transfer your domain away from mail2web then it is more complicated and the new company should be able to help you.

Guest jimbouk

Exchange 2007 seems to have a limitation on email forwarding... just use the control panel for your domain and make the changes they suggest, ie point the mx records at the addresses they say.

Guest squiggs1982

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm in the process of having the domain transferred to 123-reg.co.uk (which appears to be a subsidiary of Pipex). Mail2web doesn't allow me to play with any of the DNS settings, the above will.

So to clarify a couple of things:

When I complete the transfer and point the MX servers at my new email provider, this won't happen instantly, correct?

If that's the case, can I do anything to make sure that email isn't lost, or can I set up some sort of auto message informing people that i may not receive their mails?

Finally, this should definitely work? don't want to permanently disable my email!

Thanks again.

Guest jimbouk

I use 123. It works fine. Just log in to your control panel, make sure your domain uses their dns servers and then update your mx and cname records.

It wont take long and you shouldn't lose any email.

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm in the process of having the domain transferred to 123-reg.co.uk (which appears to be a subsidiary of Pipex). Mail2web doesn't allow me to play with any of the DNS settings, the above will.

123-reg are good. I recommend them to my hosting clients and have quite a few domains with them myself. Simple enough and cheap.

When I complete the transfer and point the MX servers at my new email provider, this won't happen instantly, correct?

Well if you want to get technical, it depends on your current TTL settings (time to live). E.g. if it's currently set to a day, the servers sending email to you on behalf of other people will probably try and look at the IP address of your old servers to deliver email. This will fail and...

If that's the case, can I do anything to make sure that email isn't lost, or can I set up some sort of auto message informing people that i may not receive their mails?

Probably send one of those "your email has been delayed" emails to the sender. Most email servers will retry sending for a while, so you actually shouldn't loose any emails at all.

So hopefully, worst case is that your email will be delayed. Unfortunately I've never had the experience of moving a domain before so I'm unsure how long the transfer takes but once they press the button it's all instant as far as I know.

Finally, this should definitely work? don't want to permanently disable my email!

Yep! As long as you set your MX records to what they asked when you're transferred over you'll be fine. Again if you need any help I'd be happy to assist. Also if you need a simple holding page provided for your domain name I also have hosting available and if you just want a basic front page I don't mind giving it away for free ;) Modaco special :D

Feel free to PM me. If you want to take me up on either! :(

Laurie