HSDPA frustration on Vario III

Guest Zeusie67

Guest tsutton
Tony, HSDPA coverage is great in Norwich. V speedy ;)

Only GPRS when I'm in my office, but outside the building, HSDPA popped up and all I can say is... Wow! :(

I've just been told i can't have HSDPA on my account (Flext 35 +wen'n'walk standard), so I've replied with a torrent of criticism and rants that got so out of hand it was almost verging on a novel.

Hopefully this might encourage T-Mobile to pull their fingers out.

Guest Phil Lee

That's weird. I can access HSPDA data on my VIII using a my Flext25 + W&W Standard account. I upgraded 3 weeks ago from the old Web & Walk 100 which gave 100 minutes and 40Gb of data. I didn't ask them to enable HSPDA data.

Edited by Phil Lee

That's weird. I can access HSPDA data on my VIII using a my Flext25 + W&W Standard account. I upgraded 3 weeks ago from the old Web & Walk 100 which gave 100 minutes and 40Gb of data. I didn't ask them to enable HSPDA data.

I have just been told by T-Mobile c/s that the hsdpa 384k uplink is now a standard feature which is automatically enabled on web and walk new accounts (my account was upgraded from flext35 to flext35 w&w which was enabled on the 20th Oct)

is this true or are they spinning me a line, I am sure I have seen a small H sometimes but I wouldn't say I was impressed with the speed

when I look on my t-mobile / price plan / additional services I cannot see the option either ticked or unticked

if you've seen the H then you've got the HSDPA. however, you'll only get the broadband speeds whilst the H is there and it will be slower the rest of the time. I would've expected you to have the service listed on your "my t-mobile" page though.

Guest fdrzrich
A quick text message to T-Mobile, they have added it and I can see it in my T-Mobile account.

Hurrah! Will need to test it... if I can find any HSDPA coverage! ;)

What number did you text as the customer support menu seems a bit misleading! Went to services etc and it just told me I already had WnW!

Guest fdrzrich
What number did you text as the customer support menu seems a bit misleading! Went to services etc and it just told me I already had WnW!

Well I emailed them:

"Hi,

Please can you enable HSDPA data on my account, as it is not visible on the 'my account' section of your website. The 'H' icon is not showing when browsing on my Vario 3 either, even though 3G is.

Thanks,"

and got a reply:

"Thank you for your email.

HSDPA is not available with all price plans. It is not currently included with Flext 25+web'n'walk (18)."

Hmm!! I've asked them to confirm with technical support, as I said that I knew that others on the same contract had it, and that it should be enabled on all new WnW accounts.....We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess!

Guest fdrzrich
I don't know for certain about Flext25, but I get the HDSPA (and awesome speeds) on my Flext20 WnW plan... :/

Grrrrr!!! They had better sort it out! ;) :(

Hi,

Just got connected a few days ago with T-mobile (Flex20-WnW 18month) with a Vario III. Looking at the price plan section (and additional services), there appears to be no mention or option of hsdpa 384k uplink?

I have only noticed the 3G icon, but never have i seen the H icon for HSDPA. I have tried some general speed tests i.e. performance.toast.net, and its given us ~1200kb.

But is with the 3G icon only.

So does that mean i'm getting HSDPA speeds? even thou, theres no icon or sign of it being mentioned in the additional services....(see below)

Price PlanMonthly Cost Exc VAT Flext 20 + web'n'walk (18 months)£23.40 Your plan includes: web surfing and e-mails

Unlimited* internet browsing and email on the move. £34

Use your allowance on any mix of UK calls, texts & picture messages. £34 allowance gets you up to 170 minutes or 340 texts. Don’t decide in advance, just use your phone and use it up. Contract ends 21/04/2009

Additional ServicesService Cost Exc VATServices you currently have: Remove Content Lock Free £5 OFF line rental Free Video Calling Free Extra 5 Int Text 21/11/2007 Free 18 Month Upgrade Flag Free Capped Data Rate Free Services you can add:Service Recuring CostService connection cost to add Account options Full Directory Listing Full Directory Listing

Free Free Who Called Bar Who Called Bar

Free Free Fax&data plus Fax&data plus

Free £29.79 Charge to account Bar Charge to account Bar

Free Free International option International option

£2.13 Free Picture Messaging Picture Messaging

Free Free Flext Weekly SMS opt out Flext Weekly SMS opt out

Free Free Video Calling Video Calling

Free Free Capped Data Rate Capped Data Rate

Free Free

Guest wizzzard

Just got off the phone with the helpfull Alan at T-mob Tech Support. I had rang up complaining of slow download speeds and wanted to check if everything that needed to be enabled was actually enabled on my account. He confirmed my details (FlexT20 W&Wbasic) and then activated HSDPA. He called me back on my landline while I soft reset my phone and waited for me to connect to the T-mobile website. This did not take long as I now had a nice H symbol at the top of my screen ;)

Web browsing is now much quicker, and Windows Live still works. I will try Youtube later and then see if Live Search and Google Maps can keep up while driving. Well my passenger can check this.

Guest fdrzrich

Well, not good news for me! Guy from tech support rang me this afternoon, said that HSDPA used to be available on WnW but because people have been using that for laptop access they now limit it to WnW Plus - which costs an extra £5 a month. He said he was just going to enable it on my account as I had asked for it, but the option was not there.

Guess I'm stuck with just 3G speeds now then, unless you guys have any other suggestions? Has anyone taken out a WnW 25 in the last 2 weeks or so and got HSDPA?

Guest Paxman's Tie

I'm also having the same problem with the lack of hsdpa service on my new Flext20 W'n'W contract. Signed up a week ago and spoke to tech support on Tuesday. The guy checked my plan and confirmed that hsdpa wasn't shown & the option to enable it was not available. I pointed out the Vario III was advertised as an hsdpa mobile, that others on similar accounts have hsdpa enabled and I expect mine to be the same. After speaking with '2nd tier' tech support (whoever they are), he told me that hsdpa 'should be there' & 'couldn't see why it wasn't already enabled, adding that all W'n'W accounts should be hsdpa by default. I've been promised a call back by the end of this week, so I'll see what he comes back with.

Checking the T-Mob website I can't find anything to suggest that hsdpa is only available on W'n'W Plus or Max plans: the only stated restrictions refer to monthly bandwidth & modem/P2P/voip/IM usage. The Vario III is even advertised as 'a stylish and powerful pocket PC offering one of the best mobile internet experiences on the market - with 1.8MBps HSDPA, surfing and downloading is super fast.' Even the damn box has 'hsdpa high speed connection' printed on it and I don't see any tiny asterisk next it that T-Mob could use to wriggle out of their obligation!

just got this...

"It was a business decision to only provide HSDPA on the new flext plans - web n walk plus and max"

"The changes came into effect on the 17th October"

they sorted it for me anyways though. i've got 3 missed calls too so i should find out more later.

just got this...

"It was a business decision to only provide HSDPA on the new flext plans - web n walk plus and max"

"The changes came into effect on the 17th October"

they sorted it for me anyways though. i've got 3 missed calls too so i should find out more later.

Phoned them yesterday and got the same response; that HSPDA was only enabled on the plus/max plans as of 17th October. The basic WnW would not include this, unless your package was activated before the 17th October.

Unforunately for me, i was activated a few days later 21st, so they came that i am unable to get HSDPA on the account unless i upgrade to pro/max?

However, there's still alot of confusion as i've read in other threads that for any new WnW packages the HSDPA is active automatically?

I still don't get the H icon shown when browsing or downloading, only get the 3G icon with the full 4 bars.

Whats strange is when i run a speed test via http://performance.toast.net/

select Shuttle + Text (755K)

I get between 500 - 1510Kb.....Is is not the case that anything above 384K is an indication of HSDPA speed?

Can i ask some kind soul to run the above tests on your Vario and let me know what results you get?

I've tried other speed tests, but can't get them working due to javascript or some issue with the ie browser.

Much appreciated!!

i got 377k on HSDPA

Which web host did you try?

Plus, i assume your getting a "H" icon to indicate HSDPA speed.

Based on my results i'm sure this suggests HSDPA, but don't get the icon shown?

Any ideas? Fault with the handset? Or are some others experiencing the same?

Guest Paxman's Tie

Just called t-mob again, having not received a call as promised within 3 days. Tech support quoted me the line about standard W'n'W accounts not having hsdpa after 17th Oct. I stressed that was not advertised at all & certainly wasn't mentioned to me before I signed up in store (on 18th Oct). Asked for hsdpa to be enabled. A lengthy wait later I was told it was not possible unless I upgraded. I suggested that since I signed up only a day after this new 'decision' was taken, and as a good will gesture to a new customer, hsdpa should be enabled. At this point my call was terminated...

Not a happy bunny. I'll try calling again later. Anyone got any other ideas in the meantime?

Guest tsutton
as a good will gesture to a new customer, hsdpa should be enabled. At this point my call was terminated...

Not a happy bunny. I'll try calling again later. Anyone got any other ideas in the meantime?

Log on to your account and see if it's listed or not. If it's listed, you dont need to call back. ;)

Guest Paxman's Tie
Log on to your account and see if it's listed or not. If it's listed, you dont need to call back. ;)

Problem is T-mob haven't sent my pin through yet so I can't log in to check!

Guest Paxman's Tie
Ahh, shame!

Just reset the phone to see if anything's changed but no. Suppose I'll just have to sit in a queue again & hope I get someone more receptive. Any idea of the T-Mob complaints procedure as I believe they've mis-sold me my contract. There's not a scrap on info about changes to W'n'W pakcages either in their magazine or online.

Guest Neil5459

If you signed up in-store, go back to the store and complain firmly that you were not advised of the full terms of the contract, and that the 'advertised service' on the phone's packaging, and the website needed a higher level of service contract.

Guest Paxman's Tie
If you signed up in-store, go back to the store and complain firmly that you were not advised of the full terms of the contract, and that the 'advertised service' on the phone's packaging, and the website needed a higher level of service contract.

Thanks. I'll make a trip to the store tomorrow morning: hopefully there'll be plenty of potential customers in there... Do you think the guys in-store will be able to alter anything though, as when I called tech the other day I was told the hsdpa option was greyed out. Maybe cancel my current contract & reinstate a new one with W'n'W

Anyway I'm presently giving tech support another chance to do the honourable thing.