TyTn II works on 3 Network

Guest FrankyG

Guest FrankyG

FYI -

I bought a 3 PAYG sim card last night and topped up with £10 credit. (got the SIM card Free in store)

Activated the SIM and the £10 Credit. Now for the testing :(

Once I soft reset the phone, the auto network configuration util kicked in and configured all settings for the 3 Network. One soft reset later, ready to go. Went online (on the phone) and checked my account balance - £10. Then I bought an internet add-on, £2.50 for a weeks unlimited access. (no doubt subject to FUP). other options were;

1 Days internet access: £0.50

1 Week internet access: £2.50

1 month internet access: £5.00

Video Call: Works, no problem as you would expect.

Internet Access: Browsing no problem. Could not access some of the 3 sites, got the message "please visit this site using a 3 handset" or something similar.

Streaming radio: Works, but not quite as stable as my T-mobile HSDPA connection. This was tested on my commute to work on an express train, so quite a demanding test I would think. I had to manually force Resco Radio to connect to the radio station when it lost the signal. normally my T-mobile connection is rock solid and will evern hang on to the signal 50 meters into a rail tunnel!! YMMV depending on where you live and signal strength.

Download Speeds: Measured from my office, on the phone using http://www.dslreports/mspeed.

T-Mobile      3 Network

909 Kb/s 196 Kb/s
890 Kb/s 808 Kb/s
918 Kb/s 906 Kb/s
900 Kb/s 1120 Kb/s
906 Kb/s 1072 Kb/s

Average T-Mobile:904 Kb/s
Average 3 Network:976 Kb/s (corrected)[/codebox]

[b]POP Mail[/b]: Works, no problem. Couldn't test Outgoing POP as I don't have 3's SMTP server. Anyone? Will find out and report back.

[b]Skype, MSN, Palringo etc:[/b] Will test this afternoon and report back. [b]Confirmed, all working.[/b]

[b]Internet Connection Sharing:[/b] Works, both using PAN and USB cable. Getting similar download speeds on the PC ~ 900 Kb/s download.

So far, so good ;) A fiver for a months unlimited access, can't say fairer than that!

I'll post my experiences with the 3 SIM over the next week here.

Now...where to find a dual sim holder for the TyTN II....

HTH

FrankyG

*EDIT* SKYPE, Palringo, MSN updated.

Does anyone have the SMTP server for 3?

Edited by FrankyG

Guest Subliminal Aura

Confirmed - I popped in a very old 3 sim in over lunchtime and got a wicked 3g signal, much stronger than orange.

Will try and get the £5 internet up and running when I get time.

Guest Flubster

the £5 internet access is 2gb maximum use

Add Internet Daily. For 50p you get a whole day's web surfing. There is a data limit of 120 MB which is roughly 3000 web pages! If you exceed this limit you will go back to being a Casual User at £1 per MB. But don't worry - we will send you an SMS as soon as this happens to warn you. If you purchased two Internet add-ons the second one will become active as soon as the first one has expired.

Add Internet Weekly. For £2.50, you get a whole week's web surfing, with a data limit of 500 MB

Add Internet Monthly. For £5.00, you get a whole month's web surfing, with a data limit of 2 GB

Use the vodafone tv trick to get planet3 working on your handset here

Everything else works for me and i've been using PAYG on 3 for about a fortnight

Flubster

(edit) links and source

Edited by Flubster

Excellent....im thinking of swithing from orange PAYG at the minute.

was going to go witheither t-mobiles web and walk ......o2's new web bolt on (7.50 per month)

but now ive seen this may go with 3....so the #5.00 month interent access is tis automaticallydeducted from your credit every month or do i have to txt to activate the service like with orange?

Thanks

Guest FrankyG
Excellent....im thinking of swithing from orange PAYG at the minute.

was going to go witheither t-mobiles web and walk ......o2's new web bolt on (7.50 per month)

but now ive seen this may go with 3....so the #5.00 month interent access is tis automaticallydeducted from your credit every month or do i have to txt to activate the service like with orange?

Thanks

No, it won't be deducted automatically. I had to go online and select which internet add-on I wanted. Then it's deducted from whatever credit you have in your account. You may also be able to text to activate the service, I don't know though. Definately worth getting a 3 PAYG sim to test it out.

HTH

FrankyG

• 4 months later...