Is this normal?

Guest hotphil

Guest hotphil

My V1615 is a lovely piece of kit. Except for one thing, the battery life. I've got it set up pretty much the same as the MDA Vario it's replacing, but the Vario hasn't needed charging all week but my V1615 seems to have about 6 hours battery life - not even lasting overnight without a charge. It's got DirectPush limited to 08:00-20:00 and two POP3 accounts being checked every 2 hours, WiFi, HSDPA and 3G disabled yet the battery life is abysmal. It just constantly seems to have an active data connection which I think is what's killing it. Is this a bug? Can I make it hang up inactive data connections somehow?

Guest Swampie
My V1615 is a lovely piece of kit. Except for one thing, the battery life. I've got it set up pretty much the same as the MDA Vario it's replacing, but the Vario hasn't needed charging all week but my V1615 seems to have about 6 hours battery life - not even lasting overnight without a charge. It's got DirectPush limited to 08:00-20:00 and two POP3 accounts being checked every 2 hours, WiFi, HSDPA and 3G disabled yet the battery life is abysmal. It just constantly seems to have an active data connection which I think is what's killing it. Is this a bug? Can I make it hang up inactive data connections somehow?

I have a Vario III and have Direct Push enabled for 8 to 6pm M-F, every 4 hours outside of those times and POP3 every 2 hours (note though that I do not believe it actually checks POP3 every 2 hours whilst in standby - see other people's details of this bug). The phone is connected via USB most of the day, so by 5:30pm is usually fully charged. I'll often charge it in the evening, just before bed as I often do some browsing etc during the evening which sucks p the battery a bit more - so when I go to bed it's usually fully charged. On a good morning, by 7am it's usually down to 93%, sometimes in the 80's. For example, my phone now (9:30am) which was fully charged at 11pm last night, and used for some browsing (15 mins over WiFi) early this morning is now on 85%.

I keep the phone mostly on HTC Home's 2nd backlight level, so probably 25% brightness.

I've not yet tried running it without topping it up in the evening as it's not inconvenient for me to do this - and at first I was browsing so much that battery life was pants. For me though, I'm at my laptop all day so syncing and charging it during the day isn't an issue for me.

Update: at 10:30am, an hour later, I'm now at 84% after it sitting on the desk for the last hour with display off.

Update: at 11:30am, another hour later, I'm at 81%, no use other than it just waking up to inform me of new emails.

Edited by Swampie

Same here, the battery life sucks, 3G is disabled, Im connected 24 hours via gprs to an exchange server for direct push, no chance to use the device a whole day, my HTC Trinity use after a night about 1-2% charge, my Kaiser nearly 10% with the same configuration

Guest knonist
Same here, the battery life sucks, 3G is disabled, Im connected 24 hours via gprs to an exchange server for direct push, no chance to use the device a whole day, my HTC Trinity use after a night about 1-2% charge, my Kaiser nearly 10% with the same configuration

Are there any programs abilable to disable GPRS and 3G?

Guest hotphil

There's another thread around that includes a link to a replacement Comm Manager that'll disable 3G with one touch. Note that I don't think you can uninstall it if you later want rid.

The good news is that my battery life seems to have settled down for the better now. Disabling HSDPA seems to have made a big difference - nice to have, but really how often do I *need* it? And it did seem to constantly sit and flit between HSDPA and 3G (even though I'm in the centre of a large city). I guess not fiddling with the V1615 quite so much and a few charge/discharge cycles has bedded it in properly. I also suspect/know that when the phone got delivered the IT guys had a play with it and I daresay didn't wait for that initial full charge... (Li-ion or not, I've always found that a good first full charge is a good thing!).

Guest Swampie
And it did seem to constantly sit and flit between HSDPA and 3G (even though I'm in the centre of a large city).

The H with 2 arrows is only displayed during HSDPA downloads, when you're connected but not downloading it displays 3G with 2 arrows. That might explain the changing of icons.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Glyn Pe

Hum, we have 4 V1615's and battery life is unpredictable. Overnight it can go flat when fully charged night before or still be 90% in the morning. This feels like a software issue not bad batteries.

Guest jimbouk

Firstly directpush or even polling pop accounts whilst asleep is mad.

Personally I turn my device off overnight - but when I need it as an alarm clock (ie when away) I turn direct push off when I go to bed and manually turn off email polling.

As long as you turn off all the background apps that use radio/data then the device will last for a couple of days on a charge (and use no more than say 10% overnight).

BUT if you use it intensively on 3G or wifi it can drain within a couple of hours.

Firstly directpush or even polling pop accounts whilst asleep is mad.

Why? I plug my device in every night to charge. I don't understand people who don't. Takes less effort than turning off directpush doesn't it?

Unlimited of data, so no problems there.

Guest hotphil

Mine goes into a cradle most nights. But if I've been naughty and have to sleep in the attic, I just put it in Airplane mode - it's not going to suck battery and the alarm still goes off. I've looked at the various profile changers that are around, but tbh I don't think I can be bothered with all the setting up.

Guest squiggs1982
Mine goes into a cradle most nights. But if I've been naughty and have to sleep in the attic, I just put it in Airplane mode - it's not going to suck battery and the alarm still goes off. I've looked at the various profile changers that are around, but tbh I don't think I can be bothered with all the setting up.

My Kaiser is on and connected to push exchange 24/7. I tend to charge each night, overnight, but often have occasion to not do this.

If I take off charge at 7.30am, the device will usually last until around 7pm the following day with exchange push always on, some light browsing and a few short calls and texts here and there. It's also a 3G HSDPA connection I'm using.