Kaiser unlock now available from imei-check

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Shuflie

Just sent off my file in a PM to you Paul. I'm probably too late to get into the first 10 though, if I'm too late I'll not bother with the 10% discount as I'm a tmobile customer so can get the phone unlocked for less through them if and when I actually need to.

Guest deadphill
Oh come on, Paul. You can't be serious! This is very relevant! And you thought it was relevant when you weren't just informing people there wasn't going to be an unlock solution for the Kaiser from imei-check but also posted florin's rant (which it was) and later on a link to PoF's reply. Not to mention the fact that the topic generated 166 posts in just 36 hours before it was closed. I was sympathetic to the decision to close it since it wasn't about florin or pof anymore, but about you not being fair to both sides of the story when you posted on the news page. And I don't think this topic should go the same way (let's hope mysterious stranger doesn't find this topic ;) ), but I can't see how anyone who has followed this story can't see the relevance of it for this topic. I really don't believe that you don't get what I mean. If you say that it's only relevant to tell people that there's a solution and give no background, than according to that rule you shouldn't have mentioned why imeicheck initially refused to do kaiser unlocks. Denying that would in my opinion again jeopardize your reputation as impartial bringer of the news.

So from what you are saying, if I see a car advert, and I might want to buy one, that the company I want to buy it from has to tell me the entire history of the motorcar because its in someway relevant. I mean I might need to see what ford had to say about vauxhall ripping off its wheel design :-)

So far I can see that Paul cannot see any relevance, and to be honest I'm strugging. Even if there was some relevance, you yourself in your post have indeed included as much of a link to it as is IMHO is needed. I don't think that that whole can of worms needs opening again.

This is about there now being an unlock for the kaiser and paul telling everyone about it. Oh and as MODACO has ties to IMEI-CHECK then they have included 10 free unlocks as part of this.

END OF.

Thanks

Phill

Edited by deadphill

Guest Driekus
So from what you are saying, if I see a car advert, and I might want to buy one, that the company I want to buy it from has to tell me the entire history of the motorcar because its in someway relevant. I mean I might need to see what ford had to say about vauxhall ripping off its wheel design :-)

So far I can see that Paul cannot see any relevance, and to be honest I'm strugging. Even if there was some relevance, you yourself in your post have indeed included as much of a link to it as is IMHO is needed. I don't think that that whole can of worms needs opening again.

This is about there now being an unlock for the kaiser and paul telling everyone about it. Oh and as MODACO has ties to IMEI-CHECK then they have included 10 free unlocks as part of this.

END OF.

Thanks

Phill

Okay, I'm going to reply one last time in this thread to this, and if afterwards someone wants to continue this discussion I'll welcome them to open a new thread in the lounge (I'll be back on monday). A big part of the discussion in the mentioned thread was about Paul's biased or unbiased news report about the row between florin and pof. There even was a poll attached to it. My problem with leaving this bit of info out of the story is because it was posted as news, and this way it read like an advert (as Phill also considers it as he states above, although he missed my point). Advertisement disguised as news equals spam in my book. I really don't see why it wasn't posted in the first post, besides the uneasy feeling it having to do something with florin/imeicheck not really liking the subject. I think it would have been wise of Paul to sidestep that by just mentioning it in the first post, like it probably would have been wise (in hindsight) to handle the first post of the infamous florin vs pof thread differently. That would have saved a lot of - admittedly very interesting - discussion.

Have a nice weekend everyone,

D

Edited by Driekus

Guest tsutton
Advertisement disguised as news equals spam in my book.

I do not see it as advert... I see it as a info post for the Plus membership benefits, so I found it very useful.

Jeez, there's a real lack of appreciation developing around here.

It's news, it was reported as so and I see no problem with it being independant from previous arguments, er... I mean discussions. We even get an uneeded, hence brief, explanation but there's still people digging up bygones...

Without wanting to resurrect that whole discussion again, it seems to me that imei-check have found a way where they retrieve a device dump and then actually do the funky stuff back at base, thereby protecting their IP, as opposed to the old way where the unlock actually happened on the handset.

I am interested in an answer to DJ's question though, are T not playing ball?

Why would I pay these guys £20 to do something T-Mobile themselves will do for £15?

I don't get it.

DJ

Cheers for the heads-up P.

Guest Shuflie
I do not see it as advert... I see it as a info post for the Plus membership benefits, so I found it very useful.

I'd actually see it as a news article with the added benefit of making it easy for plus subscribers to notice what a great offer they could take advantage of. An operator independent unlock of a phone as new and popular as the kaiser is pretty big news in my opinion (although a free unlock solution for all would be even bigger). I imagine the ebay price for locked Vario IIIs, Tilts and Orange TyTN IIs is going to rise pretty sharply now. If it was advertising in any way Paul would have probably added that you could join plus at the same time as sending your file instead of just telling current Plus subscribers with Kaisers to get on the ball.

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Give it up all, no one will listen.

Its obvious that no news gets posted on modaco unless it benefits Paul.

Ooh I know, lets make a top 10 software list, post it as news (Despite it being far more "Lounge"ish than the Pof v Florin debate), AND GUESS WHAT: All my choices are free with Plus!

Amazing.

Its getting boring now. The only hope for modaco, is that enough people realise what is happening, and Paul wakes up and starts acting how he used to act.

Guest mcwarre
Give it up all, no one will listen.

Its obvious that no news gets posted on modaco unless it benefits Paul.

Ooh I know, lets make a top 10 software list, post it as news (Despite it being far more "Lounge"ish than the Pof v Florin debate), AND GUESS WHAT: All my choices are free with Plus!

Amazing.

Its getting boring now. The only hope for modaco, is that enough people realise what is happening, and Paul wakes up and starts acting how he used to act.

Ouch. Mark, how's the warning bit going on your profile? Can we have before and after shots????? ;) :(

Are you serious?

This is exactly why I never make myself a part of an online community. People use the guise of their "opinion" to blatantly make things up! Out of the ten (very useful items), that Paul posted, only 4 of them are free on Plus. Less. Than. Half. If you didn't join Plus then you'd be paying for those programs!!! If you do join Plus then you get a lot more benefits than just those 4.

I'll repeat it:

Jeez, there's a real lack of appreciation developing around here.

To quote numbers again and hopefully enlighten a few people to your crock of sh*t post (MARKUKCOUK, caps lock key broken?), out of the 15 news items on the front page there is one that promotes his Plus service, and as far as I can see that's the only one that will 'benefit' him (if you could call it that!? That's another issue though). I'm not sure how the M:Metrics post benefits him but I'm guessing he gets a cut for all that advertising, but you know what? They send me cheques, real free money for nothing cheques, so I'm happy with that. Lets cancel one of those out with the S730 "Ask Paul" thread as that's him offering us his time and expertise for free and that leaves us 12 very useful news posts.

Amazing.

I don't know how Modaco will ever survive if Paul doesn't wake up to your reality. /sarcasm

Sigh.

Edited by Madeye

I don’t understand the negative attitude regarding this promotion?

This is a thread regarding the unlock promotion and that’s it.. right!

To me it just seems like all the negative comments are from those people who (may or may not) expect everything on the internet to be free (by whatever means).

Now i understand why people got a little riled by the original 'it’s my ball and I am going home' comments by IMEI-Check. But come on! If it was (or you thought) your hard work being ripped off by someone else then I any many others would have the exact same response.

To quote madeye:-

'Jeez, there's a real lack of appreciation developing around here.'

Anyway, play nice! and enjoy the plus benefits ;)

P.S. I don’t have a Kaiser to unlock and I am jealous! And i am going to have another beer...

Guest tsutton
I am interested in an answer to DJ's question though, are T not playing ball?

While I have never used T-Mobile's unlocking service, from what I read here and other forums, T-Moble will unlock it within 15 days, which is a long wait, so if you can't wait, then the IMEI-Check service is quicker. Otherwise, you wait until you get it unlocked from T-Mobile.

So, you do really have a choice to pick.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Ouch. Mark, how's the warning bit going on your profile? Can we have before and after shots????? ;) :(

Weirdly, its on 0%. Then again, I'm not a referal program, so Paul can't make money from warning me, so I guess hes busy looking for other ways to flog the modaco cash cow*. Shame.

*yes yes, I know, no one ever makes money on the net, etc etc, goodness of his heart, etc etc. Honestly, if you ban me, at least itll stop me posting when I get annoyed at the next snippit of non-news posted with free added advertisement crowbarred in.

BTW: FYI, I believe this is news, but posted in the usual "florin is god" way, just like the Pof/florin/toys/pram stuff.

Guest Shuflie
Weirdly, its on 0%. Then again, I'm not a referal program, so Paul can't make money from warning me, so I guess hes busy looking for other ways to flog the modaco cash cow*. Shame.

*yes yes, I know, no one ever makes money on the net, etc etc, goodness of his heart, etc etc. Honestly, if you ban me, at least itll stop me posting when I get annoyed at the next snippit of non-news posted with free added advertisement crowbarred in.

BTW: FYI, I believe this is news, but posted in the usual "florin is god" way, just like the Pof/florin/toys/pram stuff.

Mark, you've been around modaco long enough to know it provides a valuable service, as it has grown do you think that Paul could have continued to provide this service and held down a full time job at the same. Its only natural that something had to give, and thanks to advertising revenues and things like plus subscriptions Paul was able to devote all his time to MoDaCo and still feed his family (and gadget addiction). To call MoDaCo a cash cow is just stupid, its a profitable business but it requires lot of time and energy to stay that way. If you think it should be completely free perhaps you could come up with a way that Paul could pay for the servers, buy (and I do mean buy, he doesn't get all of them sent to him as freebies) devices to review and find the time to do it all while he's holding down a full time job? As for the whole "Florin is god" thing did you actually read the original post made when Florin announced that he wasn't going to be releasing a Kaiser unlock because of pof? Here's the important bit:

Of course we only have one side of the story, but if there IS IP from imei-check's commercial developments in the 'free solutions', then that's not on. I'll see if I can get a response from pof @ xda-developers on the issue!

Not only did he point out that we only had Florin's word for this, he also tried to get pof's side of things too. The fact that pof was unreachable at the time (check out pof's first post in the rebuttal link) shouldn't and didn't delay the posting of the news item, and again that was an actual news item not a one sided advert for Florin. If anything it probably did Florin more harm than good as anyone waiting for a third party unlock would have been pretty peeved to know that one was ready but just not being made available to them. I do think Florin should rethink his strategy for unlock pricing, at the very least he should be checking out what the operators charge for unlocking and trying to undercut them.

Guest Rabbit Rocks

The only think i do find a shame is that free unlocks are never posted in news on modaco , news on a whole here is bad the others coolsmartphone or msmobiles had more news than here which is a shame , modaco should report on all types of unlocks both the imei-check ones and the free ones , but if you want the free method you know where to look . i still wonder why people buy a new phone with a contract say for orange only to put a t-mobile sim in it why not get the t-mob version or htc one and use your new sim and after a year the unlock is free as well , this new lock though sounds like hacking to me , as you get the real unlock code ( which the network provider would give you ) so florins way hacks the providers own system thus piracy in a way..

Edited by Rabbit Rocks

Guest Shuflie
The only think i do find a shame is that free unlocks are never posted in news on modaco , news on a whole here is bad the others coolsmartphone or msmobiles had more news than here which is a shame , modaco should report on all types of unlocks both the imei-check ones and the free ones , but if you want the free method you know where to look . i still wonder why people buy a new phone with a contract say for orange only to put a t-mobile sim in it why not get the t-mob version or htc one and use your new sim and after a year the unlock is free as well , this new lock though sounds like hacking to me , as you get the real unlock code ( which the network provider would give you ) so florins way hacks the providers own system thus piracy in a way..

I think you'll find that that just isn't true

http://www.modaco.com/content/forum/241180...available-FREE/

That's just one that I got posted last year when it first appeared. There are probably others but I,like you, just can't be bothered to search for them. If there is something out there that you think is newsworthy, but hasn't made the front page, you are free use the "tipoff" link in the welcome box.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Thought you weren't coming back Mark!

That's my top 10 software list, regardless of where the apps come from. I think it's pretty clear when you look at that list of apps that they're going to be the kind of apps I use. Have you considered that I try and get all my favourite - and the best apps - as Plus benefits?

Finally, and again my last post on the subject because I have no interest in being drawn into the SAME discussion again, how exactly does posting about a SIM unlock and giving away 10 unlocks benefit me in any way, shape or form?

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.