Free Maporama Drive Me 7 day trial, and bargain downloadable purchase!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jim.mason
Dipstick here was putting that code into activate.maporama.com!!! All sorted now. Strange how very TT it is though ;)

I'm off to Chester and then Beenham (Reading) next week (from Norwich) so will report back assuming it doesn't take me beyond civilisation, gprs and wifi access that is :(

Guest mcwarre
I'm off to Chester and then Beenham (Reading) next week (from Norwich) so will report back assuming it doesn't take me beyond civilisation, gprs and wifi access that is ;)

You are going to Norwich so it will do, I am afraid........................

Hi, Paul!!!!!!

Guest spenh01
The site comes up with an Alert 550 CWT failed blah when trying to download the map (software downloads ok). Any ideas???

use the link submitted by phill lee on page one

Guest spenh01

well i've downloaded and installed it on both my m500 & m600 with no probs at all (thanks phill for the link to the map download) and just been out for a test run, a 30 mile roundtrip ;)

and i must say first impressions are very good indeed!!

i found the voice prompts to be louder and clearer than tt6 (and more imformative)

map detail is good and the night colour scheme is superb.

runs faster too

also the maps are more upto date than my tt6 ones which i purchaed off the tom tom website about six months a go.

i went off on a round trip from my house to lichfield and back which if i had done with tom tom navigator would have tried to send me down an unused single track country lane which has been closed for over 5 years and then down the old a5 because tt doesn't know they have built a new bypass (12 months ago) between tamworth and the m6 toll. to my surprise maporama ignored the lane and even took me down the newish bypass. i'm off to stoke next week and over to kings lynn down the a47, two places where tt's maps are out of date, so i'll be giving it a good going over.

Maporama might not have all the bells ad whistles that tom tom has but it seems easy to use and most importantly the maps seem more upto date!!! and a bargain for the price :(

i cant believe this is £27!!!!!!!!!!

I use TomTom, iGo and Memory Map... but hey! i may have to purchace another!

going to need a bigger card now.... ;)

Guest jim.mason
You are going to Norwich so it will do, I am afraid........................

Hi, Paul!!!!!!

Ha-Ha, very funny. But remember - without our Colemans Mustard your sausages are nothing!! ;) :(

Guest mcwarre
Ha-Ha, very funny. But remember - without our Colemans Mustard your sausages are nothing!! ;) :(

Says me who lives in the metropolis that is Lincoln!!! You have the mustard we have Lincolnshire Sausages. A match made in heaven..............

Guest ptwilliams

Stop me if im being ultra stupid here, but

I've downloaded this to my SPV E650, but whenever I try and enter information such as a postcode, numbers appear instead of the letters.

What am I doing wrong?!

Guest mcwarre

Been using this all day; must say that out of all the nav software I have tried (TT6, Mapopolis, Destinator 6, Route 66) it is second only to TT6 (features only). When you put in the price then, arguably, there is one winner. All I need to do is sort out what type of PGPSW speed cameras it uses and if it had traffic it would be perfect. To put it in perspective, my renewal of TT traffic for a year was £30. This product is a whole English Pint's worth less than that!!!! I cannot recommend it enough.

Guest mcwarre

I've downloaded this to my SPV E650, but whenever I try and enter information such as a postcode, numbers appear instead of the letters.

What am I doing wrong?!

Postcode search is rather limited. Do uou have 123 instead of ABC on the keyboard selected????

Guest ptwilliams
Postcode search is rather limited. Do uou have 123 instead of ABC on the keyboard selected????

Not that I can see. Whats odd, is when I open the keypad, and use those, the letters which dont have numbers on them, work fine, but the keys with numbers on, will only appear as numbers, no matter what combination you press.

Confusing!

What am I doing wrong?!

Hi, I thought it was for PPC only, is that what you downloaded to your E650?

Well, tried it on E650, seems to work OK for settings etc. but you cannot enter the Trial code as you can only select numbers not letters. What a shame as the interface looks good. ;)

Guest spenh01

after using this program for a couple of days and been very pleased with it (apart from the lack of post codes!) i decided to go ahead and pay my £27 and buy it from maporama's online shop.

the version they are offering for £27 and the one i downloaded is the old version not the 2008 version you can download a trial of. so i uninstalled that and reinstalled the 2008 version. one thing i did notice in the earlier version is a full post code search, the ability to uninstall it through the remove programs and icons and shortcuts in the program menu.

so after reinstalling the 2008 version i tried to activate it with the codes provided to me when i purchased it and it just comes up invalid codes. i then reinstalled the ealier version and activated it no problem!

so if you are thinking of buying it, be carefull you will end up with the earlier version!!!

i've emailed maporama to find out why i got the earlier version, just hope they arn't like tom tom support i might be waiting a very long time

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yes, it's PPC only. Sygic have a SP version, so hopefully Maporama will become SP too.

I used it a bit today, and was impressed with the routing and maps. I went to a street with it today that wasn't on my car nav, TomTom or iGo - it's worth keeping on for that alone :( The voice prompts did go a bit odd at points (minor stutter), but nothing terrible. I think, at the price, a real bargain... and i'm sure they'll keep updating and improving ;)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
after using this program for a couple of days and been very pleased with it (apart from the lack of post codes!) i decided to go ahead and pay my £27 and buy it from maporama's online shop.

the version they are offering for £27 and the one i downloaded is the old version not the 2008 version you can download a trial of. so i uninstalled that and reinstalled the 2008 version. one thing i did notice in the earlier version is a full post code search, the ability to uninstall it through the remove programs and icons and shortcuts in the program menu.

so after reinstalling the 2008 version i tried to activate it with the codes provided to me when i purchased it and it just comes up invalid codes. i then reinstalled the ealier version and activated it no problem!

so if you are thinking of buying it, be carefull you will end up with the earlier version!!!

i've emailed maporama to find out why i got the earlier version, just hope they arn't like tom tom support i might be waiting a very long time

Eek, that's definitely not good!

Let us know how you get on, and i'll update the first post!

P

Guest Ghost_1

I've read through the post and looked at the site yet I do not see a mention of USA maps. Maybe it's lack of sleep but does anyone have any info. I'm looking for something other then TT6 thanks!

Guest mwright
I don't think the installation process is the best I've ever come across.

I would agree there!

Does anyone know how to UNinstall it?

The reading of road numbers confused me a bit. "Turn right onto the B one thousand, two hundred and thirty five" sounds a bit strange.

ALso, I have as yet failed to make it keep the backlight and screen on!

I also failed to get it to play with GPSgate - everything else seems OK with that

Edited by mwright

Guest emyllis

Having used this today, I have some general comments, nothing amazing or innovative, but just my experiences...

Pros

You can log the GPS info then examine it. I've done it once today and don't know how to analyse it but it looks a useful feature!

Great colour scheme with normal or night time colours

The little scroll bar lets you zoom in and out of the map quickly.

The voices are really clear

It gives some pretty cool routes involving little back routes which avoid traffic lights etc.

Cons

The instructions are a bit odd - they just say "turn left" but you need to turn left in 2 miles! It doesn't give a distance of the turning...

It says "keep on the road for 4 miles" or whatever, but if the distance is under 1 mile, it doesn't say anything, which is really annoying if you're trying to go through a rabbit warren and you don't know when to turn left or right.

It switches the screen off automatically after 2 mins. Tomtom doesn't do this.

It names your roads in an odd way - "turn onto the b 1 thousand six" or turn right on the b one thousand, three hundred nine". Useful but odd!

Every load up I have to go through a disclaimer about using this software....

Overall, its' good...

Could we buy this at a discount/get it as a mega plus deal?!

And does cameraware work alongside this?!

Guest Gorskar

I've given it a go, and it seems pretty decent (especially for the price!)

Shame it doesn't seem to support full 7 digit postcode search.

1 problem I noticed was the "Yes" and "No" button functionality was reversed (eg it asks "are you sure you want to delete this favourite?" and pressing "no " deletes it, and yes cancels! This is easily fixed by editing the English.lang file in a text editor though.

Has anyone managed to get it to load the PGPSW speed camera database? I tried using the POI Loader from Garmin ( http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927 ) as it says it supports Windows mobile devices with Garmin Mobile XT, and this is essentially the same, but it kept saying no device found!

Guest Paul (MVP)

This isn't Mobile XT!

I have a POI Loader, i'll have to ask them re: distribution tho.

BTW, backlight stayed on on my device - have you set that option?

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.