Firmware Upgrades for HTC Touch on Orange

Guest stealth1701

Guest stealth1701

Hi

can anyone tell me if it is possible to get firmware upgrades for the HTC Touch phones on Orange UK. I believe there is a new screen keyboard out for the HTC touch but when I registered my phone with the HTC site it tells me that my phone is not an HTC branded device (presumeably because orange has blocked it somehow) - hence no firmware upgrades show up on the HTC site for me. Is there a way to get these firmware upgrades elsewhere or a way to remove the 'block' so I can register my phone with HTC.

I have seen software on EBAY for unlocking HTC Touch phones on UK Orange - does anyone know if unlocking the phone from the orange network will allow you to register it with HTC and then download any new firmware or is unlocking and unblocking different?

Any advice on this is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Guest jimbouk

You won't be able to "unblock" the serial number to enable registering with HTC. Your device's serial number is not on HTC's database as Orange customise the rom for their devices - so they act as an OEM.

You will however be able to find software for your device elsewhere...

Guest stealth1701
You won't be able to "unblock" the serial number to enable registering with HTC. Your device's serial number is not on HTC's database as Orange customise the rom for their devices - so they act as an OEM.

You will however be able to find software for your device elsewhere...

Thanks for your response jimbouk. Do you know if it is possible then to update the ROM? I thought I had seen posts elsewhere about this but can't seem to find them any more. It makes me mad that Orange would do this and exclude users from phone enhancing updates released by the manufacturer. I will think twice about getting a phone from Orange in the future!!! I have been with Vodafone and O2 in the past and both of these carriers allow you you update the phones firmware from the manufacturers site ;)

Edited by stealth1701

Guest edhibbert

Hiya,

apparently the new fat-fingered keyboard will be posted on the HTC site by the end of the month, available initially only to those registered directly with HTC but then "will be made available to Orange customers" (info via xda-developers, so potentially all lies).

Orange always takes forever to approve new ROMs so the keyboard should be available as a single cab.

I guess that HTC were delaying until the Touch Dual came out?

Guest jimbouk

Should one really castigate O for testing that rom updates etc work on their network/devices before releasing them?

I don't think O have been slow or reticent to release rom updates for WM devices. The M3100 has had two rom updates in the last year.

Guest Rabbit Rocks

This applys to all network operators not just orange , if you buy a t-mobile , vodafone or o2 version of a htc phone you cant register either , the htc site is ONLY for original htc phones , so i guess if you want access to their site you will have to get an original htc version phone and not a network supplied version ;)

Do any of you guys and gals know how to remove the security restriction on the HTC Touch, I recently bought this phone from Orange in the UK, and for the life og me can't work out how to install anything! I keep getting this is not a valid pocket pc application error message on everything I try to install.

I had a HTC Tytn before but this is something else.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Disco Stu

Welcome to the forum :(

The error message suggests that you are trying to install Smartphone versions of software rather than Pocket PC.

Otherwise have you tried the official Orange software unlocker ?

http://spvunlock.rd.francetelecom.com/

Although the Touch / Dual aren't branded as SPVs I'd be interested to know if this method works as mine comes tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum :(

The error message suggests that you are trying to install Smartphone versions of software rather than Pocket PC.

Otherwise have you tried the official Orange software unlocker ?

http://spvunlock.rd.francetelecom.com/

Although the Touch / Dual aren't branded as SPVs I'd be interested to know if this method works as mine comes tomorrow.

i just want to know if my Phone dialler application on my Orange Dual is from HTC or Orange. I can no longer press the down key and get my speedials; i have to go through a menu to get them (defeats the purpose of Speedial). i know the cube is there but i need about 15 speedials-i wish they would add another side to that cube for more speedials!mad.gif

• 4 months later...