HTC Shift, S730 and Dual reviewed at CoolSmartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
coolsmartphone.jpg
Our S730 review is in progress, and our Shift and Dual review units are yet to arrive, however Gears at CoolSmartphone has managed to get his initial reviews of all 3 devices online, courtesy of devicewire ;) Unfortunately it looks like his Polaris pics have been removed, likely due to the fact HTC are yet to officially announce the device.

Sadly it looks like Gears' S730 is exhibiting the same poor GPS performance as mine - which IMHO could point to a lack of GPS antenna in production hardware - but only time will tell, as our devices are both not-quite-production ROMs.

S730 review / Shift review / Dual review

Enjoy!

P

PS What's your favourite?

Guest paholman
Sadly it looks like Gears' S730 is exhibiting the same poor GPS performance as mine - which IMHO could point to a lack of GPS antenna in production hardware - but only time will tell, as our devices are both not-quite-production ROMs.

Paul

All these GPS rumours are getting quite boring, when no-one from HTC will officially put a stop to them and give us the answer to the question all us potential buyers want to know.

Why put GPS hardware in the device, let reviewers play with it, and still do not officially announce whether this device will have it or not?

Didn't they do the same with Wifi on the Dual? They surely should regret that one

This has the potential to be the mini-Kaiser, and a best seller.

This is all so hush-hush, and very frustrating.

Can anyone from HTC answer this question? Are the pre-prod units faulty and the device won't be released until GPS is fixed, or are they still pondering on whether to remove GPS and release it to the market as advertised?

Edited by paholman

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have had an official line from HTC, and it's that 'the chipset supports GPS, but we're not supporting it'. Until the first retail units are in, I don't think we're gonna know!

P

Thanks, but what we would like to know is why they are not supporting it as it is what everyone wants and is it going to be possible to mod it so that it does work. I'm not sure if it is enough of an upgrade without it ;)

Guest Monolithix

My thoughts exactly. Its a fantastic device, but who are the intended audience? Road warriors maybe or, personally, i see it as a perfect student device. Bit outside of a student budget though!

[

Hi Paul How are you?

I am going to purchase the S730 ..

Will be a possibility to hack the phone (like S620 etc) in order to unlock for Applications,Registry Hacks, Menu changes,Folder moving etc?

Edited by gesam

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.