No TomTom from Orange

Guest samjam

I just got 5 TytnII from Orange, all WITHOUT TomTom taster!

http://www.htc.com/press_room/03-press-070828.htm

http://www.ifa-show.com/0208/divephotoguid...one/htc-tytn-2/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/28/htc_launches_tytn_2/

All lead me to expect it.

Chapter 13 of the user guide vaguely mentions GPS software, but nothing specific.

Nothing on the 2 CD's.

What have they done?

Yeah, I can find a CAB file with it on one of the internets, but am I "licensed"? I'm about to splash out on some maps, but it will be a waste if I then have to go out and buy 5 copies of TomTom Navigator 6 afterwards.

I just spoke to someone at Orange who went to talk to Data Services and told me that yes it was advertised with it but Orange took it off and put their own "Webraska" (kack) on (which I can't find either and don't want anyway). The nice person said that I would be licensed to put TomTom back as Orange had taken it off, but that I might have to go to HTC to get it.

*cough*

I guess I'll take her word and use the CAB I found.

Huzzah!

Edited by samjam

Guest Neil5459
I just got 5 TytnII from Orange, all WITHOUT TomTom taster!

Yeah, I can find a CAB file with it on one of the internets, but am I "licensed"? I'm about to splash out on some maps, but it will be a waste if I then have to go out and buy 5 copies of TomTom Navigator 6 afterwards.

I just spoke to someone at Orange who went to talk to Data Services and told me that yes it was advertised with it but Orange took it off and put their own "Webraska" (kack) on (which I can't find either and don't want anyway). The nice person said that I would be licensed to put TomTom back as Orange had taken it off, but that I might have to go to HTC to get it.

*cough*

I guess I'll take her word and use the CAB I found.

Huzzah!

TomTom licenses are linked to the Map not to the operating software. You don't need to 'buy' the TTN6 basic software as it will come with the map; if you use the download maps option, you can access the TTN6 software from their website and install it via TomTom Home.

I presume you are aware that the Map license if linked to a slecific device? If you want to use TTN of 5 devices, you will need 5 Map purchases.

The Orange/Webraska offering is pants, and will cost you in data charges as map screen are downloaded via GPRS.

Guest jimbouk

Actually the Orange Sat Nav solution is pretty damned good if you are on an umlimited plan- it comes free with the device, it is server based and thus constantly updated.

Guest hotphil

I think it's a good principal, but it can still only be updated as the mapping companies supply updated data - not sure how 'constantly' they supply updates...

TomTom licenses are linked to the Map not to the operating software. You don't need to 'buy' the TTN6 basic software as it will come with the map; if you use the download maps option, you can access the TTN6 software from their website and install it via TomTom Home.

Thanks, thats good to know. (and something to boot especially into windows for)

I presume you are aware that the Map license if linked to a slecific device? If you want to use TTN of 5 devices, you will need 5 Map purchases.

yeah, thats fine.

Sam

Guest jimbouk
I think it's a good principal, but it can still only be updated as the mapping companies supply updated data - not sure how 'constantly' they supply updates...

I am going to guess that "online" satnav users will be seeing more updates (for free) than users of purchased maps.

Guest Neil5459
Actually the Orange Sat Nav solution is pretty damned good if you are on an umlimited plan- it comes free with the device, it is server based and thus constantly updated.

Ah- maybe its been updated since I used it last in February ;)

As I'm still on the £8/30MB plan, I'll give it a miss still!

Guest Subliminal Aura

I didn't see it installed is it on a CD somewhere ?

The only thing I took out of the box was the tytn II, the battery and that was it.

I picked up my TyTN 2 this weekend and your right, there is no TomTom on either disks... Nevermind, I have a free copy of the TelMap Software coming to me anyway.