MDA Vario III Question...

In Start-Settings-System there is an item called "Encryption" which when clicked briefly displays a screen with "Encryption" at the top, which then disappears.

The manual describes this as a setting to enable files on the storage card to be read only on the Vario III, but there doesn't appear to be anything else written about it. I can see no option to encrypt files within File Explorer either.

Does this happen on anyone else's Vario III and does the setting actually do anything?

The same happens when clicking Start-Settings-Connections-USB to PC - the title is briefly displayed then disappears.

Guest hotphil

In my V1615 I get an explanatory dialog about how I can, if I wish, encrypt all data on the storage card so only that device can read it. Not something I want to do. Wonder if there's a problem with your phone or if it's something T-Mobile related...

Guest jimbouk

Sounds like your device is playing up - either you have too many "left" open and its running out of memory... or an installed app is playing up.... or your rom has an issue.

First step, soft reset, then try one of those again before doing anything else. If it works, then you knwo you are leaving too many apps open in task manager.

Second Step: uninstall any third party apps that may be muchking your device up

Third Step, if above doesnt work, Hard reset, but you will have to re set your device up and will lose your data (unless its synced)

Sounds like your device is playing up - either you have too many "left" open and its running out of memory... or an installed app is playing up.... or your rom has an issue.

First step, soft reset, then try one of those again before doing anything else. If it works, then you knwo you are leaving too many apps open in task manager.

Second Step: uninstall any third party apps that may be muchking your device up

Third Step, if above doesnt work, Hard reset, but you will have to re set your device up and will lose your data (unless its synced)

jimbouk, have you got the Vario III yourself? I'm an experienced user and only had the phone a week - got many third party applications installed, including WisBar, and never leave running applications open.

I'm reluctant to do a hrad reset at this early stage as everything else seems to be running perfectly otherwise. Can any Vario III owners confirm whether or not these work on their device?

Guest jimbouk

I don't have a V3. I have an O Tytn2... and both those apps work fine. I cannot imagine T removing either of them (or half-removing them and leaving the icons), especially the USB-to-PC option.

Unless someone comes along and tells me that T did a half assed job of removing them, I am gonna stick with another app has mucked up your registry. Did you try the soft reset and then trying them before doing anything else?

I don't have a V3. I have an O Tytn2... and both those apps work fine. I cannot imagine T removing either of them (or half-removing them and leaving the icons), especially the USB-to-PC option.

Unless someone comes along and tells me that T did a half assed job of removing them, I am gonna stick with another app has mucked up your registry. Did you try the soft reset and then trying them before doing anything else?

Thanks again for the reply jimbouk,

I have found the program that is causing the problem...WisBar Advance 3. When exiting the program both these settings shortcuts work fine.

Out of interest I checked my Hermes (M3100) running WisBar Advance 2 and noticed the same problem with the USB to PC setting.

Will notify Chris McKay at Lakeridge about this.