My AMD computer is blocked by AVS during video conversion

Guest p.e.t.e.r

Guest p.e.t.e.r

I have purchased a Sony mini dv second hand video camera, unfortunately i didn't know that i will also need additional software for it. However, I could manage the situation but only up to a point. The movie it outputs is very large and from here lots of problems to handle or save to DVD appeared. I got an advice to convert to mpg video format and, after searching, I have downloaded and installed a programme for video conversion AVS. Although my computer is not a last generation one, it seems to be compatible, the AVS video converter starts the job, but after awhile my computer freezes completely (not always at the same time) when trying to convert the video with this AVS video converter. I mean that everything is blocked including mouse and keyboard I can't even restart or close it, the only solution is to un-plug it from the power source and then to plug in again. This is my only computer and my knowledge in both computers and video editing is very limited I'd dare to say it's almost zero, I think this the source of the problem.

If anybody knows about the problem, please help with the settings I should make or with other compatible software with my computer (AMD) and with sony video camera.

Guest rotohammer

The symptom you describe is typical for a system thats over heating, possibly due to a dirty fan or poor air flow. Video conversion is cpu intensive, causing a lot of heat, which needs to be dissipated. Also, check that the cpu heatsink assembly is attached properly and that there is no air gap between it and the top of the cpu. (ie: crooked heatsink)

-Roto