G icon on the taskbar

Guest snowgum

Guest snowgum

To conserve battery I set my band preference under 'phone' to GSM, in order to disable 3G. I've still got a G icon on the top of the screen however. This got me thinking. Does the G mean I'm still connected to 3G, or does it mean something else? Any help welcome.

Matthew

Guest snowgum
No, "G" means GPRS. It would display "3G" or "H" if using a faster path.

That clears that up! Thank you. Another newbie question. When I connect to the internet, I notice that my 3G icon changes to an H icon briefly. Could anyone explain if this is normal?

Thanks again.

M

Guest RickDawson

Thats normal ;)

HSDPA (H) is an "enhanced" 3G

When not connected it will show GPRS (G) or 3G depending on whats available (but not show HSDPA (H)).

When it is connected the above is the same, however it will now also show HSDPA (H) if you use it.

HSDPA is automatic seamless switching between it and 3G.

If you have 3G enabled it can use HSDPA (if available)

Guest snowgum
Thats normal ;)

HSDPA (H) is an "enhanced" 3G

When not connected it will show GPRS (G) or 3G depending on whats available (but not show HSDPA (H)).

When it is connected the above is the same, however it will now also show HSDPA (H) if you use it.

Brilliant. Thank you. I'm am now a tiny bit wiser.

M

• 2 weeks later...

That is somewhat variable, as my HTC TYTN II on Voda shows me the "H" when it is not connected.

Guest hotphil

Do you mean the big G (or H) in a square of its own, or the smaller G (or H) that appears within the signal strength icon? The icon on its own shows what's available, the letter within the signal strength indicator shows an active connection (of the type indicated by the letter shown).

Edited by hotphil

Guest RickDawson
That is somewhat variable, as my HTC TYTN II on Voda shows me the "H" when it is not connected.

mayby voda has a stronger HSDPA signal where you are then.

No, for some reason the Vario III doesn't "keep" the HSPDA connection all the time, it goes back to a 3g after a while. Actually quite annoying, because if you're in a HSPDA area, and you've waited too long to click a link (e.g. if you're reading the news) you have to wait 2 seconds for the H icon to re-appear (the one with the arrows). It doesn't even do the big square H.

Guest Neil5459
No, for some reason the Vario III doesn't "keep" the HSPDA connection all the time, it goes back to a 3g after a while. Actually quite annoying, because if you're in a HSPDA area, and you've waited too long to click a link (e.g. if you're reading the news) you have to wait 2 seconds for the H icon to re-appear (the one with the arrows). It doesn't even do the big square H.

The H icon for HSDPA should only show when data is actually being tranferred, as the 3G to HSDPA connection is dynamic. Both my P3600 and X7500 (on Orange) change from 3G to H when the data request is sent from the device, so the HSDPA connection is active as soon as the downstream begins. It drops back to 3G as soon as the active session has completed.

Presumably once HSUPA is rolled out on WM devices and networks, we'll start seeing the H icon all the time ;)

Guest jimbouk

As some people have said, most UK networks set their 3G system up to show you a 3G symbol when you are in range/connected, which changes to an H if and when the cell "boosts" your data transfer up to HSDPA speeds (like a turbo charger cutting in). That is the way that the networks agreed HSDPA should be implemented.

It seems that Voda have changed their 3G cells to transmit that they offer H to all enabled devices that connect to the cells.

As some people have said, most UK networks set their 3G system up to show you a 3G symbol when you are in range/connected, which changes to an H if and when the cell "boosts" your data transfer up to HSDPA speeds (like a turbo charger cutting in). That is the way that the networks agreed HSDPA should be implemented.

It seems that Voda have changed their 3G cells to transmit that they offer H to all enabled devices that connect to the cells.

That must be it, as it is quite rare for me to see "3G" on the square icon. But it does happen on more rural locations that have 3G.