Best Mapping software?

Guest RickDawson

Guest RickDawson

What's the best map software to get for my Vario III ?

I want to go do some walking in the lake district this month, and I am going to start driving lessons so I will also want to eventually use it for car navigation

Guest dolbe666
What's the best map software to get for my Vario III ?

I want to go do some walking in the lake district this month, and I am going to start driving lessons so I will also want to eventually use it for car navigation

for walking especially the lake district try memorymap, its a pc program that has a pda function that will transfer maps to the pda app that it put on your mobile. there are maps of the lake distric available for download. ive tested it on my qtek 9000 and it worked great

Guest predictable

Have to agree that MM is great software. I've used it walking and flying and it works well. Looking in the Times today the garmin maps at £60 a pop looks to be good value but I haven't tested it. I have been experimenting with the free GPS software at http://www.gpss.tripoduk.com/ so far so good. It works with the Kaiser and I had some fun testing it in Morocco recently. The owner of the software will give you the software and some maps if you register with him. I have attached the kaiser to my laptop using franson gate and have had some great results - taking the gps feed directly from the kaiser and onto the laptop is very useful for route planning. It also works well with windows live maps and google earth/maps if your laptop is connected to a decent internet connection - probably not what you need but useful background info.

Tomtom 6 is the best driving application I've used and the best server based software is Windows live search (imo!).

• 4 months later...
Guest paulrw
I have been experimenting with the free GPS software at http://www.gpss.tripoduk.com/ so far so good. It works with the Kaiser and I had some fun testing it in Morocco recently. The owner of the software will give you the software and some maps if you register with him.

Interested in whether you have managed to get it working with the built in GPS - not clear from your post whether you are running the software on the Kaiser or the laptop. I am looking for some basic walking stuff (built in sat nav in the car, and the Kaiser can't compete with a 7" screen :D ). I have tried smart2go but it simply hangs, and any supplier which has links to report how great the software is but nowhere to report bugs is best avoided. Google works fine, but without an unlimited data account is too expensive.

There is a report on the GPSS beta tester page of the software not working with the Kaiser - as far as I can see with mine, the problem is simply that it doesn't switch the GPS on (no flashing amber). Any idea how this can be done?

Guest flibb

I use a cuple of bits of software to do what you want

For in car nav I use TomTom, other options out there and they all work fine.

For topo maps I use memory map navigator, other options are fugaw and anquet (I think)

To use memory map you install it to your PC then upload them aps you want to your kaiser, the bigger the memory card, the more maps you can fit on, think my map collection comes in at 20 Gb (on the PC). The rare a variety of maps you can use includinh 1:25,000, 1:50,000, road maps and marine maps, you can also print the maps or connect your hand held gps and upload routes. To get an idea of how it works theres a demo on memory maps website. Just be aeare using the GPS will eat your battery if your out walking, so have a look for extended batterys, chargers, etc. I tend to use a paper map most of the time with the kaiser ther for reference, just need a waterproof case. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by flibb

Guest Starscreamer

I haven't bought any mapping software because I can't afford the £100 + per map. But I did trial Fugawi a while back which was good, you could plot walks and stuff on 3D maps then transfer them to your PDA. Seems very similar to Memory Map, might try out memory map now! Still expensive to buy maps for.

Guest rireed
Interested in whether you have managed to get it working with the built in GPS - not clear from your post whether you are running the software on the Kaiser or the laptop. I am looking for some basic walking stuff (built in sat nav in the car, and the Kaiser can't compete with a 7" screen :D ). I have tried smart2go but it simply hangs, and any supplier which has links to report how great the software is but nowhere to report bugs is best avoided. Google works fine, but without an unlimited data account is too expensive.

There is a report on the GPSS beta tester page of the software not working with the Kaiser - as far as I can see with mine, the problem is simply that it doesn't switch the GPS on (no flashing amber). Any idea how this can be done?

paulrw,

I got this working over the week-end but I can't seem to search so it took me a while to find your post again.

Here's my post:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Pocket-PC-Ge...Kaiser-Tytn-II/

Cheers,

Richard