AuthSMTP & Vario III...

Guest Shadowfixeruk

Guest Shadowfixeruk

Hi all,

noobie question here - so please be gentle... i have searched and can't find what i want ;-).

2 things really, the first is most pressing - the second a nice to have ;-)

I am a new smartphone user (T Mobile MDA Vario III), though had an ipaq that fell into disuse around 6 years ago...

I use already use AuthSMTP to send email from my laptop from a number of different ISP's (home, hotspot, t-mobile 3G card etc..) and it works great. But i just cant get it to send mails from my vario... any ideas? (and i have contacted them)...

I want to use AuthSMTP so i don't have to keep changing mail options... when i am at home i would like to use my own wifi connection (as i have shakey reception from all mobile networks), but want to use the t-mobile network when "out"....

Which kind of brings me onto my 2nd point... is there anyway i can "prioritise" network types... what i want to do (automatically...) is for the device to recognise a connected wifi network, and connect via this, and not use the 3G\GPRS etc...

Thanks in advance!

SF.

I use AuthSMTP from my TYTN II, so it is possible. It took a bit of fiddling to get it to work however - the problem is that the standard mail program uses SSL by default and you can't turn it off that easily.

Outgoing Server needs to be

mail.authsmtp.com:2525

Outgoing server requires authentication should be ticked

You then need to log into your AuthSMTP account and make sure 'SSL sending' is enabled.

Guest Shadowfixeruk
I use AuthSMTP from my TYTN II, so it is possible. It took a bit of fiddling to get it to work however - the problem is that the standard mail program uses SSL by default and you can't turn it off that easily.

Outgoing Server needs to be

mail.authsmtp.com:2525

Outgoing server requires authentication should be ticked

You then need to log into your AuthSMTP account and make sure 'SSL sending' is enabled.

Hi Noger...

Thank you so much for your help - SSL sending is now enabled and i can send mail ;-)

The only thing i did find out from the authsmtp website is that each mail you send via ssl is worth double compared to a non ssl email.... Due to the extra load SSL causes - messages sent using SSL will be counted as 'double' wth regard to your quotas - i.e. 1 message of 30k sent will count as 2 messages with a total size of 60k when sent using SSL.

http://www.authsmtp.com/faqs/faq-56.html

Thanks again!

SF

Hi Noger...

Thank you so much for your help - SSL sending is now enabled and i can send mail ;-)

The only thing i did find out from the authsmtp website is that each mail you send via ssl is worth double compared to a non ssl email.... Due to the extra load SSL causes - messages sent using SSL will be counted as 'double' wth regard to your quotas - i.e. 1 message of 30k sent will count as 2 messages with a total size of 60k when sent using SSL.

http://www.authsmtp.com/faqs/faq-56.html

Thanks again!

SF

I know, it is a pain. I thought the above fix would tide me over until someone clever figured out to turn SSL off. There used to be something for WM5 I think (ForceOffSSL ?) but I really don;t want to go poking around in teh registry !

Guest Shadowfixeruk
I know, it is a pain. I thought the above fix would tide me over until someone clever figured out to turn SSL off. There used to be something for WM5 I think (ForceOffSSL ?) but I really don;t want to go poking around in teh registry !

Beer voucher to the first person that can fix this ;-)

SF

Guest Subliminal Aura
Beer voucher to the first person that can fix this ;-)

SF

Free beer ;) Mmmmmm

Outgoing(SMTP) mail server> Advanced Server Settings...

as attached

Screen.bmp

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Free beer :( Mmmmmm

Outgoing(SMTP) mail server> Advanced Server Settings...

as attached

Cheers for that... trouble is a) don't know how to make a screenshot, :D don't have require SSL ticked on my Vario III... so it shouldn't be forcing me to use it...?

could try ticking and unticking ;)

SF

Edit : Just tried enabling\disabling that setting and it made no difference.....

Seems that the VARIO is sending via SSL anyway....

SF

Edited by Shadowfixeruk

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Strange.

What mailserver are you connecting to ?

Is this a service provided by http://www.authsmtp.com/ ?

I can definitely confirm that my settings work as :

I connect to my mailserver as IMAP(SSL) incoming(port 993) and SMTPauth(plain) outgoing(25).

Hmmmm.... do you user Authsmtp.com for mail forwarding?

the service that they provide is mail forwarding from anywhere via your account with them - when i access from my laptop to my account with authsmtp i don't need SSL - however enabling the send via SSL function on my account page on authsmtp seemed to allow the vario to send through....

Hmmmm.... do you user Authsmtp.com for mail forwarding?

the service that they provide is mail forwarding from anywhere via your account with them - when i access from my laptop to my account with authsmtp i don't need SSL - however enabling the send via SSL function on my account page on authsmtp seemed to allow the vario to send through....

Yes, that "Require SSL" on the outgoing does nothing, well it didn't do when I checked. I sent two messages via AuthSMTP, one with it checked and one with it not, and then looked at the logs. BOTH said that SSL was enabled, and the message was rejected on this basis. So I concluded it does nothing !

ETA : Just tested it again. Sent message from T2 with SSL OFF. AuthSMTP log confirms that SSL is ON for the message, it has also been sent from port 465 rather than 2525. Recevied message also has

"version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5 bits=128 verify=NO" in the MIME stuff. Not that I have clue what that means !!!!

Edited by Noger