Developing physical problems with my E650

Guest Sheldon

Guest Sheldon

Firstly and foremost, I should say that I have never dropped the phone or anything to cause either of the following problems. Its also kept either in my coat pocket with nothing else in there [eg keys] or on a shelf.

Firstly, the phone is very loose in the joints that keep the top part of the phone connected to the keyboard. It's got to the point now where I am starting to see things that are on the keyboard [the rubber thing at the bottom] because it can move so much when the phone is closed. Secondly, if you look where the red and green phone keys connect at the bottom the phone, the plastic between them has cracked, I'm guessing from either pressing the red key or the 0. Because of this, the red key can be pressed so the area that joins the red and green can be pushed up off the face of the phone. Now, this really concerns me for it could easily get caught on the fabric in my pocket and possibly rip the red button clean off the phone. In addition to this, the button is tempermental an will sometimes work first time, and sometimes will take quite a few presses.

Will Orange replace my handset under warranty because of these problems? If so, is there anyway of me saving all data on the phone to my computer so I can just transfer it straight over when [if] I get a new handset? I have no idea about ActiveSync and how it works ;)

Guest Sheldon

UPDATE: Just rang Orange and they are sending me a new handset out tomorrow. Can anyone walk me through the process of saving everything off my phone onto the computer? Text messages etc. [all pictures are kept on a memory card].

Thanks!

Guest budadank
UPDATE: Just rang Orange and they are sending me a new handset out tomorrow. Can anyone walk me through the process of saving everything off my phone onto the computer? Text messages etc. [all pictures are kept on a memory card].

Thanks!

Hi Sheldon,

Sorry to hear about your woes, glad Orange sorted it for you. They're pretty good like that (in my experience). You have a number of options available to you, each with their usual pros and cons.

Activesync is a doddle. If you're running Windows XP, install Activesync from the CD that came with your E650. Once the software and drivers are installed you can plug your phone into a USB port and you'll be able to set up a Partnership between your phone and computer. Your contacts, calendar and e-mail will be synchronised between your Phone and PC. Any configuration options will be presented to you if there's a problem synchronising. (i.e. mismatched duplicate items). Sadly, text messages will not be saved.

Your other option is to use a third party backup application such as SPB Backup or Sprite Backup. These programs will basically backup your entire phone's settings and data into a file on your SD card or PC that you can later restore. You can save text messages with this option as well as everything else, but you may have to purchase the software as I am unaware of what the trial versions allow you to do. I'm fairly sure that they are a limited trial period of full functionality so should meet your needs for a one off use. Although I would say if you like it, buy it, because it's a very useful facility to have once you've invested lots of time customising your phone.

You do need to complete option one in order to carry out option two though, as you'll need activesync installed in order to easily install these third party apps to your device. Unless you're confident in copying CAB files to your device and installing them from there.

Hope this helps you, feel free to post again with any more questions.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sprite Backup would be your best bet, and it has a free trial, which should serve your needs. If you like it, you can then purchase or get it free with MoDaCo Plus. I have my device set to back up daily (with a maximum of 7 backups stored on the storage card), and it's saved me quite a few times ;)

P