E650 / S710 - can't copy large files to memory card.

Guest C600Madness

Guest C600Madness

Hello - just bought a 6GB card for my E650 and have been copying stuff over to it via explore on Activesync. This has been fine for loads of photos and stuff like Doom etc so I know that there isn't a problem with the card.

However, if I try and copy over a movie .AVI of around 800MB the status bar seems to just freeze and nothing happens. I've turned off the 'convert to mobile format' option on Activesync and that didnt help.

Any ideas?

Guest hcanning
Hello - just bought a 6GB card for my E650 and have been copying stuff over to it via explore on Activesync. This has been fine for loads of photos and stuff like Doom etc so I know that there isn't a problem with the card.

However, if I try and copy over a movie .AVI of around 800MB the status bar seems to just freeze and nothing happens. I've turned off the 'convert to mobile format' option on Activesync and that didnt help.

Any ideas?

I've had this happen on various PDAs and smartphones, the solution is to use a card reader, or do it over the network, I think it's an activesync issue

Guest C600Madness
I've had this happen on various PDAs and smartphones, the solution is to use a card reader, or do it over the network, I think it's an activesync issue

Hello, yes I got a card reader bundled with the memory card but everytime I try and delete things from the card using it this USB thing or copy stuff over to it says its write protected? ;) There is a little tab on the SD converter but it does the same thing whichever way its set.

Bloody thing.

How do you mean copy over the network?

Guest Wombleuk

Just leave it - it will take an awfully long time via Activesync (an hour maybe), but it will copy across.

Also, you could try WM5storage - much faster.

Guest hcanning
Just leave it - it will take an awfully long time via Activesync (an hour maybe), but it will copy across.

It won't, it just goes back to the beginning again, I had this issue on two different devices when copying across TomTom files (maps) and the progress bar would get half, maybe two thirds of the way across and start again ;) The solution is to use a card reader, it'll also transfer the data about 5 times faster :(

Guest Wombleuk

That's right, the progress bar does odd things, but it will definitely copy across.

But, if you don't want to swap your card out each time you need to update it, WM5torage is the way to go.

Guest C600Madness

Got a card reader but the damn thing keeps saying that the card is write protected - seems as though lots of people have that problem. The switch on the side of the SD converter does bugger all - its the same both ways. Maybe its a duff reader?

Anyway I am quite scared of that WM5torage thing - I installed it and it brings up three sectors - two phone ones and a card. If I select the card I get a warning message about it not being formatted like a normal card and it may irreversibly screw up the phone if I proceed?! Note that the card works fine via Activesync for photos etc.