T-Mobile Shadow: 1st One a 'Dud' :(

Guest chaznet

Guest chaznet

The call quality on my first Shadow as terrible, took it in to return it and was told something was wrong with it, they exchanged it for a new one which has great call quality.

Edited by chaznet

Guest chaznet

It is just OK on my end, worse for the other caller. I think it's the device, but who knows -- I could be wrong. There's another reason to return it as well, that scroll-wheel. Just read this from the NY Times review:

The only hardware disappointment is that scroll wheel, which is balky and slow to respond. T-Mobile agrees, and has a fix planned for the next batch

If they're coming out with a 'new batch' with improved scroll wheels, I'd bet there'll be other little tweaks hardware-wise (like call quality). The 2nd ones will probably be the way to go for those going with a Shadow.

Not sure where you're hearing the call quality is good, from the T-Mobile rep? I've not seen anyone refer to it as being good, just not-so-good. Give someone a call on it, ask what they're hearing ;) CNET mentions it in their review:

The call quality of the Shadow could be better, particularly the speakerphone

I bought one today :(

Sure yours wasn't a dud? I've heard good things about the Shadow call quality...

P

Edited by chaznet

Guest chaznet

Actually -- it was a dud, they convinced me to try another and extended my return-if-not-satisifed date. This 2nd one is much better... So, it's once again me and my Shadow ;)

I bought one today :(

Sure yours wasn't a dud? I've heard good things about the Shadow call quality...

P

Guest palmsolo
Actually -- it was a dud, they convinced me to try another and extended my return-if-not-satisifed date. This 2nd one is much better... So, it's once again me and my Shadow ;)

Good to hear you are back with a Shadow. I actually started singing part of that song at the beginning of Mobile Tech Roundup #116, which should be out in a day or so. My call quality has actually been fine and no one has complained or commented that it sounded any different than any other device I have used. The speakerphone gets pretty dang loud, but at full volume loses some quality and is almost too loud and distorted at the highest level.

I thought about buying a Curve and that was my initial intention when I went to the store, but I just couldn't resist the WM Smartphone with some very decent specs and cool UI.

Guest chaznet

Yes -- a nice device, though should be much better once some tweaks start becoming available -- wish I knew how to figure it all out, especially the navigation pad alert stuff, and the keyboard lights...

Good to hear you are back with a Shadow. I actually started singing part of that song at the beginning of Mobile Tech Roundup #116, which should be out in a day or so. My call quality has actually been fine and no one has complained or commented that it sounded any different than any other device I have used. The speakerphone gets pretty dang loud, but at full volume loses some quality and is almost too loud and distorted at the highest level.

I thought about buying a Curve and that was my initial intention when I went to the store, but I just couldn't resist the WM Smartphone with some very decent specs and cool UI.