data connection

Guest geordiekid

Guest geordiekid

Just got the phone... love it...

One thing is BUGGING me though... any advice welcome - have seen a few posts on similar issues and tried them, but nothing has worked...

I have set the Kaiser to check my Gmail every 30 minutes or so - at work and home I have wi-fi I can use - and the phone is enabled with both networks.

However, what I would like to happen is my phone to use 3G only inbetween locations, and turn off the 3G data connection itself when at home or work and wifi is available.

Is this possible ... and how!?

Any advice welcome!

gk

Guest jimbouk

Quick answer. No.

Long answer: You could leave your device plugged in to the mains when at home and set it to not go to standby when powered, then turn wifi on and it would use that - but wouldn't a laptop/pc at home be more convenient?

If you are on an unlimited data plan then 3g/gprs would make more sense.

Guest geordiekid
Quick answer. No.

Long answer: You could leave your device plugged in to the mains when at home and set it to not go to standby when powered, then turn wifi on and it would use that - but wouldn't a laptop/pc at home be more convenient?

If you are on an unlimited data plan then 3g/gprs would make more sense.

Thanks for the answer...what a shame...

In reply: it's just a bit of a fiddle to have to do your suggestion of plugging into the mains each time I come in, and I do have a laptop and PC - but using the phone saves having to turn either on each time I just need to make a quick search for something.

I do have a data plan, but my wifi's quicker...

Thanks!

Guest jimbouk

I have my pop mail accounts sent to send/receive every 30 mins when I am out and about, but before I had HSDPA I would often just go into the settings and set them to manual when I am home for the weekend, and then turn the wifi on every couple of hours and check mail manually.

Now I have HSDPA, the speed difference between wifi and 3G is negligible just to poll and mail server.

I turn wifi on if I am going to be surfing but otherwise leave 3G on.

What you want to do is totally possible look for bandswitch on XDA. Its not actually band switch you want but the other program that the chap makes. It allows you to customise your profile based on LAC code ie when you are in your home LAC then it turns on wifi etc and when you leave it it turns it off. same for work

Costs a little but will do exactly what you want now if only i could remember the name of it something like commmanager (and yes there are three m's)

Jeremy