TriBand Phones on AT&T

Guest MadSci

I am getting sick of AT&T's never ending nonsense about WM6 on my BJ :(

And as much as I love the phone, I would like something a bid smaller and faster.

Enter the i620, but wait, it's only Triband! :D

OK, what about the upcoming i640, it's got everything right, but oops, again, only triband. <_<

So I'm wondering how AT&T's phone service would suffer if I moved from a quad to a triband (GSM 900, 1800 & 1900, UMTS 850, 1900 & 2100) from the BJ's quad band (GSM 850, 900, 1800 & 1900, UMTS 850 & 1900)?

Has anyone else out here in the States tried this? If it worked, I might become an Expansys customer pretty fast!

Anyone? ;)

Thanks

(Very)MadSci

Guest sfcrusader
I am getting sick of AT&T's never ending nonsense about WM6 on my BJ :(

And as much as I love the phone, I would like something a bid smaller and faster.

Enter the i620, but wait, it's only Triband! :D

OK, what about the upcoming i640, it's got everything right, but oops, again, only triband. <_<

So I'm wondering how AT&T's phone service would suffer if I moved from a quad to a triband (GSM 900, 1800 & 1900, UMTS 850, 1900 & 2100) from the BJ's quad band (GSM 850, 900, 1800 & 1900, UMTS 850 & 1900)?

Has anyone else out here in the States tried this? If it worked, I might become an Expansys customer pretty fast!

Anyone? ;)

Thanks

(Very)MadSci

Boy isnt this frequency thing across bands a complete mess - how confusing and probably totally unecessary. I guess its more of the protectionist mentality that telcos in the US have at work.

Here are some links that I found on this. It appears that the quad band gives you the 850Mhz for full coverage in the US as some parts of the US operate on 850Mhz GSM (assuming that you have the Eurasian triband)

http://cellphoneforums.net/siemens/t220102...-quad-band.html

http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php...8&fi=392431

http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-G...-1800-1900-USA/

Guest sfcrusader
Boy isnt this frequency thing across bands a complete mess - how confusing and probably totally unecessary.

Well it appears that the 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz frequency ranges were already in use in the US when GSM crossed the atlantic to the US. So apparently the reason for the different US frequencies was to comply with FCC frequency spectrum rules. Alright now I understand what happened

Seems like we need a six or seven band phone that can take care of all the GSM and 3G variants

What about the upcoming BlackJack II?

P

True, but even though I'll probably just bleat out and buy it, it's not much of an ungrade really. Slightly faster, slightly better pointer, slightly better camera. a blinker that I'll probably have to hack off so I can get some sleep, GPS. Not much to justify the move really. Samsung is offering several better ones in Europe, what's wrong with North America? ;)

Now a smaller form factor, or a bigger screeen, or a built-in virtual keyboard, or heavens-forbid, if ATT actually recognized that their 3G network is more of a 'patchwork', and let the 90% of us who don't live, work & travel under it's leaky umbrella use WiFi! Now THAT would be a phone worth REAL money! :(

MadSci