Best T-Mobile Upgrade Price on Shadow?

Guest mmmaiki

Guest mmmaiki

My T-Mobile (USA) contract has expired a long time ago, and I'm thinking of retiring my bulky MDA for the Shadow.

The upgrade price quoted to me by T-Mobile, both online and at a T-Mobile store, is $199 with a $50 mail-in rebate. (Therefore they advertise $149.) That requires a two year contract extension.

At the T-Mobile store there was one other option though, that I don't see online. For $50 more (pay $250 in store, and get a $50 rebate) you can get it with only a one year contract extension.

If I choose from those choices, I might opt to pay the $50 more, and only get the 1 year contract. It's not likely that I would switch from T-Mobile in the next two years, but with a two year extension, one cannot get the upgrade price on a new phone until 22 months. I don't always change phones within two years, but I think there will be a lot of changes in the next year, 3G, etc., and the Shadow might become quite outmoded in well under 22 months.

It's also easier to return to the store, if I decide I don't like it. (30 day trial period).

However, I'm wondering if there are other options, besides those mentioned above. When I bought my MDA (also an upgrade), for instance, I bought it at Compusa, which offered a better deal for an upgrade price, with only a one-year contract extension, than T-Mobile gave for a two year contract.

I haven't yet heard of an upgrade deal for the Shadow though. I know those new to T-Mobile service can probably get a better price through Amazon, or some other third party vendors, than directly through T-Mobile. But I don't know if there is a better deal for an upgrade.

Does anyone know of a better deal for an upgrade than the ones I mentioned above from T-Mobile, store or online? Has anyone tried the T-Mobile retentions dept yet, calling and saying you want to cancel, and let them talk you into staying with a good phone deal? I've read about people doing that, but don't know if anyone has got a Shadow that way. Has anyone here got a Shadow through retentions, or heard of someone getting one that way? At what price?

Or--any third-party vendors, offering a better price for the upgrade than directly from T-Mobile (such as my MDA at CompUSA)?

Let's find out what is the best price people have bought the Shadow for, as an upgrade.

Guest chaznet

You've discovered all available pricing already -- if you wait a bit, this will change as it does with all T-Mobile's stuff, but as the handset is new the 3rd party discounts aren't out there yet.

Also, regardless of how long you extend your contract, you're eligable for the best available upgrade pricing (with another contract extension) once every 11 months, regardless of how long you extended the last time.

My T-Mobile (USA) contract has expired a long time ago, and I'm thinking of retiring my bulky MDA for the Shadow.

The upgrade price quoted to me by T-Mobile, both online and at a T-Mobile store, is $199 with a $50 mail-in rebate. (Therefore they advertise $149.) That requires a two year contract extension.

At the T-Mobile store there was one other option though, that I don't see online. For $50 more (pay $250 in store, and get a $50 rebate) you can get it with only a one year contract extension.

If I choose from those choices, I might opt to pay the $50 more, and only get the 1 year contract. It's not likely that I would switch from T-Mobile in the next two years, but with a two year extension, one cannot get the upgrade price on a new phone until 22 months. I don't always change phones within two years, but I think there will be a lot of changes in the next year, 3G, etc., and the Shadow might become quite outmoded in well under 22 months.

It's also easier to return to the store, if I decide I don't like it. (30 day trial period).

However, I'm wondering if there are other options, besides those mentioned above. When I bought my MDA (also an upgrade), for instance, I bought it at Compusa, which offered a better deal for an upgrade price, with only a one-year contract extension, than T-Mobile gave for a two year contract.

I haven't yet heard of an upgrade deal for the Shadow though. I know those new to T-Mobile service can probably get a better price through Amazon, or some other third party vendors, than directly through T-Mobile. But I don't know if there is a better deal for an upgrade.

Does anyone know of a better deal for an upgrade than the ones I mentioned above from T-Mobile, store or online? Has anyone tried the T-Mobile retentions dept yet, calling and saying you want to cancel, and let them talk you into staying with a good phone deal? I've read about people doing that, but don't know if anyone has got a Shadow that way. Has anyone here got a Shadow through retentions, or heard of someone getting one that way? At what price?

Or--any third-party vendors, offering a better price for the upgrade than directly from T-Mobile (such as my MDA at CompUSA)?

Let's find out what is the best price people have bought the Shadow for, as an upgrade.

Edited by chaznet

Guest mmmaiki
Also, regardless of how long you extend your contract, you're eligable for the best available upgrade pricing (with another contract extension) once every 11 months, regardless of how long you extended the last time.

That's not what I was told at the T-Mobile store. The rep told me that with a one year contract, you are eligible for a phone upgrade at 11 months. With a two year contract, you are not eligible for a phone upgrade until 22 months.

Guest mmmaiki
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.ph...t-mobile+shadow

T-Mobile Shadow for $79 + 1 year contract. I'm going to give it a try in a bit.

Same thing that cgigate wrote about. You guys shouldn't go along with advertising listing prices "after rebates". It can take months to get a rebate, and they don't always come at all. (A hassle to submit them as well.) So, the price you are talking about is $129, and the $50 mail-in rebate. That's a better way to put it. List the real price.

Yet, that is a much better price than the ones I listed, and you only need a one-year contract. However, I was asking about the best price for an upgrade. That promotion for $129 is for new T-Mobile customers only, or for existing customers who want to add a line.

I have no interest in adding a line, so I cannot get that price. Out of curiousity, I tried. I called that number, asked about it, and was told absolutely that I could not get that price, unless I added a line. They don't even deal with upgrades for existing customers at all, and suggested I call T-Mo customer service.

I called T-Mo CS, asked about upgrade prices, and was told $199 with $50 rebate, for two year contract, same as online. I told the rep about the $129 price for the promotion you mentioned. I said that although I couldn't get that promotion, since it is only for new customers (or new lines), could he match that price for me, since I am a long time T-Mo customer, whose contract has long since expired. He looked it up, made inquiries, etc., and said there was no way he could give me a better price than what he had quoted for me.

So yes, for a new T-Mobile customer wanting a Shadow (or Dash or Wing), that promotion you mentioned is a very good deal, certainly better than the standard T-Mo prices. (I haven't checked Amazon though. They sometimes have very good phone deals for new T-Mo customers.) But it is not a plan for current customers, regardless of whether your contract has expired.

So, I still have not found a better price for an upgrade, than $199 with $50 rebate with two year contract (online, phone, or store), or $249 with $50 rebate for one year contract (store only). If anyone has got a better upgrade deal, please let me know.

Has anyone tried retentions yet? (Calling T-Mo and saying you want to cancel your service. You will be transferred to the retention department, which will try to get you to stay with T-Mo by offering you a good deal.) (I've never done this, but have read about it.) If someone tries that, please report to us what price you got it for.

Guest SomeaznPunk

1. I've dealt with two T-Mobile rebates before. Both times, got the money within 6 weeks. No calling and no hassle. Just because some companies are shady with their rebates doesn't mean all are.

2. Everything worked out for me. I am an OOC T-Mobile customer. I signed up for a one year contract and I got the phone for $79.99 after rebate. No activation fee and 2 day business day shipping. I even convinced them to ship to South Carolina, a state where there isn't even T-Mobile coverage.

Maybe I'm better at sweet talking than you.

Guest mmmaiki
1. I've dealt with two T-Mobile rebates before. Both times, got the money within 6 weeks. No calling and no hassle. Just because some companies are shady with their rebates doesn't mean all are.

2. Everything worked out for me. I am an OOC T-Mobile customer. I signed up for a one year contract and I got the phone for $79.99 after rebate. No activation fee and 2 day business day shipping. I even convinced them to ship to South Carolina, a state where there isn't even T-Mobile coverage.

Maybe I'm better at sweet talking than you.

What do you mean by OOC customer? Who did you talk to to get that deal? Did you speak to retentions? Or was it regular customer service? What did you say?

Guest SomeaznPunk
What do you mean by OOC customer? Who did you talk to to get that deal? Did you speak to retentions? Or was it regular customer service? What did you say?

OOC is out of contract which is what I assume you are. If I am mistaken, I apologize. It was regular customer service. I just told them I was told to call this number and give the promotional code. After I gave the code, I asked if I could keep my number. The guy waited for a bit and then said that they would cancel my current monthly bill (I would pay the prorated bill) and then once I got the phone, just to stick my old sim card in the new phone. Then, he said there was an issue because T-Mobile isn't in SC. I told them that I would be returing to NY soon but needed the phone shipping to SC and he agreed.

The key is don't ask too many questions or bring up too many things. Just say the right things and give minimal responses. You want to sound confident and "in the know." This promotion is aimed at software developers. So, if you seem like you don't know what the deal is actually about, they are less likely to give it to you. They probably just gave you the run-around because they figured that you weren't a software developer so you shouldn't get the promotion.

You can try again, but they might have already put a note in your account or something.

I got the $29.99 a month plan without any extras or accessories. No activation fee and 2 business day shipping. Should be getting the phone tomorrow.

Guest mmmaiki
OOC is out of contract which is what I assume you are. If I am mistaken, I apologize. It was regular customer service. I just told them I was told to call this number and give the promotional code. After I gave the code, I asked if I could keep my number. The guy waited for a bit and then said that they would cancel my current monthly bill (I would pay the prorated bill) and then once I got the phone, just to stick my old sim card in the new phone. Then, he said there was an issue because T-Mobile isn't in SC. I told them that I would be returing to NY soon but needed the phone shipping to SC and he agreed.

The key is don't ask too many questions or bring up too many things. Just say the right things and give minimal responses. You want to sound confident and "in the know." This promotion is aimed at software developers. So, if you seem like you don't know what the deal is actually about, they are less likely to give it to you. They probably just gave you the run-around because they figured that you weren't a software developer so you shouldn't get the promotion.

You can try again, but they might have already put a note in your account or something.

I got the $29.99 a month plan without any extras or accessories. No activation fee and 2 business day shipping. Should be getting the phone tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. What is the promotional code you gave him? Why would they cancel your current monthly bill?

Yes, I am long out of contract.

Thanks again for the info.

Guest badbob001

I was on a four line family plan that was out of contract. What I did was called the t-mobile business number, used promo "windows mobile" and ordered a NEW four-line family plan with two shadows and two rizrs (didn't need four wm devices). When I got the new phones, I called t-mobile and had them CANCEL my old contract and move my old numbers to my new contract. I called them at night for the cancel/move and my numbers were moved by start of business the next morning.

Guest mmmaiki
I was on a four line family plan that was out of contract. What I did was called the t-mobile business number, used promo "windows mobile" and ordered a NEW four-line family plan with two shadows and two rizrs (didn't need four wm devices). When I got the new phones, I called t-mobile and had them CANCEL my old contract and move my old numbers to my new contract. I called them at night for the cancel/move and my numbers were moved by start of business the next morning.

I was told that they cannot port a number from one T-Mobile line to another one.

Also, my current T-Mobile plan has grandfathered 2.99 T-Zones (including a big message bucket), and I get 1000 anytime minutes (unlimited weekends) no roaming or long distance charges, for $39.99 month. I don't think they have that offer now. If I started a new line, it would probably not get my grandfathered rates.

Anyhow, I'd still like to hear from Someaznpunk, how he got this price without starting new lines, cancelling current one, etc. I hope he responds again, with more details. Thank you.

Guest SomeaznPunk
I was told that they cannot port a number from one T-Mobile line to another one.

Also, my current T-Mobile plan has grandfathered 2.99 T-Zones (including a big message bucket), and I get 1000 anytime minutes (unlimited weekends) no roaming or long distance charges, for $39.99 month. I don't think they have that offer now. If I started a new line, it would probably not get my grandfathered rates.

Anyhow, I'd still like to hear from Someaznpunk, how he got this price without starting new lines, cancelling current one, etc. I hope he responds again, with more details. Thank you.

I don't know what else to tell you. I did exactly what I said I did. I got no trouble or anything. Just mentioned that I was a software developer. Then, the guy told me when I got my new phone to just stick in my old sim card and throw the sim card that comes with the phone away. The reason why he cancelled my current plan is because I downgraded plans. I went from a 600 minute, $39.99/month to 300 minute, $29.99/month plan. So, they cancel my current plan, I pay what is on the bill and then they start a new, one year plan at $29.99/month.

Edited by SomeaznPunk

Guest mmmaiki
I don't know what else to tell you. I did exactly what I said I did. I got no trouble or anything. Just mentioned that I was a software developer. Then, the guy told me when I got my new phone to just stick in my old sim card and throw the sim card that comes with the phone away. The reason why he cancelled my current plan is because I downgraded plans. I went from a 600 minute, $39.99/month to 300 minute, $29.99/month plan. So, they cancel my current plan, I pay what is on the bill and then they start a new, one year plan at $29.99/month.

I had asked you about this statement of yours in an earlier post: "I just told them I was told to call this number and give the promotional code."

What code were you referring to? Is there a code number, that you gave him?

Guest SomeaznPunk
I had asked you about this statement of yours in an earlier post: "I just told them I was told to call this number and give the promotional code."

What code were you referring to? Is there a code number, that you gave him?

It was answered by badbob001 and it is in my original link. The code is "windows mobile."

Guest mmmaiki

Someazn--

I tried this today. I called Customer Service, via 611 from my cell phone. I told the very nice lady I spoke to that I had been told to call the number and give the promotional code "Windows Mobile", in order to upgrade to a Shadow.

She said she would look into it. She took some time, and came back to me saying that she could not find any promotion by that code name. She again told me the best price she could give me on an upgrade to that phone was $199 plus $18 upgrade fee, with a $50 mail-in rebate, for a two year contract.

She didn't know anything about that code, and could not find it in her system.

What number did you call?

Edited by mmmaiki

Guest mmmaiki
just read the link i gave for instruction.

I read the link. It says: "Call T-Mobile Business Direct at 866-464-8662. Push 3.

Give them the promotion code "Windows Mobile" (yes that is the promotion code).

Say no to text plans, internet plans, phone insurance and accessories"

As mentioned, I did try that number, the number one is supposed to call for that promotion. They state unequivocally that the promotion is only for new customers, or existing customers adding a new line.

As has been discussed, some say they have got around that, by ordering a new line, porting the old number to the new line, and cancelling the old line. As I wrote, when I asked about that possibility, I was told that one cannot port a number between two T-Mobile lines, that porting numbers is only allowed when you change carriers. Also, I wouldn't be eager to give up my grandfathered rates on my current line.

I thought that you wrote (correct me if I'm wrong) that you got that upgrade price without having to add a new line, and cancel your old one. Furthermore, you wrote that you had called "regular customer service" (your exact words).

So---as I wrote, I tried that yesterday--called regular customer service (611 from my mobile phone), and gave them the code Windows Mobile, using similar wording to what you reported. After looking it up, the rep told me that she could find no info on a promotion by that name.

Therefore---please clarify. Did you really call "regular customer service", as you stated before, or did you call the number in the link, which is the number one is supposed to call for that promotion, but is definitely not "regular customer service". If you called the number in the link, did they not tell you that the promotion was only for adding a new line? (wondering if I should try that number again)

Thank you for the info.

Has anyone else got that promotional price ($130 plus $50 rebate), 1 year contract, on a Shadow, without adding a line, or starting new service?

Guest SomeaznPunk

I called the number listed above and talked to whoever #3 sends to me to. It was not some special customer service. Just the normal, whoever picks up the phone when I dial #3.

Guest mmmaiki
I called the number listed above and talked to whoever #3 sends to me to. It was not some special customer service. Just the normal, whoever picks up the phone when I dial #3.

Well, dialing that number is not "regular customer service", regardless of speaking to the person who picks up the phone.

So---the rep did not tell you that you have to start a new line, if you want to get that promotion?

Guest SomeaznPunk
Well, dialing that number is not "regular customer service", regardless of speaking to the person who picks up the phone.

So---the rep did not tell you that you have to start a new line, if you want to get that promotion?

Well, when you asked whether I talked to "regular customer service" or "retention" clearly I chose "regular" because it was not retention. I don't know why you are so hung up on that distinction. It was the regular business customer service. I thought I made it pretty clear that I simply followed the directions on the link.

They probably already put a note on your account. It's over, just get the phone for the regular price. You tried too many times. This promotion is not for normal customers. It is for business customers who are software developers. If you keep calling and asking about the promotion like you don't know what it is about, clearly they will not give it to you. The promotion was released on a business publication and isn't going to work if you don't know anything about the promotion.

Guest mmmaiki
Well, when you asked whether I talked to "regular customer service" or "retention" clearly I chose "regular" because it was not retention. I don't know why you are so hung up on that distinction. It was the regular business customer service. I thought I made it pretty clear that I simply followed the directions on the link.

They probably already put a note on your account. It's over, just get the phone for the regular price. You tried too many times. This promotion is not for normal customers. It is for business customers who are software developers. If you keep calling and asking about the promotion like you don't know what it is about, clearly they will not give it to you. The promotion was released on a business publication and isn't going to work if you don't know anything about the promotion.

I'm not "hung up" on anything. Just trying to clarify what exactly was the deal you got, and how you got it.

Actually, there is nothing on the promotion that says that is only for software developers. (something about being involved with Microsoft some way--as employee, family, or "friend", but that isn't very clear, and they don't ask for proof of that.

What they do state clearly, is that the promotion is only for those who are starting service with T-Mobile, or for existing customers starting a new line.

I thought that you wrote that you got the promotion without starting a new line. That surprised me, as the promotion directions seem very clear about that. Or, did I misunderstand you? Did you actually open a new line? (Perhaps with canceling the old one, and porting the number, as some have reported?)

Thanks for the info.

Guest mmmaiki

I found out a lot today, regarding possible upgrade prices, both via the Windows Mobile promo, and retentions.

I already wrote about it in another forum. So rather than writing it over again, I will paste in the URL of that thread here.

Windows Mobile Promo thread, page 2

My post with the info found out today is #34.

(People interested in this topic will probably be interested in reading that whole thread, including Page 1 as well.)

Guest trickinit
That's not what I was told at the T-Mobile store. The rep told me that with a one year contract, you are eligible for a phone upgrade at 11 months. With a two year contract, you are not eligible for a phone upgrade until 22 months.

You are exactly right. I'm actually a T-Mobile Sales Rep and can tell you that on a one year contract you become eligible for an upgrade after 11 months, and on a two year contract it's after 22 months. Think of it this way, T-Mobile wants you to resign with them, so they will offer you a discount in return just as your contract is about to expire. Pretty clever eh?? ;)

Guest angel0214
You are exactly right. I'm actually a T-Mobile Sales Rep and can tell you that on a one year contract you become eligible for an upgrade after 11 months, and on a two year contract it's after 22 months. Think of it this way, T-Mobile wants you to resign with them, so they will offer you a discount in return just as your contract is about to expire. Pretty clever eh?? ;)

i don't think it's clever. it's just business. t-mo doing wat is best for them, which is trying their best to persuade the customer to stay, by offering goodies. just like when i called my dialup company to cancel their service they offered 1/2 price, blah blah blah, why did they not offer me and other customers that 1/2 off deal to begin with?

what i don't understand is the 2 year contract customer is the "better" customer since they "have" to stay with T-mo for 2 years. Then why do they have to wait a year longer to upgrade their phone? I don't get it. Again, T-mo knows you are stuck with them for 2 years so they wont be nice until you are about to leave them.