Which OS are you going to run on yours?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Monolithix

XP has to be my primary OS, although i do feel like i'm cheating on the community a little by doing so! If i can i think i'll look into installing xandros or ubuntu onto a memory stick so i still have it available.

Guest Subliminal Aura

Now I'm very interested in this device.

I'll probably build a custom linux distro for it : Everything stripped down a bit of busybox, stripped down inittab/rc.d, daemontools.. Something similar to the router distro I built years back.

Will see how the SSD runs otherwise I'll run a high percentage of the filesystem in physical memory - cut all the disk io to physical disk out and hey presto - 1 fast sucker

Guest Monolithix

Someone managed to get Vista to install (;)) on their EEE. Of course it only got a 1.0 experience score, but the SSD got [edit] 4.1! (see below!) [/edit] or so!

Guest Monolithix

The Xandros built Asus used only recognises up to 1GB apparently, but XP should be good for 2. I have a 1GB hopefully in the post with mine ;p

Don't forget expansion via 3xUSB 2.0 and the SDHC slot too!

Guest Paul (MVP)

512MB out of the box, people have had 2GB working no problem by just swapping out the (easily accessible) standard module.

Flash based SSD, yus, many people are also having success running the OS from a SD/SDHC in the provided slot!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, what's THAT all about. Do you think that would be strictly enforced?

I also note from when I was reading about the device earlier, Asus include a TWO year warranty (6 months on battery). Impressive!

;)

P

Guest Subliminal Aura
Note that replacing the memory invalidates the warranty btw :(

I can't believe you just said that ! ;)

@Paul : Thanks mate.

It really is looking attractive... My Sony vaio is making whirling sounds from the fans so this could be an excellent choice

Looking at the pics of the bundled OS the apps could well be lightweight :|

http://eeepc.asus.com/en/product.htm

Goes away to investigate.

Guest Subliminal Aura

GAAAAaaaaaaaaaaawwwd look at you guys ! - It's like the first time you've seen a nudie mag thread.

;)

PHOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhh

Guest Subliminal Aura

Looks like Xandros have done a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuoXoU9kbE

Booting the BIOS to POST is slow but then the Kernel boots then a couple of inits and straight into X... awesome speed.

However I did notice the lag on opening firefox/openoffice so I'm wondering how fast that processor is.

Goodnight all - sweet EEE dreams

EDIT : Wants my vote changed to Xandros for some bizzare reason !

Edited by Subliminal Aura