Which OS are you going to run on yours?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Phil Lee

I wonder how this would work as a photo viewer and downloader. I can see potential for using it to transfer photos from an SD card to an external USB hard disk.

Guest tsutton

Hmm, still think it's a waste of money unless you're a gadget lover.

Like someone pointed out, pay a little more, you get a "proper" laptop with bigger HDD, memory and faster CPU.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yes, but I have a "proper" laptop. I want something small, light, longish batt life that I can have with me for web browsing etc. without needing my full (expensive) laptop.

There are often times when I don't want to take a laptop with me, but a small machine I can chuck in a bag would be useful. Those times when a Kaiser just isn't big enough ;)

P

Guest Subliminal Aura
I think I'm going to win this one... use Opera Mini and its zooming feature. :(

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

W!NN0R :D

BUT

Here's the come back....

' Opera mini can't access sites on a private LAN ' ;)

Think I'm with Paul on this one 2.8"@320x240 pixels just doesn't cut it.

Mind you - looking into it in detail last night I came up with these 2 cons :

800×480 screen resolution might be a problem (note the 480 y-axis)

I Might wait for it to be released with the meron cpu and hopefully no fans at all.

Ive just read through the manual on mine ...and to my suprise theres a whole chapter on how to install windows xp on the thing and even how to optimize it to run on the eeepc.

Tuing off virtual memory.etc .etc.

Guest leonxki

The full manual doesnt extract for me either. Paul, could you be so kind to host it somewhere accessible?

Also, looking through the quick guide, I feel gutted that Im gonna miss the voice command feature that Xandros has with my favoured XP install. Damn.

Thoughts?

Well aint even switched mine on yet...Still undcided on which OS to go for.

So you guys who have used Xp / Xandros + other os's which do you prefer now youve used them for a few days?

Is Xp ok on 512 / 1gig ?

Does it run sluggish at all?

Thanks

Guest Monolithix

Running xp fine here! 1GB RAM but i've not seen usage about 400mb yet. General usage in XP is absolutely fine, any slow downs i've seen so far have been when the SSD is being really hammered, eg when installing everything from Windows Update! Office 2007 is fine, Outlook panics a bit though but i think thats more due to my 6560mb ost, my (modern) PC has similar issues.

So far, no complaints whatsoever!

(Posted from my Eee PC ;))