Installing XP via a USB stick...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest leonxki
There is a slightly easier way to do this. First make the usb key bootable then copy the i386 folder and all its contents from the WindowsXP CD to the usb key. Boot the Eee from the USB key and when you get to the dos prompt type cd i386 so it looks like this E:\I386 replacing E with the drive letter of your usb. Next type winnt.exe hit enter xp should then start to install.

That errors too. With a Winnt.exe is a 16 bit application error. I remember cheering when I found this a suggested solution, but my celebrations cut short on error.

The was I installed my xp was rather simple. I plugged in an external HDD, dragged and dropped my nlited iso onto the external USB HDD, loaded up Daemon Tools, pointed to this .iso and started the instal.

Installation files are then copied to the SSD but obviously will be messy if you leave your current Windows folder on SSD. So in nlite, I made sure I renamed the install location to C:\INSTAL so as to simply delete the huge Winndows folder post install. Also redirected my Program 'Flies' :( to my SDHC. This ended up with a superfast slipstreamed nlited win XP. Works a charm.

Leon.

Guest emyllis

Now I'm stuck! I can't find how to get the USB detect on boot up... Can someone clarify what I need to do?! Hope it's not a really silly qn!

But what buttons do I press?

I had soooo much trouble trying to install Xp with a USB stick.....i gave up in the end and bought an external CD-rom drive,so much easier.

Edit: Ive got 2 if anyone wants one..... £18

Sorry i know im not allowed to advertise on here..if its not ok ill remove it.

DSCF1371Medium.jpg

:( :D :D

Edited by J273

I want one!

I'll PM...

P

Replied to your PM paul......not sure you got it though ass i was replying from my phone which crapped out on me.

I have just put it on ebay....but if you want it let me know.

Its only a cd rom drive ...but works perfectly powering from a singe USB port...no external power needed.

Say £16.inc

Cheers

Guest fantom4

I think this is due to the fact xp does not do usb like what is needed.

ie yes you can boot from sd card or flash drive as bios treats it like a hd but then the os kicks in and see's a usb device. and can no longer find the install device.

i do like you can reinstall xandros from sd and its fast too. so need for cd rom there if you have pc with dvd drive.

Guest webcomconsulting
I'm going to give this a go since I don't have a USB CD. I'm currently copying a Windows installation CD to a USB stick. Once I've done this and hopefully gone through the installation process, how do I get the device drivers from the ASUS DVD?

Bugger, I get the error code 18 with my USB stick.

Im sorry, but I cant help but smile and ......

PSST GUYS>>>LOOK HERE ON ASUS'S SITE

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?no=20...SLanguage=en-us

Edited by webcomconsulting

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sparky77
I've nlited a version of xp installs fine on my main pc but when i try and install it via a USB stick on the eee

it starts to boot then comes up with:

'File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.

The error code is 18

Setup cannot continue.Press any key to exit.'

As anyone any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Snap did you get it sorted

Guest luketmk

I tried to use my iPod nano as a USB flash drive for this guide, things didn't really work out. Even after I have set external drive as 1st under Bios setup, the system just booted to the xandros desktop everytime. Did anyone else try using an ipod?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest tom_kauf

Very interesting topic. :D

I'm also interested in installing XP from a USB stick. But is it faster than installing from a CD?

The reason is, I work as a contractor Technician for Dell. I mainly do hardware replacement on Laptops/Desktops but I also do a LOT of Windows reinstallations. It's frustrating to sit infront of a system at the customer's Home/Office for 30-45min (+ 15-20min for Drivers/Software).

I will set up an unattended installation to save a few minutes. But can I save a few more minutes by copying the Windows files to a USB Stick or external USB HDD? The CD reading seems to be the bottleneck.

I managed to make a USB stick bootable with 'HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool', and copy the i386 folder contents over. But the installation is slooooow. I'm guessing it's using USB v1 speed.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get the installation done quicker (assuming I get USB2 drivers running)?

Oh, and since USB2 HDDs are transferring via the USB interface, are they quicker than a USB stick?

P.S. I get paid per Job, so the more I can get done, the better. :)

Edited by tom_kauf

• 2 months later...
Guest grahammack

just a query about this.

will i be able to use this method of xp installation to install windows to a desktop pc which has boot from usb option ?

thanks in advance

Graham

• 3 months later...
Guest deadphill

Did anyone get over this error: File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. The error code is 18

I have one someone has asked me to sort out for them but its driving me insane. I have used at least 4 different usb sticks, all are new (in last year)

I have tried the method stated and a couple of downloads which say they automatically make the drive bootable and then to load!

Please any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Phill

• 3 months later...
Guest BowieBowie
Did anyone get over this error: File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. The error code is 18

I have one someone has asked me to sort out for them but its driving me insane. I have used at least 4 different usb sticks, all are new (in last year)

I have tried the method stated and a couple of downloads which say they automatically make the drive bootable and then to load!

Please any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Phill

Dunno if you have solved this problem yet but what I have heard is it won't work with Windows XP SP2.

Here is a another guide and it works for me (using Windows XP Pro SP2).

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installin...-usb-thumb.html

I only used a USB card with my MicroSD 4gb and it works just fine B)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest azz2811

if you are not worried about the size of windows vista on ur internal sd card (u have modded it with a internal 16gb or something like that) can you use this program to put windows vista on a usb.

thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest theunseen

This is not working for me. I attempted this on Apsire One netbook (n270)

I did the txt mode first, then it rebooted and did gui mode. It went all the way through, automatically

rebooted itself and then gives me an error that there is a missing or corrupt hal.dll file. I got the

same error on two copies of XP as well.

If I boot up once again from USB and enter gui mode, I get a BSOD. I cannot make out the error code

since it goes through fast.

• 1 year later...
Guest crazycomputerman

Hello there Paul

Should i copy original XP to USB directly or need to be PEBuilder first? Mine boot didnt work :P

And are you fan of Camervans? Im fan of those and i love T1 & T2 ;)

• 2 weeks later...