GroundSurf... controlled by HTC touch screen devices!

Guest FlangeArtist

Guest FlangeArtist
ratleads.jpg
Thanks for this rather bizarre news from MoDaCo member FlangeArtist! ;)

Designed by Paris-based company, Ratleads, GroundSurf is a three-wheeled board that you ride on the streets, is powered by an electric motor and has its speed controlled through a Bluetooth enabled cellular phone. So it’s an electric skateboard, right? Wrong! Stephane Pelletier of Ratleads says, “First of all, it’s a surfboard, not a skateboard – the surf feeling, but on the ground. It’s been tested and developed with professional surfers. The back is a very specific truck that moves in different dimensional ways. Compared to a skateboard, it’s not moving the same way at all. You really have to try it to believe it.”

Behind the single front wheel is an aluminum block with a battery and on some models, a Bluetooth receiver from Stollman. The speed is then controlled from a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone. If you want to go faster, slide a finger up the screen. To slow down, slide your finger down. Ratleads will offer downloadable software for HTC touch-screen phones initially.

The first available model of the Groundsurf has sensor pads that cause the board to accelerate or brake depending on whether a rider leans forward or backward. Initial availability is from California-based surfboard manufacturer Gordon & Smith and will retail for $1,770-$2,040.

This seems like a novel idea from Ratleads but they have set high goals for Groundsurf. They hope to sell 10,000 boards in the coming year. Will you buy one?

For more information, visit Ratleads.com.

This would be great fun!!

until you fell of with your 400 Pound / 800 Dollar phone in your hand......and smashed it into little pieces :(

Imagine the fun you could have controlling it with someone else riding the thing though ;)

Guest xorangefirex

Looks like a pretty swift little device. Although I have to say that it will never catch on anywhere with a price tag like that. How many rich businessmen do you know that are going to spend $2,000 to ride around on a motorized skateboard?

• 1 month later...
Guest squilla
bah! i am from devon... it s not gong to catch on down here thats for sure :)

If its going to catch on anywhere it would be Newquay! I can just see them all along the front on thier remote control boards, well, maybe if it was cheaper, you can buy about 3 new surf boards for the price of 1 of those!

My partner surfs and I cant picture him with one, we could buy a new van for one of those!

Well I reckon PPC and smartphones will catch on amongst the surfers since they are all impressed when I get mine out to check the tide times and surf predictions for them while sitting on the beach at Croyde or there abouts :D

Great to see another Modaco-er in the south west, I was sure I couldnt be the only one!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.